Yeah, so....

Story Announcements, Links, almost anything goes here...
No Spoilers

Moderator: Sennadar Moderators

Forum rules
Important: No Spoilers in this forum
Read the more detailed forum rules for more info.
Mark_Reed
Katzh-dashi

Re: Yeah, so....

Post by Mark_Reed »

I use a 2TB external hard drive connected by USB 3.0 to store my games and it works great.
Fawks
Sui'Kun
Location: DFW, Texas, USA, N. America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe

Post by Fawks »

Wicketklown001 wrote:
I've been using a 128GB for awhile now and it's doable. I have literally just the OS and a few basic programs on it. Games for the most part don't need an SSD (a few exceptions) so all of them go on my 2TB HDD instead.

True, but I load BF4 maps up to 30 seconds faster than a online friend from Colorado since I have it loaded on SSD. That can make a big difference at the beginning of a game on who gets what positions or vehicles.
www.weavespinner.net

Still looking for an easy WYSIWYG html/web editor like Frontpage used to be.
Fel
Weavespinner

Post by Fel »

Just a quick update...I haven't had time to write the last week or so because of work issues, but the bright side is that it should calm down in a week or so.

It's doubly annoying because I have this shiny new toy that I can't really play with because I'm too tired when I get home, lol.

The plan hasn't changed, however. I'll finish path chapter 6, then do one chapter in Fox and the Hawk, then a couple of chapters or so in Earth Bond. I have plotlines in both stories I'd like to do before moving back to Path.

And as an aside, so far, Windows 10 seems fairly decent. There are a few things I don't like, such as not being able to install my old Word XP and not having a viable word processing program on this thing by default, but overall, thus far, my experience has been positive. It's stable and seems to run efficiently.
Just another guy from the shallow end of the gene pool.
Kendog
Novice

Post by Kendog »

Fel wrote:Just a quick update...I haven't had time to write the last week or so because of work issues, but the bright side is that it should calm down in a week or so.

It's doubly annoying because I have this shiny new toy that I can't really play with because I'm too tired when I get home, lol.

The plan hasn't changed, however. I'll finish path chapter 6, then do one chapter in Fox and the Hawk, then a couple of chapters or so in Earth Bond. I have plotlines in both stories I'd like to do before moving back to Path.

And as an aside, so far, Windows 10 seems fairly decent. There are a few things I don't like, such as not being able to install my old Word XP and not having a viable word processing program on this thing by default, but overall, thus far, my experience has been positive. It's stable and seems to run efficiently.
In regards to the lack of Office, Office 365 is stackable. Also, while the Home Premium is $99.99, with 5 devices, the Personal version is $52.99 on Amazon.com.

http://www.amazon.com/Office-365-Person ... Office+365

Also, if you watch for sales, you can pick up several at even cheaper prices, then stack them, one after the other. I was able to get 2 of them for around $35 each, and with stacking, I don't have to worry about paying anything until 2017. Also, if you do need the Home Premium version with support for 5 PCs and 5 devices, then there is a way you can convert the Personal to Home Premium for only $9.99.
Fawks
Sui'Kun
Location: DFW, Texas, USA, N. America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe

Post by Fawks »

Fel wrote:
Another reason to stick with Winders7. At least with 7 I could probably install my Office 97 CD if I REALLY wanted to.
www.weavespinner.net

arargh
Katzh-dashi

Post by arargh »

I never tried to install 97 on win 7 but it installs on XP(32bit) just fine.
Fawks
Sui'Kun

Post by Fawks »

arargh wrote:I never tried to install 97 on win 7 but it installs on XP(32bit) just fine.
Thats not really a need. I also have Office XP, 2003,2007 and 2010. 2010 will probably be my last acquisition though. I'm not into paying for a yearly or monthly software 'subscription' that Office and Adobe products have turned into. What happens if I drop the subscription? Do I not have the ability of ever reinstalling the software that I did pay for? No thank you.

Ok. I'll get off my soapbox now. ;)
www.weavespinner.net

MartinK
Da'Shar

Post by MartinK »

Fawks wrote:I also have Office XP, 2003,2007 and 2010. 2010 will probably be my last acquisition though. I'm not into paying for a yearly or monthly software 'subscription' that Office and Adobe products have turned into. What happens if I drop the subscription? Do I not have the ability of ever reinstalling the software that I did pay for? No thank you.
You do pay monthly for rent, mobile phone, power, water, internet and so on and so forth, right? Although i wish i could pay for any one of those once and be done with it without loosing it, that will probably remain a dream. That whole monthly subscription is another try to move services onto the internet and thus into easy reach / control of the company. I'm using Windows 8 and it was damn hard to persuade the operating system that i really, absolute am sure that i do not have, never had and never will have any interest whatsoever to save my documents, program settings and who knows what else on that skydrive cloud service. I have a harddrive for a reason! I expect it to be used!

