Good Books (Scifi)

Story Announcements, Links, almost anything goes here...
No Spoilers

Moderator: Sennadar Moderators

Forum rules
Important: No Spoilers in this forum
Read the more detailed forum rules for more info.
User avatar
Edengrave
Sorcerer
Posts: 65
Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2005 8:44 am

Re: Good Books (Scifi)

Post by Edengrave » Sun Sep 07, 2014 11:55 am

kinza wrote: I also recently came across https://www.fictionpress.com/s/2961893/ ... f-Learning
Its a groundhog day(month) with magic, it has a lot of detail in regards to the magic system so if thats your thing definitely worth checking out =D takes a chapter or two to build up steam but after that its full speed ahead =)
I just started the first few chaps, and I already love it.
Reminded me a little bit of "Peter of the Wind (War of Contractia) by TJ Dixon" which had a lot of good ideas but wasn't as good. Thanks a Bunch!

All the best Gamer stories have already been recommended (LMS is still top dog imho, but Play to live was amazingly well put together. The universe has the most depth imho), this one is not on the same level, but not too bad either: Latt In The Flesh (Six Siding Book 1) - D.C.F (Author)

I find Gamer style sci-Fi, particularly enjoyable and fun. I wish there were more. LMS would have sold like pancakes in north America if it had been translated and published as soon as available. It's basically genre defining. Unless there was someone else before? I found a couple of others by north american authors, but they were underwhelming. For now, Korea and Russia is where it's at. There's also a Chinese one, but I don't think it's ever been translated.

Here are a few books you might enjoy, that I had a great time reading:
Starship's Mage - Glynn Stewart (Author) - Title says all. loved it.
Brothers: Legacy of the Twice-Dead God - Scott Duff (Author) - A true doorstopper
The Aebeling - Michael O'Neil (Author) - Think Conrad Stargard with Magic
Hero's Curse (The Paladin Files Book 1) - Jack J. Lee (Author) - A very fun read. he also has an almost as good Zombie series.

Not as good, but fun read anyway:
Fimbulwinter (Daniel Black Book 1) - E. William Brown (Author)
Victor Deus (Heritage of the Blood Book 1) - Brent Lee Markee (Author)
Portals of Infinity: Book One: Champion for Hire - John Van Stry (Author)
“So he drove out the man; and he placed at the east of the garden of Eden Cherubims, and a flaming sword which turned every way, to keep the way of the tree of life.”
- Ge 3:24

soulz
Novice
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:40 am

Re: Good Books (Scifi)

Post by soulz » Sat Sep 13, 2014 3:21 am

Found this indie gem - Contractor by Andrew Ball. New take on magic, be warned next book isn't out til fall 2015.

User avatar
Edengrave
Sorcerer
Posts: 65
Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2005 8:44 am

Re: Good Books (Scifi)

Post by Edengrave » Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:06 pm

kinza wrote: A man reincanated into a fantasy world: Mushoku Tensei: http://www.baka-tsuki.org/project/index ... oku_Tensei
enjoy =)
Thanks kinza, I really enjoyed it.
“So he drove out the man; and he placed at the east of the garden of Eden Cherubims, and a flaming sword which turned every way, to keep the way of the tree of life.”
- Ge 3:24

darkbolt
Talent
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat May 12, 2012 11:14 am

Re: Good Books (Scifi)

Post by darkbolt » Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:14 pm

Here are some series i like:
Koban by Stephen Bennett
The Lost Fleet by Jack Campbell
Steel World by B. Lason
The Many-Colored Land by Julian May
Kris Longknife by Mike Shepherd
The Hollows By Kim Harrison (this is urben fantasy not scifi)

soulz
Novice
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:40 am

Re: Good Books (Scifi)

Post by soulz » Sat Oct 04, 2014 5:13 am

I would recommend Terry Mancour's Spellmongers series. It is a fantasy, pretty well written.

soulz
Novice
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:40 am

Re: Good Books (Scifi)

Post by soulz » Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:58 pm

For those of you who follows John Ringo's (Black Tide Rising) series, his 4th book Strands of Sorrow is out.

Griffinmane
Initiate
Posts: 26
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:30 am

Re: Good Books (Scifi)

Post by Griffinmane » Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:01 pm

soulz wrote:For those of you who follows John Ringo's (Black Tide Rising) series, his 4th book Strands of Sorrow is out.
This is on my list to read. Is it as good as his others? I just finish The Hot Gate. The Maple Syrup War in the Troy Rising series was hilarious.

Also wanted to say I read LMS on http://www.royalroad.com you mentioned earlier. It was fun and also interesting to see how many similarities there are between Korean and English speaking gamers.

boballab
Sui'Kun
Posts: 472
Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2007 6:41 pm
Location: Ocean City Maryland

Re: Good Books (Scifi)

Post by boballab » Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:47 pm

Griffinmane wrote:
soulz wrote:For those of you who follows John Ringo's (Black Tide Rising) series, his 4th book Strands of Sorrow is out.
This is on my list to read. Is it as good as his others? I just finish The Hot Gate. The Maple Syrup War in the Troy Rising series was hilarious.

