So, now that that's nearly over...

Story Announcements, Links, almost anything goes here...
No Spoilers

Moderator: Sennadar Moderators

Forum rules
Important: No Spoilers in this forum
Read the more detailed forum rules for more info.
Fel
Weavespinner

Re: So, now that that's nearly over...

Post by Fel »

I got a Troy-Bilt 42" riding mower. It's the cheapest they had, but it's still gonna cut my mowing time by a drastic amount.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_521677-270-13WM ... 19603&pl=1 if you wanna check it out.
Just another guy from the shallow end of the gene pool.
Blacktiger
Da'Shar

Post by Blacktiger »

Mow mow mow your lawn! Hehe, what's it cost? :)
NSC
Katzh-dashi

Post by NSC »

That's pretty equivalent in size and power to what I have. The only advice I can offer is to check the oil level every time you use it, even if it's just a day later, keep the oil changed regulary (this goes for engines of all types - the cheapest insurance you can get), keep the deck cleaned out after use (buildup of grass clippings causes bad airflow leading to slower/choppier mowing, plus decomposition is extremely caustic and eats the thin metal away rapidly), and keep the blades relatively sharp. I tend to sharpen my blades 3-4 times per season. Other than that, enjoy the ride and getting away from everything. I can't say I enjoy mowing, but I really don't mind it all that much. It gives me time to ponder many things that are on my mind.
baengi
Initiate

Post by baengi »

i feel you Fel, My own's is 55k square feet. Take almost 2 hours with my old lawn tractor. going motorized is the only way to cut down lawn mowing time
wathman
Novice

Post by wathman »

Just re-read Kit and this post reminded me of a passage in it:
He leaned his head back against the velvet-covered wall behind him, watching a riding mower roll back and forth across the football field-sized front lawn, part of the meticulous grooming the entire manor underwent on a weekly basis. Even the woods behind the house and within the fence were carefully maintained, each tree watched over and the ground between them kept clean of branches. He watched the mower run from one edge to the other, turn around, and then come back.
J-Man5
Mi'Shara

Post by J-Man5 »

Ours is a full 3 acres that we mow. It takes the better part of a weekend but since we are rural we let it grow higher between mowings. What keeps the upkeep levels up around here are the dropping Live Oak leaves twice a year and the dropping of Live Oak pollen tassel clean up. That mess just gets everywhere.

J-Man5