Sennadar migration / Wiki re-added

Story Announcements, Links, almost anything goes here...
No Spoilers

Moderator: Sennadar Moderators

Forum rules
Important: No Spoilers in this forum
Read the more detailed forum rules for more info.
Greymist
Weavespinner

Sennadar migration / Wiki re-added

Post by Greymist »

Hello folks,

Today I migrated the forums from a server in the United Kingdom, to an Azure virtual machine hosted in Eastern United States. Hopefully everything should be working fine, and should actually be faster for the majority of users, but if you notice any issues please ping me on here, or drop me a message on twitter (https://twitter.com/karlb_).

Also, I - after like 10 years - finally restored the sennadar wikipedia, it's available at https://wiki.sennadar.com. It's horribly out of date, and lacking content on a lot of Fel's newer books, but go forth and populate it!

Still on my todo list (never happen) is to create a front page on www.sennadar.com which hosts an archive of all the books. I'd be tempted to point it to www.weavespinner.net, but it's so 1990's style ;)

(Sorry Fawks :P - seriously though, would you be ok with me putting a link on sennadar.com pointing to weavespinner? And if I ever get around to designing something new I may speak to you about moving the archive there? Only with your input and permission of course, I know you've done a LOT of work creating the files archives for each book, and putting your spelling/formatting/etc corrections in them )
Mari
Initiate

Re: Sennadar migration / Wiki re-added

Post by Mari »

Thank you appreciate all the hard work.
Ships were never meant to stay in the Harbour.
They where meant for the the deep ocean waters.
They where created out of Hope, We where created out of Hope.
calista241
Katzh-dashi

Post by calista241 »

sweet! nice work.
Rakarath
Sorcerer

Post by Rakarath »

Thanks for your hard work !
Not a ID
Da'Shar

Post by Not a ID »

I'd been wondering the past few weeks why there wasn't a wiki for Subjugation. It basically needs one at this point.

Now I know why, and discover it dates back to the first book, and is both overly detailed in some respects, and woefully inadequate in most others.

That's going to be a lot of work for someone, or a bunch of someones.
Greymist
Weavespinner

Post by Greymist »

Not a ID wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:02 am I'd been wondering the past few weeks why there wasn't a wiki for Subjugation. It basically needs one at this point.

Now I know why, and discover it dates back to the first book, and is both overly detailed in some respects, and woefully inadequate in most others.

That's going to be a lot of work for someone, or a bunch of someones.
Feel free to add to it next time you do a re-read of one of the books ;)

I do wish I had put it back up at the beginning of this year when I re-read all the Sennadar books.
Not a ID
Da'Shar

Post by Not a ID »

I was already on book 7 in the series when the wiki was restored. :(

Biggest thing right now I'm pondering over is the spoiler matter in regards to creating character entries, or updating entries. A very minor example would be Elari Trillane, do we create the entry under that name, redirect it to Kumi, change it to Elari Karinne, or some hybrid that includes Kumi in it? She's obviously a minor spoiler at this point as she's been Elari "Kumi" Karrine since the end of the first Subjugation Book, but not so much for other characters.

The other thing is I'm noticing some of the earlier complaints about dates "getting a bit wonky," as I was considering trying to approximate known birth-years or even dates(on a given calendar) for the characters. Which isn't something I see on the wiki for the four characters on it at present.

