Audiobooks

Story Announcements, Links, almost anything goes here...
No Spoilers

Moderator: Sennadar Moderators

Forum rules
Important: No Spoilers in this forum
Read the more detailed forum rules for more info.
zjoske
Initiate

Audiobooks

Post by zjoske »

Recently I have become addicted to audiobooks. This way I get a lot more 'reading' done as previously.
But now I am wondering who would be a great narrator for Fel's books? Any suggestions?
My suggestion for the Tarrin books: James Marsters
kyli
Mi'Shara

Re: Audiobooks

Post by kyli »

The best narrator that i've heard by a wide margin in my opinion is Michael Kramer. He narratored the Wheel of Time audiobooks along with Kate Reading and has also done The Mistborn Trioligy and is doing the Stormlight Archive. I haven't heard anyone better then him.

Unfortuately, we probably wont ever have the sennadar books in audio.
"I got stabbed. After 10 days of agony, the sword died."
kal
Katzh-dashi

Post by kal »

Samuel L. Jackson!!!!!
Fish
Novice

Post by Fish »

James earl jones just imagine darth Vader doing the subjugation series.
All I can say is awesome
Wolfee
Mi'Shara

Post by Wolfee »

Jack Nicholson - J/K!!

Nathan Fillion
zjoske
Initiate

Post by zjoske »

kyli wrote:Unfortuately, we probably wont ever have the sennadar books in audio.
Maybe we should do a kickstarter :lol:
kal
Katzh-dashi

Post by kal »

Fish wrote:James earl jones just imagine darth Vader doing the subjugation series.
All I can say is awesome
you sir win this thread.
zjoske
Initiate

Post by zjoske »

kal wrote:
Fish wrote:James earl jones just imagine darth Vader doing the subjugation series.
All I can say is awesome
you sir win this thread.
I think mr Jones would be a bit too much for subjugation.
I would go for Sir Patrick Steward, or maybe Nathan Fillion. (If Lenard Nimoy was still alive, he would have been my absolute favourite)
wathman
Novice

Post by wathman »

I prefer function over style when it comes to Audiobooks. One hour commutes twice a day are so much better with books read out loud. For general usage, an app I think was suggested somewhere on this site works great for me. Voice Dream. Just throw any kind of text / book file at it and it will read it in a clear but mechanical voice. It even has a custom dictionary to help out with pronunciation of unusual names or proper nouns, just sound things out phonetically for the app. While I agree top notch voice talent can make a book experience even better, I'd have to spend way to much to keep my daily commutes stocked with material.
J-Man5
Mi'Shara

Post by J-Man5 »

I convert to ePub then use the Voice Dream app for iPhone/iPad to read to me in iOS Arthur (British) voice at 230-240 words per minute. Getting a ton of reading done and able to work at the same time. Multi-tasking to the extreme.

Also using ff2ebook.com to convert fanfictions to ePub format for same reason.
J-Man5
Rambulator
Novice

Post by Rambulator »

I make my own with TextAloud so that I have them on the Road with me.
Wolfee
Mi'Shara

Post by Wolfee »

Excellent info folks!
Bester
Sorcerer

Post by Bester »

I would highly recommend Oliver Wyman. I've previously listened to the audiobooks he did of the Monster Hunter series (Larry Correia), and am currently listening to the Safehold series (David Weber). Both series have a tremendous number of characters, and he is able to bring a different voice to them all with different tones, accents, and sounds. Safehold, in particular, is a huge series and he has done an outstanding job with it.

He brings both the characters and the exposition to life, while still keeping the narration easily understandable. He is easily head and shoulders about the narrator of any other audiobook I have listened to.