A head's up.

Story Announcements, Links, almost anything goes here...
No Spoilers

Moderator: Sennadar Moderators

Forum rules
Important: No Spoilers in this forum
Read the more detailed forum rules for more info.
Fel
Weavespinner

A head's up.

Post by Fel »

With my Mother in Maine, I have time to write again.

I've had time for a whie, but my writing laptop was having issues (it's very old and has a version of Word on it you can't get anymore, so I don't want to replace it). I think I have it mostly fixed, so I should be able to get back on something of a reduced writing schedule.

Though the laptop's cooling fan is still on the verge of dying. I haven't had the time to replace that, mainly because the coronavirus shutdown has shut down all the computer repair shops in my area. I'm techie enough to replace or install components in my desktop, but I don't mess with laptops, so I have to have a pro do that for me.

I know I said I hoped to have the last chapter of Revolution out by now, and I'm sorry about that. But I think I have a viable excuse for my tardiness.
Just another guy from the shallow end of the gene pool.
Bester
Sorcerer

Re: A head's up.

Post by Bester »

While I can't deny wishing for a new chapter, you shouldn't worry about delays. You have enough issues on your plate, and all of us can be patient.

Is there any word about how your mother's treatment is going?
trodrian
Sorcerer

Post by trodrian »

Thanks for the update. I hope Mamá is doing ok in Maine.
Greymist
Weavespinner

Post by Greymist »

Fel wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:45 pm I've had time for a whie, but my writing laptop was having issues (it's very old and has a version of Word on it you can't get anymore, so I don't want to replace it). I think I have it mostly fixed, so I should be able to get back on something of a reduced writing schedule.
I think this shows some amusing insight into a writers mind, that things need to be exactly right to...write ;) A specific computer with a specific version of Word.

Niami help us if you lose the laptop. Actually, just to be prepared, can you let us know what laptop, and what version of Word, so we can be prepared to rustle something up haha.

Obviously Fel, write when you can, and when you feel up to it. We'll accept anything you give us, including Brony/SpiritWalker / Sennadar/Subjugation crossover fiction.
Andygal
Sorcerer

Post by Andygal »

Nobody is going to begrudge you for the delays with everything going on in your life right now. Here's hoping the laptop keeps on limping along a while longer.
Old signature was in need of replacement, insert clever new signature here.
jeffreyC
Novice

Post by jeffreyC »

Greymist wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 4:25 pm
Fel wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:45 pm I've had time for a whie, but my writing laptop was having issues (it's very old and has a version of Word on it you can't get anymore, so I don't want to replace it). I think I have it mostly fixed, so I should be able to get back on something of a reduced writing schedule.
I think this shows some amusing insight into a writers mind, that things need to be exactly right to...write ;) A specific computer with a specific version of Word.

Niami help us if you lose the laptop. Actually, just to be prepared, can you let us know what laptop, and what version of Word, so we can be prepared to rustle something up haha.
Definitely do that.
Also which version of Word is it? (I am a packrat by inclination and may have it - or know where to find it)
If the English language had a flag it would have to be the Jolly Roger.
Fel
Weavespinner

Post by Fel »

Since you're curious, it's a version of Word released specifically for college students (educational version or something like that) for Windows XP.

The laptop is an ASUS EEE. I think it's about to turn 14.
Wolfee
Mi'Shara

Post by Wolfee »

Fel wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:01 am Since you're curious, it's a version of Word released specifically for college students (educational version or something like that) for Windows XP.

The laptop is an ASUS EEE. I think it's about to turn 14.
Fel go to help at the top of word and select about. Probably like word 98 or something always did like that version
konman
Da'Shar

Post by konman »

Hi Fel

Take a look in your program files folder for Microsoft Office in that you will see a folder called Office with a number.

Even if you only have Word it will be in a Microsoft Office folder

Office9 was Office 2000
Office10 was Office XP
Office11 was Office 2003

I know Word 2003 will still run on a Windows 10 machine, not sure about previous versions.
Everyone has A photographic memory.
Some just don't have any film!
Fel
Weavespinner

Post by Fel »

I should have the last chapter of Revolution done by the weekend.

I've discovered I don't have as much time to write as I thought. Even with Mom in Maine, I'm far more busy than I expected to be.
NSC
Katzh-dashi

Post by NSC »

I think we can be patient, and I'm sure we all hope your mom is doing better.
thalwous
Talent

Post by thalwous »

Fel,
Have you thought of using Libre Office?
It does most of what Microsoft office does and Libre is free :D
Fel
Weavespinner

Post by Fel »

I looked into it. If I have to replace my laptop, I'll probably go with it.

MS pissed me off with their new "subscription" model. I'm not paying an annual fee to use software I have to buy. Screw that.
gnume
Sui'Kun

Post by gnume »

You can still buy one off copies.

Personally im lucky being by the microsoft hup program
CRYUnicornClear
Initiate

Post by CRYUnicornClear »

Have you tried creating a recovery disc of program and upload it and use same key?