THE Ohio State University!

Story Announcements, Links, almost anything goes here...
No Spoilers

Moderator: Sennadar Moderators

Forum rules
Important: No Spoilers in this forum
Read the more detailed forum rules for more info.
Fel
Weavespinner

THE Ohio State University!

Post by Fel »

You know, somewhere, in some alternate universe, there is much rejoicing in the Williams houseold.

Seriously though...wow. I honestly thought Oregon was going to win the game, then OSU rolls in there and just disassembles them.

Just goes to show...flashy finesse offenses will and always will have their faces smashed in by large, physical defensive lines.
Just another guy from the shallow end of the gene pool.
calista241
Katzh-dashi

Re: THE Ohio State University!

Post by calista241 »

I'm not sad to see Oregon lose, I just wish it wasn't OSU to actually do it.
MartinK
Da'Shar

Post by MartinK »

You seem to be talking about some kind of game i take it? What has a university to do with games? Isn't that a place where you are supposed to learn stuff? %-)
What does a signature tell us about a person that has a signature significantly longer than the text he posted in his last post?
Fish
Novice

Post by Fish »

I'm sorry about what I'm about to say to all of the Americans that view and post on thes page but why are you talking about a sport where the players wear pads and helmets play for a couple of minutes and then have a break for ten minutes.
You should watch a real sport like rugby where they play with no pads play for a full eighty minutes with just a ten minute break at half time play with broken bones get cuts go of and get stitches and come back and play the rest of the game.
I've seen a player brake his jaw after only ten minutes and play the rest of the game.
I just can't understand haw you yanks can watch American football when there is a real sport like rugby out there.
Sorry
kyli
Mi'Shara

Post by kyli »

I'm a real Canadian and Hockey is our sport!!!!! There's no better game in the multiverse!!!!!!
"I got stabbed. After 10 days of agony, the sword died."
Fish
Novice

Post by Fish »

kyli wrote:I'm a real Canadian and Hockey is our sport!!!!! There's no better game in the multiverse!!!!!!
Yeah ice hockey is good but that's only because of the fights.
fridgey
Sorcerer

Post by fridgey »

Fish wrote:I'm sorry about what I'm about to say to all of the Americans that view and post on thes page but why are you talking about a sport where the players wear pads and helmets play for a couple of minutes and then have a break for ten minutes.
You should watch a real sport like rugby where they play with no pads play for a full eighty minutes with just a ten minute break at half time play with broken bones get cuts go of and get stitches and come back and play the rest of the game.
I've seen a player brake his jaw after only ten minutes and play the rest of the game.
I just can't understand haw you yanks can watch American football when there is a real sport like rugby out there.
Sorry
The true value of american football isn't the violence and brutality, but that those same pauses and breaks have allowed it to develop into the most complicated strategic sport on the planet that I'm aware of.
Fish
Novice

Post by Fish »

fridgey wrote:
Fish wrote:I'm sorry about what I'm about to say to all of the Americans that view and post on thes page but why are you talking about a sport where the players wear pads and helmets play for a couple of minutes and then have a break for ten minutes.
Sorry
The true value of american football isn't the violence and brutality, but that those same pauses and breaks have allowed it to develop into the most complicated strategic sport on the planet that I'm aware of.
If that was the case why would a coach get in trouble for paying a bounty to hurt other teams players.
Bester
Sorcerer

Post by Bester »

Fish wrote:
fridgey wrote:
Sorry
If that was the case why would a coach get in trouble for paying a bounty to hurt other teams players.
It is more tactically complicated than strategic (strategic elements basically only boil down to clock management). The tactical element is extremely complicated and makes the game incredibly demanding on both the physical and mental levels at higher levels (college and NFL). Dumb jocks can get by at the high school level but beyond that you not only have to be athletic, you have to be smart. While intelligence has a minor beneficial effect in other physical sports in American football it is absolutely necessary.

As far as bounties, that is considered cheap play. While rugby might be more violent football isn't that far behind it (and could be argued, as while rugby is an ongoing constant battle the short start and stops of football plays allow for significant bursts of violence) and there is a major chance of crippling long-term injuries. That risk goes quickly escalates as players intentionally try to injure other players. The goal of football is to win, and while the bursts of violence are a part of it they don't glorify fights like hockey and (presumably, since I've never seen a game) rugby. Having coaches incentivize injuring other players is detrimental to the game and is poor ethics; enough injuries happen already.

The reason why I like football over all of the other physical sports is that it is the tactical complexity and the brains needed to really compete. Most of the 'names' in the sport are geniuses in their own right, particularly the quarterbacks that are at the center of the game.
Fish
Novice

Post by Fish »

No fights in rugby if there are there is heavy penalties to the players eg sent of for the rest of the game suspension from playing in the next few games and fines to the players and team.
Rugby is about tactics and superior fitness and the will to play past pain and fatigue with the mental toughness to win.
Now I think I should stop posting about witch is the better sport as we will never agree with each other as I think American football is a boring and pointless game that takes to long and you probably think the same about rugby.
Byte Storm
Initiate

Post by Byte Storm »

Yes Fel, I think we would all love to see how the reaction at the Williams household would be. Especially since, if timeline is accurate, Ben would still be with the team.

Hint hint :D
Bester
Sorcerer

Post by Bester »

Don't really have anything against Rugby. It just isn't a popular game in the states so I've never watched a game and am only vaguely familiar with the sport. If I understood it and it was more widespread over here I might enjoy watching, for all I know. From my vague understanding Rugby is more or less American Football without the stops between plays and emphasizes stamina. Nothing wrong with that.
zebuddha
Novice

Post by zebuddha »

Having played both at highschool level, I have to say I much prefer rugby. Not only because it's a less rigid/structured game (among other things due to fewer/shorter stops creating a more continuous, fluid game) and all the players have a much more "active" involvement (in the sense that it's a rare case where less than 5 people carry the ball in a play - unless we're talking about 7's), but also (and mainly) for the strong sense of camaraderie among all the players. I don't think I've played any other sport where at the end of a highly competitive game, you go to the clubhouse and have a laugh and a beer (or 20) with the guy who 10 minutes earlier kneed you in the face and broke your nose - long live the "3rd half"... :D

As to general difference in game style, from a coaching perspective I think it's a case of football has a strong emphasis on the tactical while rugby is more of a strategic game - without as many (or as long) breaks to hash out every detail and think everything through, rugby is much more similar to say, basketball, in it's coaching.

And in case you ever want to watch a game of one or the other, the main rule difference between rugby and american football is simple - in rugby nobody can pass the ball forward (although kicking is allowed with certain constraints).

PS: and if you ever have the time, watch a game of aussie rules football...