Good Books (Scifi)

Story Announcements, Links, almost anything goes here...
No Spoilers

Moderator: Sennadar Moderators

Forum rules
Important: No Spoilers in this forum
Read the more detailed forum rules for more info.
Journeywoman
Sui'Kun

Re: Good Books (Scifi)

Post by Journeywoman »

intereo_cordis wrote: The Empire Trilogy starts out slow but a good backround if Riftwar Saga captures you
It captures you alright. I would say that the Empire Trilogy would have to be my favorite series, period (sorry Fel). I just find Raymond E. Fiest and Janny Wurts just write together really, really well (if it is any contolation Fel in my mind you beat them individually).
Abandon the search for truth; settle for good fantasy!
depomm
Talent

Post by depomm »

You can try the stardancer series by ellagon posted on http://storiesonline.net/home.php also on http://www.ewpub.org/ewpub.html. why not try baen books free library http://www.baen.com/library/ have fun Tony ;D
Edengrave
Sorcerer

Post by Edengrave »

First time I really read through this topic. Haven't seen a book I haven't read so I must be among the really sci-fi obsessed ones on this board. Some books I haven't seen in the topic that I think should be mentioned

The original Dune series of course, by Frank Herbert
The Skylark of space series, a Great read
Te lensman series by E.E smith
The world of A trilogy by van vogt
The Hyperion books By Dan Simmons
The robots series by Asimov
and the foundation series too naturlich
The tyrant series by piers Anthony
The Crystal trilogy by Mcaffrey
The intervention series by Julian May
The clan Korval series by Steve Miler
and all the massive books L.Ron HUbbard has written
battefield earth
and the humongeous mission earth series
(the only time in my life when I had enough of a good thing! lol)

Those are all that come to mind now
Those are all incontournable books guys. heck they have all classic status in the sf community so if you are lucky enough not to have read them yet, move quick

As for fantasy
Everything Janny Wurtz has written
especially the chronicles of Light and shadows
The Malazan book of the fallen by Steven Erickson
The rhapsody series by Elizabeth hayden

and fo some single gems that are not so much known

The gift of change By Sanders
The land of the night by hodgson
“So he drove out the man; and he placed at the east of the garden of Eden Cherubims, and a flaming sword which turned every way, to keep the way of the tree of life.”
- Ge 3:24
Sancria
Da'Shar

Post by Sancria »

Hey guys, just catching up on the topic, and I'd like to thank everyone for their suggestions.

I'd like to bring another name to light but I almost hestitate to....I might get shot for saying I like this author.

The Wheel of Time, by Robert Jordan.

It's an engrossing book, but only the first 5. After that, they start to get a bit slap dash.

That being said, books 1-5 are FULL of characters who all seem to be important, including the stupid beggars.  It's insane how many characters are reoccuring in this series.  At last count I found over 130 distinct chars.

If you like epics, this is the one for you.  The lastest offerings weren't as good as the first 5 but still the story has a certain elan about it.

Oh and you ever read the bible, some parts of the story seem to be a bit  *ahem* familar :P
I'd gladly travel back in time, except I would have to wait longer for the next chapter of Fel's work...sorry, pass.
Siren
Talent

Post by Siren »

A Excellent book to read is David Edding's Series  ;Dand Ann Mccafferey:  8)  :) "Dragonsong"; "Dragons of Pern.
Acorna.

Fel's Work is the best!!! :-[[chocolate is a girls best friend][read a good book with the best of the three essentials: chocolate, cooldrink/hot chocolate and good music]

In Dragonsong, Menolly decides to leave the hold early in the morning. She soon realizes that she isn't planning to return and goes through scattered thoughts in her head.

That was when she realized that she didn't plan to return to the Hold. And the sheer audacity of that thought was enough to make her halt in her tracks. Not return to the Hold? Not go back to the endless round of tedious tasks? Of gutting, smoking, salting, pickling fish? Mending nets, sails, clothes? Cleaning dishes, clothes, rooms? Gathering greens, berries, grasses, spider claws? Not return to tend old uncles and aunts, fires, pots, looms, glow baskets? To be able to sing or shout or roar or play if she so chose? To sleepah, now where would she sleep? And where would she go when there was Thread in the skies?

