A serious update.

Story Announcements, Links, almost anything goes here...
No Spoilers

Moderator: Sennadar Moderators

Forum rules
Important: No Spoilers in this forum
Read the more detailed forum rules for more info.
Andygal
Sorcerer

Re: A serious update.

Post by Andygal »

I'm so sorry, I lost my nana in a similar manner (COPD followed by lung cancer) years ago so I really feel what you're going through right now.

Best wishes.
Old signature was in need of replacement, insert clever new signature here.
Wolfee
Mi'Shara

Post by Wolfee »

Sorry to hear that Fel - will keep your family's situation in my thoughts and prayers.
D.F. Thompson
Sorcerer

Post by D.F. Thompson »

Oh man I’m sorry to hear that. There is nothing I can say thats has already been said other then we’ll keep you and yours in our thoughts and prayers. Just please don’t forget you have people that care about you for more then your stories you spin. If you need an ear or two to bend even if it’s just to vent just remember we’re here for you
I know that the voices in my head aren't real.
But they do have some damned good ideas. = ~.^ =
Fel
Weavespinner

Post by Fel »

Just an update:

Things have changed a lot for us. Despite my mother's health, the doctors think that they can treat her cancer with radiation and chemo. It's not going to be easy on her, and it very well may kill her, but she's decided that she's willing to risk that. So, she's going to go into a treatment program, and due to the advanced stage of the cancer, she has to start it as soon as possible.

If you've never seen what that kind of treatment does to a person, let me just say that it won't be fun for her. Because of the treatments, she'll require 24/7 care until the treatment is done and she regains her strength. And this is where things get hard for me, because I can't provide that. I HAVE to work, if I don't work we starve, and unfortunately, we couldn't arrange in-home nursing or support care on such short notice.

So, my mother has decided to go to Maine to live with my sister while she undergoes the treatment. My sister can provide 24/7 care for her (she's retired), and since she was a nurse before she retired, that care will be everything that she needs.

Since my sister is a nurse and knows the health care industry, she's already found the best oncology department within driving distance of her home in Maine. Mom starts her treatment in early June, and we're all hoping that the treatment is successful.

All we can do now is wait, hope, and pray.
Just another guy from the shallow end of the gene pool.
gnume
Sui'Kun

Post by gnume »

Good luck.
i hope for the bast for your mom.
at last its a treatable cancer.
imthejman85
Sorcerer

Post by imthejman85 »

Fingers crossed the treatment works and she doesn't have complications. It's cliché but your family is in our hearts and prayers Fel. Take care of your family.
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. -George Orwell
trodrian
Sorcerer

Post by trodrian »

My BIL's mother receives in-home care for COPD and numerous other things. She is 98, and about twice a year, Hospice Care is called in to care for her. Each time, Hospice Care is converted into Palliative Care and then reverts back to home-based care.
With your mother already in home-based care with cancer, I suspect an organization like Hospice might be able to help get her into one of their programs.

I hope everything works out well for her, Thomas
NSC
Katzh-dashi

Post by NSC »

I pray that your mom's response to the treatment is positive, with minimal side effects. It's good that she will have family caring for her, and you will be able to continue work. Thanks for keeping us informed.
RobJ
Katzh-dashi

Post by RobJ »

Fel my thoughts are with you and your family. Please take care and I will be thinking positively for your Mum whilst she goes into battle.

Be Well,
Rob.
DaveS
Talent

Post by DaveS »

Fel,

There's really nothing I can add to the other comments.

Our prayers go with you and your family.

We'll still be here when you resume writing. No matter how long that will take.

Dave