This is not my month.

Story Announcements, Links, almost anything goes here...
No Spoilers

Moderator: Sennadar Moderators

Forum rules
Important: No Spoilers in this forum
Read the more detailed forum rules for more info.
Fel
Weavespinner

This is not my month.

Post by Fel »

I'm posting to you from my brand new quad core i7 PC, because my computer died earlier today.

I cannot get the hang of 8.1. It's very confusing.
Just another guy from the shallow end of the gene pool.
somni
Novice

Re: This is not my month.

Post by somni »

Sorry to hear about the crash, but congrats on getting a good new machine! I personally think I'll skip over 8 and stick to 7 then jump to the next.
Fel
Weavespinner

Post by Fel »

It came with 8.1 installed. If I have too many issues, I'll just go buy 7 from Newegg and "downgrade."
betatester
Katzh-dashi

Post by betatester »

You had just bought a PC in January and it died so soon ?
arargh
Katzh-dashi

Post by arargh »

ms seems to forgotten the basic rule of programming and computers: 'KISS'.

I have no intenion of ever moving past XP pro. And I still think that 98SE was the peak of all the versions - which I still use for my software work.

arargh
Fel
Weavespinner

Post by Fel »

betatester wrote:You had just bought a PC in January and it died so soon ?
No, I never did buy the computer. Now I wish I had, lol.
Spec8472
Weavespinner

Post by Spec8472 »

Fel wrote:It came with 8.1 installed. If I have too many issues, I'll just go buy 7 from Newegg and "downgrade."
You have downgrade rights in your 8.x license.
Fel
Weavespinner

Post by Fel »

Spec8472 wrote:
Fel wrote:It came with 8.1 installed. If I have too many issues, I'll just go buy 7 from Newegg and "downgrade."
You have downgrade rights in your 8.x license.
Interesting. I'm willing to give 8.1 a fair chance before I go there. It's just WAY WAY different from XP or 7.

Now if I could just get Warcraft to finish downloading so I can spend 3 hours getting it set back up again...
Fel
Weavespinner

Post by Fel »

Oh yeah, a question for you guys:

Since I lost my copy of Word and can't install it on this computer (It's Word for XP), I need a free word processor program that can emulate the version of Word I write on using my laptop.

Any suggestions?
Spec8472
Weavespinner

Post by Spec8472 »

Fel wrote:Interesting. I'm willing to give 8.1 a fair chance before I go there. It's just WAY WAY different from XP or 7.
Well, when you decide it's the steaming heap of crap it really is... :)

Windows 7 ISO Downloads (legit! legal!)

Windows 7 boot tool (Yes, it says 'download tool', that's a lie) - Copies the ISO from above onto a USB Stick or DVDs and makes it bootable.

Ninite - for installing everything else once you've installed the OS
Fel wrote:Oh yeah, a question for you guys:

Since I lost my copy of Word and can't install it on this computer (It's Word for XP), I need a free word processor program that can emulate the version of Word I write on using my laptop.

Any suggestions?

*coughcough* Google Docs?
somni
Novice

Post by somni »

https://www.openoffice.org/
Is what I've used when i didn't have time or money to buy word.
MartinK
Da'Shar

Post by MartinK »

Weren't there some issues with openoffice due to still being owned by a corporation that wanted to make money with it? I believe its currently owned by oracle, which hasn't all that good a track record with its Java either.

I'm using LibreOffice, which was split off by Open Source Developers a few years back from Open Office. It can read all Microsoft Office Formats as well as most other ones that ever were in use and it does all those little things i'm used to with my old MS Office XP.

About the windows version: I have used Windows XP for over 10 years on at least 3 different computers. Last year, i had no longer a choice so i jumped up to WIndows 8.1. The computer hardware changes each year and gets progressively better in all sorts of ways. I could not use harddrives larger than 2GB with Win XP without huge disadvantages. I could not use modern motherboards without equally bad side effects and there were several other things where i was limited as well. I disliked Windows Vista and Windows 7 simply by looking at reviews and screenshots. Windows 8.1 .... wasn't a very happy installation as well. It actually tried to get me to put all my documents and settings on a cloud thats hosted by Microsoft, insanity! But... if i stick to Windows 8.1 now, i'm reasonably sure i will again be sure that i won't be forced to update for at least 10 years. Stupid WIndows, can't live with it, can't live without it either! As bad as girls. ;-)
lagomilo
Sorcerer

Post by lagomilo »

There's a little program that's free called "Classic Shell" for Windows 8.... It makes windows 8... look and feel like win 7. You get to boot directly into the deskop with your usual icon setup.

here's the link:

http://www.classicshell.net/

Only thing I use in win 8.

regards,

lago
Fel
Weavespinner

Post by Fel »

holy omfg, Warcraft in ultra mode with 96fps. wow.
Fawks
Sui'Kun
Location: DFW, Texas, USA, N. America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe

Post by Fawks »

somni wrote:Sorry to hear about the crash, but congrats on getting a good new machine! I personally think I'll skip over 8 and stick to 7 then jump to the next.
Ditto

I knew that I was not going to upgrade to 8 when Blizzard dissed it even before it was released.
www.weavespinner.net

Still looking for an easy WYSIWYG html/web editor like Frontpage used to be.