Menolly trudged on more slowly up the sand dunes; her mind churning with these revolutionary ideas. Why, everyone had to return to the Hold at night! The Hold, any hold or cot or weyr. Seven Turns had Thread been dropping from the skies, and no one traveled far from shelter. She remembered vaguely from her childhood that there used to be caravans of traders coming through the marshlands in the spring and the summer and early fall. There'd been gay times, with lots of singing and feasting. The Hold doors had not been barred then. She sighed, those had been happier times. . . the good old days that Old Uncle and the aunties were always droning on about. But once Thread started falling, everything had changed . . . for the worse . . . at least that was the overall impression she had from the adults in the Hold.

Some stillness in the air, some vague unease caused Menolly to glance about her apprehensively. There was certainly no one else about at this early hour. She scanned the skies. The mist banking the coast was rapidly dispersing. She could see it retreating across the water to the north and west. Toward the east the sky was brilliant with sunrise, except for what were probably some traces of early morning fog in the northeast. Yet something disturbed Menolly. She felt she should know what it was. [pages 71-72]

Questions
1. Menolly's awareness of not planning to return to the Hold is described in a series of questions. Why does McCaffrey decide to present it that way?

2. Menolly has recollections of her childhood. How do the descriptions of her recollections help develop the importance of her leaving the hold?

3. In the middle of the second paragraph, McCaffrey uses ellipses. What is their significance?

4. Why does McCaffrey choose to describe the environment around Menolly, and how does it relate to her state of mind at that moment?
???
Siren Sings the song that calls to everyone
Belgarion213
Da'Shar

Post by Belgarion213 »

Why are you tring to fib of what looks like english homework questions on us? ;)

Never really had a look at Pern, probably have to some time.
Negative_Energy
Talent

Post by Negative_Energy »

Hi all

New to the forum, and just wanted to share a very good read with you all.

Sundancer
Startide Rising (the best)
The Uplift War

All written by David Brin. Don't know if there are any more in the series, but if anyone knows please tell me.
Journeywoman
Sui'Kun

Post by Journeywoman »

siren wrote:Ann Mccafferey: 8) :) "Dragonsong"; "Dragons of Pern.
Acorna.

... (Journeywoman says: If you want to see the quote scroll up 3 posts ;) !)

Questions
1. Menolly's awareness of not planning to return to the Hold is described in a series of questions. Why does McCaffrey decide to present it that way?

2. Menolly has recollections of her childhood. How do the descriptions of her recollections help develop the importance of her leaving the hold?

3. In the middle of the second paragraph, McCaffrey uses ellipses. What is their significance?

4. Why does McCaffrey choose to describe the environment around Menolly, and how does it relate to her state of mind at that moment?
???
I'm only answering these questions because this is my favorite of the Dragonriders of Pern series by Anne McCaffrey (Siren at least spell her name correctly. There is an 'e' in Anne, the second 'c' in McCaffrey is capatalised and there is also no 'e' before the 'r' in McCaffrey either). I'm also answering your questions because sometimes it can be interesting looking more in depth at a book. However if this is your english homework please don't use my answers, I'm a firm believer that people should do their own homework and I make a point of not doing it for other people. Anyway the questions, remember this is my take on things and I may or may not be correct. Anyway enough of why I'm answering here are my answers:

1. I think that she does it in a series of questions so the reader can share in Mennolly's relisation. Also take into account here that it to throughout her upbringing it was drummed into her that it is unthinkable to be holdless during threadfall (this is of course taking into account the various teaching ballads and the remoteness of the Hold she grew up in so it is highly likely she would not know of the Igen caves which is talked about most thouroughly in "The Girl Who Heard Dragon's").

