What are you reading currently - What Series / Authors are you actively watching?

Story Announcements, Links, almost anything goes here...
No Spoilers

Moderator: Sennadar Moderators

Forum rules
Important: No Spoilers in this forum
Read the more detailed forum rules for more info.
Wolfee
Mi'Shara

What are you reading currently - What Series / Authors are you actively watching?

Post by Wolfee »

Well other than waiting for Fel to release his next chapter I am monitoring the following authors for a release to alleviate the tedium.

The first set is my standard long term authors:
David Weber, John Ringo, Glen Stewart, Eric Flint, Ryke Spoor, Eric Z. Williams, Ilona Andrews, J. D. Robb, and others.

Of Note (several of the above authors have books coming out shortly:
- Glen Stewart - 7th in the Duchy of Terra Universe.
- J.D. Robb has 2 books in her "In Death" series coming out yet this year.
- David Weber has something coming out this year from a new series he's writing.
- John Ringo - blah blah blah - hasn't touched the series I'm waiting for him to continue for years.
- Ryke Spoor is working on the 4th Arena book last I knew.
- Ilona Andrews has at least 1 more book this year coming out.
- Will Wight should have at least 1 or 2 books yet to publish this year.
- E. William Brown - been over a year since he published his last book or updated anything other than SubscribeStar - hopefully he will publish again soon.

In my Second set of authors is comprised of my current Kindle Unlimited authors. Lots of LITRPG, Wuxia, cultivation etc. These are all series or multiple books worth into a series. I make no promises about these independent authors, but their books are at the least readable and entertaining if not exactly examples of the best sentence composition to be found.

First Login series by Jason Cheek
Shadow Sun Survival series by Dave Willmarth
Chaos Seed series by Aleron Kong
Apocalypse Reborn by L. M. Kerr
Dragon Heart series by Kirill Klevanski
The Complishionist Chronicles by Dakota Krout
Towers of Heaven by Cameron Milan
Rise to Omniscience Aaron Oster
Tower of Power by Ivan Kal
World Tree On-Line by EA Hooper
Desire Series by Cameron Milan
Chrystal Shards On-Line by Rick Scott

I would appreciate any recommendations of series to read or authors to explore.... teleworking and about burned out on video games to boot.
mjkj
Katzh-dashi

Re: What are you reading currently - What Series / Authors are you actively watching?

Post by mjkj »

I am mostly reading webnovels on RoyalRoad and ScribbleHub at the moment...

Hope you find some nice stories there
Wolfee
Mi'Shara

Re: What are you reading currently - What Series / Authors are you actively watching?

Post by Wolfee »

mjkj wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:56 pm I am mostly reading webnovels on RoyalRoad and ScribbleHub at the moment...

Hope you find some nice stories there
I knew about Royal Road, have read a book on there before, I'll have to take a look again.
D.F. Thompson
Sorcerer

Post by D.F. Thompson »

Currently reading Maid to Order: A Catgirl Harem Adventure (Build a Catgirl Book 1 by Simon Archer on kindle. Once I finish it next in que is Witch of the Federation V Federal Histories book 5 by Michael Anderle
I know that the voices in my head aren't real.
But they do have some damned good ideas. = ~.^ =
kyli
Mi'Shara

Post by kyli »

Wolfee wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:33 am Well other than waiting for Fel to release his next chapter I am monitoring the following authors for a release to alleviate the tedium.
Well you've got quite a few authors in your list whom I have read and liked.

Will Wight
E William Brown
Chaos Seed series by Aleron Kong
Apocalypse Reborn by L. M. Kerr
Dragon Heart series by Kirill Klevanski
The Complishionist Chronicles by Dakota Krout 
Towers of Heaven by Cameron Milan
Rise to Omniscience Aaron Oster
Desire Series by Cameron Milan

Those are all the books you mentioned that I've read and enjoyed. Currently I'm rereading Ell Donsaii series by Laurence Dahners in preparation for the release of Ell Donsaii 16 which is releasing tomorrow.

If you don't mind harem books, (which I assume you don't, since you got E William Brown on the list,) I recommend William D Arand, John Van Stry and Jan Stryvant. Also Blaise Corvin is pretty good.

And Tony Corden's Stork Tower Series is my favorite Litrpg series.

D.L. Harrison has a few series which aren't bad either.