Also wanted to say I read LMS on http://www.royalroad.com you mentioned earlier. It was fun and also interesting to see how many similarities there are between Korean and English speaking gamers.

First to clear up something, Strands of Sorrow is not "out" yet. What was released is the Electronic Advanced Readers Copy (Earc) for $15.00. Strands of Sorrow will come "out" in Jan: http://www.baen.com/schedule.asp

As to liking the series if you like the Cally character from his Posleen universe you will probably like the Black Tide Rising series due to the character of Faith.
The Mizriath Jihad is on hold.....for the moment

User avatar
Phantom
Leaders of the Off-Topic
Posts: 677
Joined: Thu Feb 17, 2005 3:19 am
Location: "We're everywhere, for your convenience."

Re: Good Books (Scifi)

Post by Phantom » Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:11 am

boballab wrote:
Griffinmane wrote:
soulz wrote:For those of you who follows John Ringo's (Black Tide Rising) series, his 4th book Strands of Sorrow is out.
This is on my list to read. Is it as good as his others? I just finish The Hot Gate. The Maple Syrup War in the Troy Rising series was hilarious.

Also wanted to say I read LMS on http://www.royalroad.com you mentioned earlier. It was fun and also interesting to see how many similarities there are between Korean and English speaking gamers.

First to clear up something, Strands of Sorrow is not "out" yet. What was released is the Electronic Advanced Readers Copy (Earc) for $15.00. Strands of Sorrow will come "out" in Jan: http://www.baen.com/schedule.asp

As to liking the series if you like the Cally character from his Posleen universe you will probably like the Black Tide Rising series due to the character of Faith.

But readers should also know .... the (Black Tide Rising) Series - is a kind of Zombie tale....but with a John Ringo style twist and flavor to it.

And John Ringo also wants to know .........."Have you met Trixie yet"?... :twisted:




Phantom
And in the fury of this darkest hour
I will be your light
A lifetime for this destiny
For I am Winter born
And in this moment..I will not run
It is my place to stand
We few shall carry hope
Within our bloodied hands
(bloodied hands)
And in our Dying, we're more alive-than we have ever been
I've lived for these few seconds
For I am Winter born
The CruxShadows "Winterborn" (This Sacrifice)

boballab
Sui'Kun
Posts: 472
Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2007 6:41 pm
Location: Ocean City Maryland

Re: Good Books (Scifi)

Post by boballab » Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:21 am

Phantom wrote:

But readers should also know .... the (Black Tide Rising) Series - is a kind of Zombie tale....but with a John Ringo style twist and flavor to it.

And John Ringo also wants to know .........."Have you met Trixie yet"?... :twisted:




Phantom
No I don't want to meet Trixie, bad things happen when Trixie is around, also people should go read Ringo's Last Centurion now...then be afraid, very afraid that you might now be living it.
The Mizriath Jihad is on hold.....for the moment

Griffinmane
Initiate
Posts: 26
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:30 am

Re: Good Books (Scifi)

Post by Griffinmane » Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:28 pm

Phantom[/quote]

No I don't want to meet Trixie, bad things happen when Trixie is around, also people should go read Ringo's Last Centurion now...then be afraid, very afraid that you might now be living it.[/quote]

I loved Last Centurion. It was pretty concerning that you could see it happening. His commentary on the media was priceless.
I have greatly enjoyed his other series. The only ones I was just so so on was the last two of the Paladin of Shadows. Where they end up at Disney and the one after. Much of what the made the first three books was just missing, and felt like he was just milking it. Just my opinion tho.

User avatar
Wolfee
Sui'Kun
Posts: 452
Joined: Sat Apr 08, 2006 2:54 am
Location: DarkSide of No Where
Contact:

Re: Good Books (Scifi)

Post by Wolfee » Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:54 pm

Agreed - John Ringo's Black Tide Rising series is most excellent! Here is hoping John isn't done with the series after just 4x books. Well there is an anthology coming out.... so 5x.

maij32
Novice
Posts: 15
Joined: Sun May 11, 2014 9:30 pm

Re: Good Books (Scifi)

Post by maij32 » Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:26 am

I just read All You Need is Kill (that is the real title, not a typo) by Hiroshi Sakurazaka and it was amazing. The concept for the movie Edge of Tomorrow featuring Tom Cruise is based on this book. After seeing and enjoying the movie I wanted to read the book because the book is always better. Aside from the basic concept, the book is a totally different story from the movie. Anyone who likes the ass kicking style of John Ringo will love this book.

Maij32

zalot
Talent
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:21 am

Re: Good Books (Scifi)

Post by zalot » Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:58 am

a fun book to read is heavy metal thunder, is one of those that you skip to the pages depending of what you choose to "do", its quite funny

zalot
Talent
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:21 am

Re: Good Books (Scifi)

Post by zalot » Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:08 pm

Another series of books, if they were not named be4, starwars extended universe or expanded, not suro how it goes, but they are quite interesting, it stars on a novel with the a name like "courting of princess leia"

Post Reply