Updatish.

Story Announcements, Links, almost anything goes here...
No Spoilers

Moderator: Sennadar Moderators

Forum rules
Important: No Spoilers in this forum
Read the more detailed forum rules for more info.
konman
Da'Shar

Re: Updatish.

Post by konman »

Had a similar issue last May.
Had not been to a Doctor in over 2 years. Dizzy, skin tingling, felt like both arms fell asleep. Got to the Emergency and they told me my blood pressure was 230 over 100. Spent the next 24 hrs in the Emergency Ward.
Only to find out as they were releasing me that the held me to see if I would have a heart attack or a stroke. They don’t tell you why at the time so you don’t over react.
My blood pressure probably had been high for months maybe years before it hit me.
On Meds for the high blood pressure now. Seems to be under control but still test myself daily.
Changed my diet and walking 2 mile per day. I have lost 30 lbs since May, only 30 more to go.
Don't try to change thingsd too fast, build up to it.
Everyone has A photographic memory.
Some just don't have any film!
Wolfee
Mi'Shara

Post by Wolfee »

Per Fel.

"new medicine mix seems to be doing the job. Felt pretty good since I got out of the hospital.

And I'll be back to writing tomorrow. About 2/3 of the way through ret13, hoping to have it done sometime next week."
artreus
Sorcerer

Post by artreus »

I just wonder if fel's mom will make some more tweets, maybe some forum post now ?
or just a guest appearance in the next chapter ?
Fel
Weavespinner

Post by Fel »

artreus wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:04 pm I just wonder if fel's mom will make some more tweets, maybe some forum post now ?
or just a guest appearance in the next chapter ?
My mother is 72 years old and only has access to twitter when she has my phone. ;)

I'm honestly surprised she figured out how to tweet. She's not anachronistic, but she has issues with programs she doesn't know. But once she learns how they work, she's pretty savvy.
Just another guy from the shallow end of the gene pool.
reborn
Novice

Post by reborn »

konman wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:00 pm Had a similar issue last May.
Had not been to a Doctor in over 2 years. Dizzy, skin tingling, felt like both arms fell asleep. Got to the Emergency and they told me my blood pressure was 230 over 100. Spent the next 24 hrs in the Emergency Ward.
Only to find out as they were releasing me that the held me to see if I would have a heart attack or a stroke. They don’t tell you why at the time so you don’t over react.
My blood pressure probably had been high for months maybe years before it hit me.
On Meds for the high blood pressure now. Seems to be under control but still test myself daily.
Changed my diet and walking 2 mile per day. I have lost 30 lbs since May, only 30 more to go.
Don't try to change thingsd too fast, build up to it.
Keep going.
Its very important to drop the BP below around 190 systolic and then do it slowly. Otherwise people fall over and that can cause other problems.

There should be other tests they do, ie an echo/ other tests for malignant hypertension depending on your age and blood test results
kd7mvs
Sui'Kun

Post by kd7mvs »

Fel,

Your comment on coming up on 50 and starting to feel your mortality caused me to chuckle a bit.

I'll be 58 in December, and still think of myself as a kid, in some ways, even given my various physical problems.

Mind, none of my ailments are as life threatening as what you've been experiencing, just a wide variety of arthritis and persistent pain in a couple of sections of the body. And the occasional kidney stone; thankfully the kidney stone episode earlier this week was the first in over a decade.

But, I will admit to a growing awareness of mortality, not necessarily my own, over recent years as so many of those who were amongst my teachers in my youth, and others of like vintage whom I've interacted with over the years, have died.

An awful lot of the SF writers from my youth are long dead by now. I started reading SF circa 1971, and pretty much all of those publishing then are dead.

I have two remaining uncles, but other than that, everyone from my parent's generation and earlier has died. All of my grandparents were born prior to 1900, and one of them lasted to 2001 (she was 104 when she died), and my parents were 35 the year I was born (they both were born in 1925), so it's not that odd that so few remain.

A good many of those I met when I first got involved with the SCA are also long gone. While my first contact was circa 1972, and my first event 1976, it wasn't until 1980, a year out of high school, that I got active, and knew a number of individuals who had been involved since the very beginning in 1966, or at least the first couple of years. It's very strange looking around and seeing that I'm now one of the old hands.

So, yes, do take care of yourself. Hopefully the new meds will help, and losing weight is not a bad thing to do.
lapland
Katzh-dashi

Post by lapland »

Fel, just read your tweet. OMG, it could be a chapter all on it's own. Epic battle, that doesn't include Jason and his super brain. BTW, I read tweets but never respond to them, but had to comment.. For everyone else go read them.
Wolfee
Mi'Shara

Post by Wolfee »

Glad you are writing the next chapter Fel! But, please take a walk every evening and consider getting a treadmill for the winter or hitting the gym. My folks retired a year ago at 70. My mother walks a minimum of 10k steps every day. Dad is in good shape as well, lifts weights but doesn't enjoy walking so much.
GotToGo
Da'Shar

Post by GotToGo »

Fel,
How are you doing after your recent Medical Scare? All the above advice and I'm sure you've been hearing about, take on what calls/fits you otherwise you will not maintain it over the long haul. Do it at your pace, which none can tell you but yourself. But make sure its not setting on your butt and doing nothing!

Then and only then, are you getting any writing done on this fabulous tale of your furtive mind?
Fel
Weavespinner

Post by Fel »

So far, the new medicine dosage is working. My BP is remaining stable and I haven't had another attack since the change.

But so far, they still don't know what caused it. I have another appointment in 2 weeks, where they're going to check out my kidneys. Seems your kidneys can create BP spikes, so they want to rule those out.

And yes, I'm back to writing now that I feel better.
GotToGo
Da'Shar

Post by GotToGo »

Thanks for the update, sounds like you're on the right track. Keep the chin up cause I've driven Doctors crazy with their one size for everyone doesn't always work for all of us! Best of luck and health to ya.

Love your tales and waiting much more...
GotToGo
Da'Shar

Post by GotToGo »

Fel, have you written enough to give us any projections? Thanks in advance any response.
imthejman85
Sorcerer

Post by imthejman85 »

GotToGo wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:34 pm Fel, have you written enough to give us any projections? Thanks in advance any response.
I second this question...
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. -George Orwell
Wolfee
Mi'Shara

Post by Wolfee »

Fel, just wondering if your health is stable and if the doctors had given you any solid information? Saw your posts from a tweet from 2 weeks ago, just hoping that by now you have some real information rather than guesses.
Fel
Weavespinner

Post by Fel »

No definitive diagnosis yet.

The meds still seem to be keeping my BP under control. Still haven't had any spikes since the change.

I've done like 10 different tests, and I have another appointment on Tuesday.

So right now I feel fine, just waiting and hoping they figure out what's wrong.