I've heard that the connection back home is even harder to close up, nail shut and deactivate on the new windows that just got released. No intention to really try that out myself, really.
What does a signature tell us about a person that has a signature significantly longer than the text he posted in his last post?
slain
Talent

Post by slain »

Just a thought why not use open office as it is fully functional and free... legally even.
The user interface is reminiscent of pre-ribon MS office ie. pre office 2007 so it is really easy to use.
slain
Talent

Post by slain »

oh and it can save in common formats doc docx rtf html so it is quite cross platform compatible
MartinK
Da'Shar

Post by MartinK »

slain wrote:Just a thought why not use open office as it is fully functional and free... legally even.
The user interface is reminiscent of pre-ribon MS office ie. pre office 2007 so it is really easy to use.
Cause its dead. Last update was 4 years ago. Luckily it was forked and the currently active development is now called Libre Office - which was mentioned in earlier posts, BTW. :)
What does a signature tell us about a person that has a signature significantly longer than the text he posted in his last post?
ilox
Sorcerer

Post by ilox »

MartinK wrote:Cause its dead. Last update was 4 years ago.
Hmmm, MartinK, please look again. https://www.openoffice.org/download/ Release: Milestone AOO411m6 | Build ID 9775 | SVN r1617669 | Released 2014-08-21
That seems to be a little more recent than four years ago.

I have been an avid Open Office user since it was called Star Office. I love it but my daughter is in High School and my wife and I are doing online studies so we needed access to the latest MS stuff. I also run Dragon 13 which talks nicely with MS Office but only so-so with non-Office products. I looked at all the options and it was cheaper for me to pay AU$12 a month to MS and get the latest Office - always updated - and I can install it on 5 PC's and 5 tablets so I have a copy on each of the family PC's (2)/Laptops (3)/tablets (1) including my dual boot W7 and W10 (actually a triple boot as it also runs deepin linux). We get the full package, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access and some crud called LookOut and OneNote and don't forget the 1G of space on OneDrive for each of us. What's not to like about that deal?

It might not be valid for you and I can accept that but for our family it worked out a cheap alternative to just upgrading her system with a version that when updated would have to be replaced. Then we would have had to look at options for my wife and I for our schoolwork needs. It also covered the rest of us with the latest versions, even on my smartphone.

I still have OpenOffice and Libre Office on my system and updated because there are times when I just want to work simply and they have it hands down. My deepin Linux box has both, but for the Desktops and Laptops it was a way forward for us. Your mileage may vary.
Cheers, Ian
"From the moment I picked up your book until I laid it down, I was convulsed with laughter.
Some day I intend reading it." ~ unknown
MartinK
Da'Shar

Post by MartinK »

ilox wrote:
MartinK wrote:Cause its dead. Last update was 4 years ago.
Hmmm, MartinK, please look again. https://www.openoffice.org/download/ Release: Milestone AOO411m6 | Build ID 9775 | SVN r1617669 | Released 2014-08-21
That seems to be a little more recent than four years ago.
Oh, i based my post on https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenOffice.org. It seems that after the active developers left, Oracle gave the name to Apache. Well, i have no idea if it is any better than the last OpenOffice.org release before it became Apache Open Office in 2011. I will stay with LibreOffice. Here a quote from Apache Open Office wikipedia page:
Since October 2014 the project has had no release manager,[3] and in January 2015 reported a lack of active developers and code contributions and that they were "still struggling in involving new volunteers who can independently work on big developments"
I have been an avid Open Office user since it was called Star Office. I love it but my daughter is in High School and my wife and I are doing online studies so we needed access to the latest MS stuff.
Just out of curiosity, what is LibreOffice missing for your online studies? I'm not really using Office programs all that much. For the easy stuff, notes and so on i'm using a simple text editor. For complicated texts i tend to use LaTeX. I have no doubt that LibreOffice is missing many of the little things that will stop 3rd party programs to work with the Office Suite same as if one would use MS Office. If necessary, i would probably look for a used license that came with a ready-built computer once for MS Office. Monthly costs is something i would avoid at all costs. But then, i only use one computer, dislike mobile computer since it's so much smaller and rather pay once and 'own' a piece of software for eternity rather than pay monthly for services that give others control over my computer. And giving anyone else access to my data via OneDrive is totally out of the question.