For example in Retribution chapter 10 we get a few paragraphs that look like a good reference at first glance:
Daira, 34 Miraa, 4405, Faey Orthodox Calendar
Friday, 7 March 2019 Terran Standard Calendar
Daira, 34 Miraa, year 1330 of the 97th Generation, Karinne Historical Reference Calendar
KNS Belaar, orbiting SS2-14-2C (Tir Tairngire)
So far so good, we know what day it is...
And it was a surprise to think that he wasn’t even thirty. He was 29 years old, but sometimes, he felt like he was 80. He had lived so much of his life in the last eight years, it was like he’d packed an entire lifetime into those years. Dahnai was nearly twenty years older than him. Jyslin was seven years older than him.
And to think, ten years ago today, he was halfway through the spring semester of his freshman year at Michigan, and had no idea that the arrival of the Faey and the subjugation was just months away.
Some problems.
In the Subjugation Prologue:
On March 12th, 2005, they arrived in two immense starships and addressed the peoples of Earth via radio transmission, in every major language, that Earth had two weeks to surrender to the Faey Imperium or face war.
Subjugation Chapter 3 adds in this backstory for Jason:
Then his father got sick, and eventually died.  Jason was sixteen at the time, and he had no aunts or uncles—both his parents were only children—and all four of his grandparents had already passed away.  Instead of going into a foster family and selling the house, he won his emancipation in court by proving he was mature enough to live on his own.  The inheritance he got wasn’t that much, but it was enough to pay for him to get through high school without having to work, but it wasn’t enough to get him through college.  Luckily for him, though, the University of Michigan offered him a scholarship to play football, which he got because a scout had come to watch a game he played in, but was actually there to scout the quarterback of the opposing team.
      It hadn’t been easy, but Jason sold the house and moved to Michigan.  The money he got from the house was enough to let him buy a car and support him as he went through college without having to work.  He elected for a double major of electronics engineering and computer science, since the scholarship would pay for five years of college and he was more than willing to take summer classes.  He did like to play football, but he didn’t apply himself in football as much as he could have, and as a result ended up as a third-string safety and a special teams cover player.  He was there for the education, not the football.
Now the backstory there is vague enough we have ambiguity available, we don't know what year he was in at the High School, but being 16, it was likely to either be either his Sophomore or Junior Year. Given he was "a military brat," it was quite likely to be his Sophmore year as they typically tended to "lose a year" due to constantly moving around and differing graduation requirements. But assuming he was a 16YO Junior in High School, that would have put him as a 17YO Senior going on 18 when he graduated. It also is unclear as to how long he attended Michigan(although I think more exposition did happen elsewhere on that such as "After that, it was just like having a roommate outside of the fact that they shared a bed, something like when he was back at the University of Michigan in his first year, rooming with the strong safety, Darrel Washington." in Subjugation Chapter 12 suggesting he was there for more than a year+the 1 year wait to be tested by the Imperium), but we know that he attended at least one year at Michigan prior to the Faey's arrival on Earth. So it would be a safe enough bet that he turned at least 19 years old in 2005, which leaves a mystery as to how/why he thinks he's 29 years old in 2019, because I don't think even the magic of the Faey Calender could explain that one. If anything it likely becomes worse as the Faey add a year to a person's age unlike us humans. (Editor and/or Author error does explain it though)

Chapter 1, which is Jason's first encounter with Jyslin also gives us this:
Raista, 9 Shiaa, 4392, Orthodox calendar;
      Wednesday, 14 May 2007, Native regional reckoning
For the age given in Retribution to be right, that would have made him 17 when he first encountered Jyslin, except as per Subjugation, he presumably was in High School as a 17 year old, and the Imperium hadn't arrived on Earth yet as that didn't happen until he was in Michigan..

Subjugation Chapter 18, which begins with Jason already on Karis also provides this date stamp:
Raista, 31 Demaa, 4395 Orthodox Calendar
Wednesday, 17 November, 2008, Native Regional Reckoning
Which says that Fel and/or his editors goofed in Retribution, as both the Faey and Terran Calendars indicate 10 years(or more) have passed since Jason met Cybi, never-mind when he first became aware of the Faey about 3.5 years earlier.
GBLW
Mi'Shara

Post by GBLW »

Not a ID wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 7:04 am I was already on book 7 in the series when the wiki was restored. :(

Biggest thing right now I'm pondering over is the spoiler matter in regards to creating character entries, or updating entries. A very minor example would be Elari Trillane, do we create the entry under that name, redirect it to Kumi, change it to Elari Karinne, or some hybrid that includes Kumi in it? She's obviously a minor spoiler at this point as she's been Elari "Kumi" Karrine since the end of the first Subjugation Book, but not so much for other characters.

The other thing is I'm noticing some of the earlier complaints about dates "getting a bit wonky," as I was considering trying to approximate known birth-years or even dates(on a given calendar) for the characters. Which isn't something I see on the wiki for the four characters on it at present.