2. I think the most important idea is the idea of happier times when you aren't holdbound and to her thinking anything would be better than living in that hold. It also shows that the idea of having to be holdbound was not always true and changed when 'thread' (for all of you who haven't read Pern it's a organisim which eats anything but rock (and a few other things) and can be killed by fire or drowning) came and reinforces the thought the thread=bad!

3. [i am assuming by ellipses you mean ellipsis and the '...'] I think it shows a few things, one it explains the details of the memories because it is made obvious that she barely remembers it. It also is used to create pause in the sentence and also change time and perspective within her thoughts. Also the use of "... for the worse..." really emphasises how thread is BAD!

4. It's use here is to create suspense and because of the previous refrences to thread starts to allude to the incoming danger especially because we were just told she doesn't have any shelter to go to.

Anyway I hope that answers your questions and allows you to enjoy reading Anne McCaffrey's writing even more.
Last edited by Journeywoman on Sat May 21, 2005 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Abandon the search for truth; settle for good fantasy!
Shadowhawk
Child of Niami

Post by Shadowhawk »

Some of my favourite SF-F English authors; sometimes with book mentioned.
To be expanded and perhaps sorted
  • Andre Norton - quite good at fantasy, SF usually not worth reading. "Witch World" fantasy series, some with co-authors (e.g. "Songsmith"). Quite good "The Beast Master".
  • Anne McCaffrey: "Dragonriders of Pern" series (fantasy/SF), passable "The Ship Who..." SF (space opera?) series, The Talents universe (psionic, recommended here on this forum); I liked "The Crystal Singer" trilogy.
  • C. J. Cherryh - SF, many books concentrating on contact of cultures. What I have noticed is constant flow of plot, and abrupt endings. Alliance-Union universe, with "Downbelow Station" - space opera; Foreigner universe, about human-alien contact and cohabitation. Some fantasy books, although I have heard that they are not the best (just the opposite to Andre Norton, whose SF stories are her worse).
  • Adrienne Martine-Barnes: "The Fire Sword" - fantasy of course
  • Donald A. Wollheim Presents (editor) - sets of best SF short stories in a year.
  • David Eddings: "The Belgariad" series and its sequel "The Malloreon" and some prequels; "The Ellenium" series and its sequel "Tamuli". Fantasy.
  • Dave Duncan - quite characteristic is that the situation is more or less bad just before the end, but it doesn't result in deus ex machina happy endings. Fantasy series I have read: Tales of the King's Blades beginning with "The Gilded Chain", A Man of His Word beginning with "Magic Casement" (have not read it all; good Polish translation), The Seventh Sword beginning with "The Reluctant Swordsman".
  • J. R. R. Tolkien - doesn't anyone not know this author? Of course "Hobbit" and "The Lord of the Rings" trilogy; "Sillmarilion" if you liked the world. I'd also recommend "Smith of Wootton Major" and "Leaf by Niggle" short stories and essay "On Fairy-Stories" - two lst titles in the "Tree and Leaf" book. Fantasy of course.
  • Emma Bull: "War for the Oaks" - very nice urban fantasy
  • Jack L. Chalker SF with some fantasy elements or fantasy with person from Earth. The Four Lords of the Diamond series, stories about Well of Souls (read only some) and "Changewinds" trilogy, recommended here or on IRC and really good, to name a few.
  • Michael Scott Rohan: The Winter of the World series (fantasy), Spiral trilogy (beginning with "Chase the Morning", urban fantasy of sorts; lately there was fourth book written in the same universe but with different main character).
  • Connie Willis - very good science fiction writer. I'd say very feminine (not feministic), but that is male me. Have read some short stories (I recommend wholeheartedly nice one "And Come from Miles Around" and funny "Blued Moon") and novel "Bellweather" (well, you can call it sci-fi, you can call it mainstream).
  • Douglas Adams. Of course "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy", trilogy in five parts. Also Dirk Gently series: "Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency" and "The Long Dark Teatime of the Soul". Very British humor. Must read. SF, of sorts.
  • Patricia A. McKillip. I have read only one book of her. IMHO very good, feminine fantasy (c.f. Connie Willis who writes feminine SF).
