Need advise on Computer Hardware

Story Announcements, Links, almost anything goes here...
No Spoilers

Moderator: Sennadar Moderators

Forum rules
Important: No Spoilers in this forum
Read the more detailed forum rules for more info.
Hearly
Speed Racer!

Need advise on Computer Hardware

Post by Hearly »

Ok I was thinking about building a full new system (currently have a 3930k cpu) but the 6930k won't be out until the end of the year or later (and the 6700k isn't that great of an upgrade (6 cores currently vs the 4 cores in the 6700)

So I was thinking about changing my existing C drive with an SSD which would improve my system performance a lot, I have a 2TB HD currently and was thinking about going to a 2tb SSD but they're a bit expensive, Does anyone know if there is any good software out there that would let me buy a 1 TB SSD (and as long as I had less than 1TB on existing C drive) to transfer everything over to the new Drive without having to re-install?

Thanks
gnume
Sui'Kun

Re: Need advise on Computer Hardware

Post by gnume »

use an linux live cd. but it may be tricky
J-Man5
Mi'Shara

Post by J-Man5 »

I bought an Apricorn USB to SATA connector and it came with a disk duplicating software that runs in Windows and on Mac. I used it to copy my work computer drive to a new larger SSD and it was flawless. I got it from the local BestBuy.

J-Man5
Kendog
Novice

Post by Kendog »

I would advice against a straight transfer of Windows from the HDD to SSD. When Windows installs, it sets various settings depending on if it is installing to an SSD vs HDD. One example, Windows enables auto Disk Defrag as standard on HDD, but that can shorten the lifespan of an SSD so Windows doesn't do so on SSDs. On SSDs, Windows enables Trim by default, and it doesn't on HDD. There are other differences in settings and setup, these are just the ones off of the top of my head.
StainlessSR
Talent

Post by StainlessSR »

I agree with what Kendog said. It would be better to just do a fresh install on the SSD than to close your old install over.

You can even leave the HD in as a secondary drive with your programs installed to it. All you have to do is when reinstalling the programs instead of using the express install, use custom and select the d: drive as the destination (ie. "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft.NEt" becomes "D:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft.NET") this helps to keep the space on the SSD from filling up rapidly, as most programs do not get a huge boost from loading from an SSD. I use Game Save Manager to move directories to the SSD then I use them often (http://www.gamesave-manager.com/) it uses junctions to redirect the OS to the moved place making it transparent to programs and the OS plus you can move them back (from withing the program as it keeps track of what it did) after you are no longer using it often.

If you can wait to upgrade the major pieces (cpu/gpu) I would hold off on upgrading till Q4-2016/Q1-2017, as new hardware is coming out from everyone. SSD/Case/Power Supply can be upgraded now and used in a new build later.
J-Man5
Mi'Shara

Post by J-Man5 »

For me I couldn't do a fresh Windows install as I am having to use the corporate image. Sadly it's 32bit they don't know that I cloned the disk since I am not connected to the corporate LAN except through a VPN and I have a few things in place that kill off their software scans. So I had to do the clone I did change around some of the registry settings so that they were fine tuned for SSD over HDD. Sometimes a copy is all you can do especially when you don't have installation media like much of the time when you buy a system from a big box store and don't pony up for installation CDs.

J-Man5
Hearly
Speed Racer!

Post by Hearly »

ya maybe would be best to wait, I just wanted to see if I could improve the system performance with what I have for right now until the 6930's come out.
Wolfee
Mi'Shara

Post by Wolfee »

Do you just want the machine to boot quickly or do really need all your games to be on the SSD? You could go with a 120 -125 to 250 gig SSD and have all your OS and all normal software on the SSD. Games you could have 1 TB SSD or 2TB 10k drive... The machine would almost insta-boot especially if you added the fastest ram your new machine could handle. DO A FRESH OS INSTALL. Best all the way around to do a fresh OS install. Especially if your doing a all new machine.

How crazy do you want to get? Top of the line I7 1000$ Crazy could push it up more. 128gigs of ram? Right there that is about 2500-3000 dollars with the CPU cost. Dual video cards with 6 gigs on each? 1200 bucks for 2x of the model I would recommend. What is the budget? What do you want to do with the box? Water or Air cooling?
Hearly
Speed Racer!

Post by Hearly »

I try not to get super crazy, current system which I had built 4 years ago

i7 3930k
64 gig ram

2 tb HD

Now I normally replace video card every 2 years which I got a 980gtx last year which I'd toss into the new system.

What I was thinking on the new system once the 6930k are out.

i7 6930k
32 or 64 gig ram
1 or 2 TB SSD drive for main and 4-6 TB Secondary HD drive

I figure I'll toss my existing video card into it.
Wolfee
Mi'Shara

Post by Wolfee »

https://pcpartpicker.com/parts/partlist/
Can be big help. Sounds like you know where you want to go with the machine. I've had good luck with Asus, but sometimes setup on the mobo can be a pain in the rear. Also had good luck with gigbyte mobos... I always go with geforce or some other nvidia clone, ram - name brand again... if you buy from newegg.com use the rating system. Also something to watch out for on ram, CPU cooler clearance of the ram slots. Got bit with that one recently had to go with a different cooler.
Fawks
Sui'Kun
Location: DFW, Texas, USA, N. America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe

Post by Fawks »

One thing that I like to do on a new Winder$ install is right after completing the Windows install, move all of the USER directories (Desktop, Documents, Music, My Videos, Pictures...) to the second HD. That way you do not run the chance of loosing data from a windows (re)install. I've been doing that since the 90's and it has saved a lot of my data by having the data on a separate physical drive.
www.weavespinner.net

Still looking for an easy WYSIWYG html/web editor like Frontpage used to be.