For example in Retribution chapter 10 we get a few paragraphs that look like a good reference at first glance:
Daira, 34 Miraa, 4405, Faey Orthodox Calendar
Friday, 7 March 2019 Terran Standard Calendar
Daira, 34 Miraa, year 1330 of the 97th Generation, Karinne Historical Reference Calendar
KNS Belaar, orbiting SS2-14-2C (Tir Tairngire)
So far so good, we know what day it is...
And it was a surprise to think that he wasn’t even thirty. He was 29 years old, but sometimes, he felt like he was 80. He had lived so much of his life in the last eight years, it was like he’d packed an entire lifetime into those years. Dahnai was nearly twenty years older than him. Jyslin was seven years older than him.
And to think, ten years ago today, he was halfway through the spring semester of his freshman year at Michigan, and had no idea that the arrival of the Faey and the subjugation was just months away.
Some problems.
In the Subjugation Prologue:
On March 12th, 2005, they arrived in two immense starships and addressed the peoples of Earth via radio transmission, in every major language, that Earth had two weeks to surrender to the Faey Imperium or face war.
Subjugation Chapter 3 adds in this backstory for Jason:
Then his father got sick, and eventually died.  Jason was sixteen at the time, and he had no aunts or uncles—both his parents were only children—and all four of his grandparents had already passed away.  Instead of going into a foster family and selling the house, he won his emancipation in court by proving he was mature enough to live on his own.  The inheritance he got wasn’t that much, but it was enough to pay for him to get through high school without having to work, but it wasn’t enough to get him through college.  Luckily for him, though, the University of Michigan offered him a scholarship to play football, which he got because a scout had come to watch a game he played in, but was actually there to scout the quarterback of the opposing team.
      It hadn’t been easy, but Jason sold the house and moved to Michigan.  The money he got from the house was enough to let him buy a car and support him as he went through college without having to work.  He elected for a double major of electronics engineering and computer science, since the scholarship would pay for five years of college and he was more than willing to take summer classes.  He did like to play football, but he didn’t apply himself in football as much as he could have, and as a result ended up as a third-string safety and a special teams cover player.  He was there for the education, not the football.
Now the backstory there is vague enough we have ambiguity available, we don't know what year he was in at the High School, but being 16, it was likely to either be either his Sophomore or Junior Year. Given he was "a military brat," it was quite likely to be his Sophmore year as they typically tended to "lose a year" due to constantly moving around and differing graduation requirements. But assuming he was a 16YO Junior in High School, that would have put him as a 17YO Senior going on 18 when he graduated. It also is unclear as to how long he attended Michigan(although I think more exposition did happen elsewhere on that such as "After that, it was just like having a roommate outside of the fact that they shared a bed, something like when he was back at the University of Michigan in his first year, rooming with the strong safety, Darrel Washington." in Subjugation Chapter 12 suggesting he was there for more than a year+the 1 year wait to be tested by the Imperium), but we know that he attended at least one year at Michigan prior to the Faey's arrival on Earth. So it would be a safe enough bet that he turned at least 19 years old in 2005, which leaves a mystery as to how/why he thinks he's 29 years old in 2019, because I don't think even the magic of the Faey Calender could explain that one. If anything it likely becomes worse as the Faey add a year to a person's age unlike us humans. (Editor and/or Author error does explain it though)

Chapter 1, which is Jason's first encounter with Jyslin also gives us this:
Raista, 9 Shiaa, 4392, Orthodox calendar;
      Wednesday, 14 May 2007, Native regional reckoning
For the age given in Retribution to be right, that would have made him 17 when he first encountered Jyslin, except as per Subjugation, he presumably was in High School as a 17 year old, and the Imperium hadn't arrived on Earth yet as that didn't happen until he was in Michigan..

Subjugation Chapter 18, which begins with Jason already on Karis also provides this date stamp:
Raista, 31 Demaa, 4395 Orthodox Calendar
Wednesday, 17 November, 2008, Native Regional Reckoning
Which says that Fel and/or his editors goofed in Retribution, as both the Faey and Terran Calendars indicate 10 years(or more) have passed since Jason met Cybi, never-mind when he first became aware of the Faey about 3.5 years earlier.
Time Travel????? :twisted: :lol:
K Pelle aka GBLW
My recent stories are available at: http://www.grynenbayritpublications.com/
Not a ID
Da'Shar

Post by Not a ID »

Evidently. There some other more subtle ones. Like the Kimdori expedition leaving for Andromeda after the Consortium attacks on Karis, for a journey that is supposed to take a little over 5 years. Only for them arrive in Andromeda at about the same time the Benga are arriving on the edge of the Milky Way, some 3-ish years later. But I haven't gone back to tag the date headers for all of that fun and games. 8)

Of course, they could have "worm hole skipped" as that was stuff they were experimenting with prior to that, except that wasn't mentioned, and given the subsequent discoveries regarding flat-space, that's unlikely to be true. It was rendered rather moot by Project F very shortly after that anyhow.
kyli
Mi'Shara

Post by kyli »

I thought the Kimdori used a wormhole to get their 3 scout ships about halfway to Andromeda. Somewhere around Inception 5 or something. Jason wasn't happy with Zaa about it because of the risk. I haven't read it in a couple years so I could have some details wrong.
"I got stabbed. After 10 days of agony, the sword died."
Not a ID
Da'Shar

Post by Not a ID »

Zaa almost did it, but Jason talked them out of doing it, as I understood things on my recent read-through.

But anyhow, further discussion on time-line issues for Subjugation should probably be done in the Subjugation forum, rather than in an announcement thread present in multiple forums. ;)
Wolfee
Mi'Shara

Post by Wolfee »

Not a ID wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 6:14 am Zaa almost did it, but Jason talked them out of doing it, as I understood things on my recent read-through.

But anyhow, further discussion on time-line issues for Subjugation should probably be done in the Subjugation forum, rather than in an announcement thread present in multiple forums. ;)
Zaa DID use an artificial wormhole to shorten the journey of the 3 scout ships to Andromeda.