  • Clifford D. Simak, quite good SF writer. Classic. Books I have read include "City", "Time is the Simplest Thing" (psi, for those interested, but not as a main topic), "Cemetery World". Aliens for Neighbours aka Suburban Universe type of writer; usually.
  • Alfred Bester - "Stars My Destination", which I have read, and "Demolition Man" which I haven't. Probably some more. SF.
  • Robert Silverberg - SF, usually philosophical (action is not main element). His novels include "Downward to the Earth", "The Man in the Maze", "The Stochastic Man", "Hot Sky at Midnight" and the Majipoor saga, beginning with "Lord Valentine's Castle" (the last SF in fantasy settings).
  • Orson Scott Card. SF writer. Of course Ender saga, although the first two ("Ender's Game", "Speaker for the Dead") are I think the best. Other his novels I have read include "A Planet Called Treason" and "Wyrms". Some ideas repeats in different novels. Writes good short stories.
  • Piers Anthony - most know I think from the lenghty Xanth series. One of common topics is the twin worlds: world of magic, where higher technics doesn't function and scientific world, without magic. I quite liked Apprentice Adept series, known also as Proton/Phase series; at least first four of them. "On a Pale Horse" (usran fantasy?) is also quite good; I know nothing about further books in this series (Incarnations of Immortality).
  • Poul Anderson - best known from "Three Hearts and Three Lions" I think. Winner of many SF-F awards.
  • Joan D. Vinge - author of novel "The Snow Queen" and its sequel "The Summer Queen", and the series about the telepath named Cat: "Psion", "Catspaw" and "Dreamfall". Author of "The Ladyhawke".
  • Ursula K. Le Guin - daughter of anthrolologists, which can be seen in her books. Best known I think from her fantasy Earthsea trilogy "A Wizard of Earthsea", "The Tombs of Atuan" and "The Farthest Shore" ("Tehanu" was written much later and IMHO don't belong): and her SF Hain/Ekumen universe, e.g. "Rocannon's World", "Planet of Exile", "City of Illusions" (with telepathy for those interested) and of course "The Left Hand of Darkness" (which I haven't read yet; shame on me). Some of later works feminist.
  • Lois McMaster Bujold - SF/space opera writer, best known from her Vorkosigan Saga, beginning with "Shards of Honor" (which I haven't read nor got) and "Barrayar". "Falling Free" is set in the same universe, but much time prior. "The Mountains of Mourning" are short story about Miles Vorkosigan; available on Baen.
  • Marion Zimmer Bradley - the author I intend to read. I've read her stand alone story "The House Between the Worlds" (urban fantasy) - quite good I'd say. Known from her Mists of Avalon and Darkover series.
  • Michael Moorcock - I have read so far his fantasy stories " The Jewel in the Skull" and " The Mad God's Amulet" from Hawkmoon novels, and " The Knight of the Swords" from The Swords Trilogy (Corum novels). If only he didn't wrote almost exclusively in series... ;) Heroic/epic fantasy, olde style.
  • Peter S. Beagle - author of wonderfully written, and with great plot fantasy novel "The Innkeeper's Song". He is best known as the author of "The Last Unicorn" (which I plan to read).
  • Ray Bradbury - author of classic SF (but still good) "Fahrenheit 451". Wrote among others "Something Wicked This Way Comes" (urban fantasy?).
  • Richard Morgan - author of "Altered Carbon", cyberpunk novel that blends hardboiled detective fiction (Marlowe style) and hard science fiction.
  • Raymond E. Feist - author of huge fantasy series Midkemia/Kelewan, beginning with The Riftwar Saga. The famous cRPG game Betrayal at Krondor is based on Riftwar series.
  • Roger Zelazny - author of great Amber fantasy series (two sets of five books, plus "A Guide of Amber'), Known for his 'bad boys' character (e.g. Hell Tanner from SF "Damnation Alley" and the title character from (urban) fantasy "Jack of Shadows"). Wrote fantasy dilogy: "Dilvish the Damned" (short story colection connected by main character) and "The Changing Land" (novel starring Dilvish), and SF book "Doorways in the Sand".
  • Harry Turtledove - historical fiction, fantasy, and science fiction author. As of now I have read only his Tale of Krispos fantasy series from the Videssos universe (similar to Byzantine Empire).
  • Vonda McIntyre - "Dreamsnake" fantasy novel.
You can find this list at Sennadar Wiki: User:Shadowhawk/Favorite Books and Authors
Last edited by Shadowhawk on Thu Jul 07, 2005 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I AM DEATH, NOT TAXES. *I* TURN UP ONLY ONCE.
(Terry Pratchet, "Feet of Clay")
Sancria
Da'Shar

