Serious update.

Story Announcements, Links, almost anything goes here...
No Spoilers

Moderator: Sennadar Moderators

Forum rules
Important: No Spoilers in this forum
Read the more detailed forum rules for more info.
expedient
Mi'Shara

Re: Serious update.

Post by expedient »

Losing the use of your hand for any length of time is a strange experience. I had an uncle with only one arm and so I was happily going about doing things with one hand, having grown up with the idea it made little difference, before being completely stumped on the most basic of tasks.
Fel wrote:I highly suggest that everyone learn basic first aid. You never know when it might become VERY important.
This should really be compulsory in high school.

Have you tried dictation recently? Even the built in versions are surprisingly good for getting in a raw draft.
Represented by Senator Riyo Chuchi
Fel
Weavespinner

Post by Fel »

Four days later, all I have left is a lot of red discoloration, so I'm back to writing.

For the macabre, I put a twitter pic of my new red left hand up. ;)

I'm wondering if the discoloration is permanent or not. Eh, if it is, big whoop. I have scars with much more interesting stories than "I spilled soup on my hand."
Just another guy from the shallow end of the gene pool.
GBLW
Mi'Shara

Post by GBLW »

Fel wrote:I have scars with much more interesting stories than "I spilled soup on my hand."
I know this is a totally silly question, but was it tomato soup? :wink:

By the way, I'm glad you're feeling better. :)
K Pelle aka GBLW
My recent stories are available at: http://www.grynenbayritpublications.com/
nicolai
Da'Shar

Post by nicolai »

Nah. The red will fade fairly quickly.
An objective definition of "Political Correctness":

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority, and
rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the
proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Rabblerouser
Novice

Post by Rabblerouser »

Just wondering how the burns are going nearly two weeks later?

I agree with first aid being compulsory at school. Way Back at my primary school (infants/juniors) we had a scheme that taught health and safety (i.e. Kitchen pots are placed with handles away from the edge) but no actual First Aid training. St Johns Ambulance ran a scheme training some pupils (not me) in it but the 2008 crash ended funding for it. Fortunately English law makes employers provide training for 1 in 5 employees and so I got some then.
Mizriath
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Post by Mizriath »

Hope your recovery is doing well.

Heal first story later.

Coincidentally, i got the tips of 4 fingers burnt on my right hand last week for touching a hot claypot thinking it was not hot. I was sure not able to type even after a week, it is now like a callused fingers on the tip and scabbing over. The heat in the fingers itself feels like it takes 2 days to simmer down.... I believe it is more of the pain sensors on the fingers that says it is hot and it remains hot. I put ice, burn creams, aloe vera etc..... it is still sensitive.

Guess what, I was trying to cook beef stew. The beef tasted nice, my fingers is not.

Take care Fel.
The sea flows as long as Earth exist, Love is alive as long as people exist. I will read Fel's stories as long as my heart still beats.
Fel
Weavespinner

Post by Fel »

Rabblerouser wrote:Just wondering how the burns are going nearly two weeks later?
It's almost completely healed. The burn itself is more or less just a discoloration of my skin, but what's healing now are the missing patches of skin that came off while the burn was healing, which look far more like normal cuts and scrapes than the aftereffects of a burn. When that skin came off, it was deep enough to cause bleeding. A few days ago, my hand was a bloody mess when a lot of that skin came off at once while I was fixing my sink. I had to go back to wearing a bandage for a couple of days because of it.

I'm still getting some peeling, but this peeling isn't causing bleeding when the skin comes off, so I'm again out of the bandage. The sores are all closed now, so there's no risk of infection.
Just another guy from the shallow end of the gene pool.
Rabblerouser
Novice

Post by Rabblerouser »

Thanks for the update.

Having once had very bad eczema I can empathise with peeling skin and worrying about blood.

Glad to hear that your on the mend!
expedient
Mi'Shara

Post by expedient »

It's good to hear that you're getting better. :D
Represented by Senator Riyo Chuchi
reborn
Novice

Post by reborn »

Oo didn't see this earlier.

If its a superficial burn only and has only taken the epidermis the redness will pass and the scarring will come off.
The fact that the skin was bled when the skin came off means it may have been slightly deeper in areas and you may get a bit of scar tissue left over due to some fibrous tissue being left behind. You would have to have horrific burns to have nervous or muscle injury from burns to the hand so you have nothing to worry about here.
Quinn31
Initiate

Post by Quinn31 »

freshly made mashed potatoes from a steam kettle. yea when i was working in a food factory in portland,OR we used 5 gallon buckets to transfer them from kettle to hopper. the spuds were so fluffy that they would get air pockets when you scooped them out had a blob no bigger then 1/2 inch fly up land on my elbow it took about 4 layers of skin when i wiped it off when it landed. yea. well I'll join ya in the burned section fel. i have permanent damage to my forehead from second degree sun burn i was bed ridden for two months cause my neck and arms were also burnt. plus boiling water been there done that, so I know how ya feel. get better.
ralbloke
Sorcerer

Post by ralbloke »

Sorry to hear that Fel

Only just noticed.
Hope you are recovering well despite supporting the evil City.

Ralph
Rabblerouser
Novice

Post by Rabblerouser »

ralbloke wrote:Sorry to hear that Fel

Only just noticed.
Hope you are recovering well despite supporting the evil City.

Ralph
Rather the 'Evil' City than the United by being not of the city.

FYI - I don't support either.
ettoren
Sorcerer

Post by ettoren »

I work in a metal treating facility. I deal with steel parts that are 400 - 1750 degree's Fahrenheit. I get 2nd degree (almost 3rd) quite often. Luckily for me the parts are hot enough to immediately kill the nerve endings where they hit so it doesn't hurt nearly as much as a lesser burn would. Bad thing is, sometimes I don't realize I'm getting burned. In the 9 months I've been there I've added 17 new scars to my body, two of them are brands of some of the text embossed on the parts. 13 are between my wrist and elbows, 3 are on my legs and one is on the interior of my right bicep.

I feel your pain.
dellstart
Child of Niami

Post by dellstart »

Glad your on the mend. :D