All of these books are on Kindle Unlimited.
"I got stabbed. After 10 days of agony, the sword died."
Wolfee
Mi'Shara

Post by Wolfee »

Thank you! On chapter 58 of Song of the Void - pretty good. Though the Prologue was written by someone who had clearly listened to the Didact's speech from HALO 4 - Legendary Ending.
GBLW
Mi'Shara

Post by GBLW »

Not reading much, just writing a bit on a new story and watching a fair bit of TV. Meanwhile being a homebody, what with Covid19 running rampant outside
K Pelle aka GBLW
My recent stories are available at: http://www.grynenbayritpublications.com/
kd7mvs
Sui'Kun

Post by kd7mvs »

A variety of LNs and Manga from J-Novel Club, Yen Press, Seven Seas Entertainment, etc.
Plus various fan TLs of WNs/LNs at scattered web sites; a fair number at Light Novels Translations, but that's not surprising since I'm one of their volunteer editors...

A fair amount of anime being watched, as well.

Given having pretty much finished moving my stuff from my old home to my new digs the day before the lockdown went into effect here in Washington State, I actually have more social interaction with others on a daily basis than prior to the current unpleasantness; instead of living on my own, I'm living with my sister and sister-in-law.
Wolfee
Mi'Shara

Post by Wolfee »

Unfortunately Tony Corden's Stork Tower didn't really interest me and I'm kinda over Jan Stryvant. Went over to Baen publishing today to see what was coming from them for the next 6 months... pretty disappointed to be honest. I did find some stories on Royal Road that are entertaining - glad I went back and looked some more.
kyli
Mi'Shara

Post by kyli »

I'm currently reading some translated Chinese cultivation books on wuxiaworld.com. I really enjoyed Against the Gods
https://www.wuxiaworld.com/novel/against-the-gods/
It isn't complete yet unfortunately, but the current pace of chapters being released is 1 a day. It's also very long at nearly 1700 chapters currently.

What I'm reading now is Talisman Emperor.
https://www.wuxiaworld.com/novel/talisman-emperor
It's even longer at over 2200 chapters but I think its complete. I'm less then 150 chapters in right now.
Kacoo
Initiate

Post by Kacoo »

kyli wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 5:33 pm I'm currently reading some translated Chinese cultivation books on wuxiaworld.com. I really enjoyed Against the Gods
It isn't complete yet unfortunately, but the current pace of chapters being released is 1 a day. It's also very long at nearly 1700 chapters currently.

It's even longer at over 2200 chapters but I think its complete. I'm less then 150 chapters in right now.
how is the translation?
Im just worried cause the last few translated works Ive read didn't convey the concepts that were meant, so came off as lighter than the original.

Also if its not plot relevant to the story what is "Cultivation"?
Wolfee
Mi'Shara

Post by Wolfee »

Kacoo wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 12:33 am
kyli wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 5:33 pm I'm currently reading some translated Chinese cultivation books on wuxiaworld.com. I really enjoyed Against the Gods

how is the translation?
Im just worried cause the last few translated works Ive read didn't convey the concepts that were meant, so came off as lighter than the original.

Also if its not plot relevant to the story what is "Cultivation"?
Cultivation - Asian Mysticism where by one circulates ones Qi or personal magic through the body carving mana pathways, opening onesmeridians and growing strong through combat, often through kills. Working ones way to becoming an immortal (ageless not unkillable) by gaining "levels". Often use pills and medicines made of increasingly rare and exotic components to power your advancement....
foxenhound
Talent

Post by foxenhound »

If you want more LitRPG there is Awaken Online - Travis Bagwell and Endless online by M.H. Johnson with Kindle Unlimited. If you like M.H. Johnson he also has a litRPG/Wuxia book called Silver Fox and The Western Hero: Warrior Reborn. I would also recommend the Cradle Series by Will, Wight.

For non Kindle Unlimited books in a much different fantasy Genre The Magicians by Lev Grossman was good.
kyli
Mi'Shara

Post by kyli »

The translation is good enough in my opinion. I find it annoying that the authors drop numbers like 50000km for "small regions" even though that's about the circumference of earth, and that's just one example. The distances are always unbelievably huge and although I can overlook it, it can be annoying to me. It seems to be a something that cultivation do fairly often.