Post by Sancria »

Just 22 hours, and 30 mins or so until the next Harry Potter story comes out.

I know it's not really Sci Fi, but hell, it's a good read. and I'm totally a Potterphile.

Bring on the angst of youth! wohoo!
I'd gladly travel back in time, except I would have to wait longer for the next chapter of Fel's work...sorry, pass.
fear1222
Sorcerer

Post by fear1222 »

Did not see this one in any of the posts but anyone read anything by TERRY BROOKS.  He is the first author I ever read in the fantasy catagory. He wrote the Shannara series and the book for the first star wars movie, the Phantom Menice.
Wildcat
Katzh-dashi

Post by Wildcat »

Brooks also wrote the Magic Kingdom for Sale: Sold! books and the Word and the Void trilogy (Running with the Demon, Knight of the Word, Angel Fire East). Sometimes I think those series were better than a few of the Shannara books.
Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard, be evil.
MommyDoom
Keeper of the Spoon of Doom

Post by MommyDoom »

Ok, I'm lazy and didn't read through all 5 pages of this particular topic so if someone has already mentioned this book I apologize now, k?

Anyway, I just went to Borders the othe day and picked up a copy of Furies of Calderon and I really enjoyed it. Furies and battles and intrigue. I really enjoyed it.

MommyDoom
Blood begets more blood as dog begets dog.
Death generates death as the vulture breeds the vulture.
But the voice I heard today said, "Love your neighbor. Do good to those who despitefully use you".
- From the movie, "Ben Hur"
Shadowhawk
Child of Niami

Post by Shadowhawk »

MommyDoom wrote:Anyway, I just went to Borders the othe day and picked up a copy of Furies of Calderon and I really enjoyed it. Furies and battles and intrigue. I really enjoyed it.
I also recommend, by the same author (Jim Butcher) urban fantasy (magic in current world) cycle "Dresden Files", starting with "Storm Front". Vampires of Black, Red and White Court, different kinds of werewolves, Seelie and Unseelie Sidhe, and one wizard P.I. One that advertizes himself as wizard.
I AM DEATH, NOT TAXES. *I* TURN UP ONLY ONCE.
(Terry Pratchet, "Feet of Clay")
MommyDoom
Keeper of the Spoon of Doom

Post by MommyDoom »

Shadowhawk wrote:
MommyDoom wrote:Anyway, I just went to Borders the othe day and picked up a copy of Furies of Calderon and I really enjoyed it. Furies and battles and intrigue. I really enjoyed it.
I also recommend, by the same author (Jim Butcher) urban fantasy (magic in current world) cycle "Dresden Files", starting with "Storm Front". Vampires of Black, Red and White Court, different kinds of werewolves, Seelie and Unseelie Sidhe, and one wizard P.I. One that advertizes himself as wizard.
What a dufus I am. That's right, Lori. Give a positive book review and then forget to put down the author's name... and I can't even use pregnancy as an excuse anymore. Wait, yes I can! Now the blood is just going a little north and still not quite making it to my brain!

MD
Blood begets more blood as dog begets dog.
Death generates death as the vulture breeds the vulture.
But the voice I heard today said, "Love your neighbor. Do good to those who despitefully use you".
- From the movie, "Ben Hur"