Good Books (Scifi)

Story Announcements, Links, almost anything goes here...
No Spoilers

Moderator: Sennadar Moderators

Forum rules
Important: No Spoilers in this forum
Read the more detailed forum rules for more info.
zedd
Sui'Kun

Re: Good Books (Scifi)

Post by zedd »

These are classics, but in the off-chance someone don't have them on their list

Old man's war serie by John Scalzi. The first two books are
Old man's war
the ghost brigades

both great reads

regards
Dregrin
Novice

Post by Dregrin »

After reading through all 11 pages of this I realized there was one author and series of books that hasnt been mentioned,
Cinda Williams Chima
The "Heir" series of books is a modern fantasy about a world where 5 magical guilds exist, the enchanters Soothsayers Sorcerers and Warriors are all ruled over by the Wizards due to an ancient covenant and inorder to prevent hte wizards from killing each other they hold tornaments to determine which wizard house rules over them all. by pitting warriors against one another. This has been going on so long that the warrior guild is nearly extinct. This story occurs in a modern world where most people are anaweir or non magical, and have no idea that magic even exist. I wont go into further detail unless someone asks.
The Warrior Heir
The Wizard Heir
The Dragon Heir
The next two books i havent read through yet but they seem to be based in a more mideval fantasy setting where magic is common place involving your standard ancient legends and artifacts of immense power.
The Demon king
The Exiled Queen

Anyone else read these?
fortress
Sorcerer

Post by fortress »

I've never read them before, but since you recommended it I'm going to go pick them up from the Kindle store.

Thanks for the recommendation.
dellstart
Child of Niami

Post by dellstart »

fortress wrote:I've never read them before, but since you recommended it I'm going to go pick them up from the Kindle store.

Thanks for the recommendation.
dittoed
shades98
Initiate

Post by shades98 »

Finn wrote:IOne other fantastic writer is L E Modesitt Jr, who has written an impressive number of high quality books, some fantasy (although, really sci-fi underneath), and a fantastic alternate history series that starts with 'Of Tangible Ghosts'

He also has an impressive scifi series called Ecolitan and other one offs.
One thing that i like about Modesitt is his Recluse serries though that is more Fantasy than Sci-Fi the thought and detail that has gone into that universe shows how much he has developed all of his series.
The world is like a book each place has its own page.
samuelmichaels
Sorcerer

L. E. Modesitt, Jr.

Post by samuelmichaels »

shades98 wrote:
Finn wrote:IOne other fantastic writer is L E Modesitt Jr, who has written an impressive number of high quality books, some fantasy (although, really sci-fi underneath), and a fantastic alternate history series that starts with 'Of Tangible Ghosts'

He also has an impressive scifi series called Ecolitan and other one offs.
One thing that i like about Modesitt is his Recluse serries though that is more Fantasy than Sci-Fi the thought and detail that has gone into that universe shows how much he has developed all of his series.
A good place to see his books, organized by universe and stand-alone, is http://www.lemodesittjr.com/the-books/. That's a pretty good site, even if you already read some of his books.
Florida Friends wiki: http://floridafriends.wikia.com
Do-over stories: http://do-over.wikifoundry.com/
Spearfish Lake Tales wiki: http://spearfishlaketaleswiki.com
kabalman2000
Sorcerer

Post by kabalman2000 »

Post to reset topic subject back to "Re: Good Books (Scifi)"
Radar
Novice

Post by Radar »

I'd recommend the IN HER NAME series by Michael R. Hicks. In some ways it's similar to Subjugation. Humans are at war with an alien race of blue skinned female warriors, and a boy is forced to live in the alien society to survive. The similarities end there though as the aliens have fangs and claws and prefer to fight with swords instead of plasma rifles. It has SciFi, fanatasy, and miliatry themes.

The full series is a set of three trilogies, but like Star Wars it started with the end trilogy. Books 7 (available free from the author's site), 8 and 9 are about the end of the war. They are also contained in an Omnibus version (best value). Books 4 and 5 are available now and book 6 is coming, and are about the beginning of the war.
lagomilo
Sorcerer

Post by lagomilo »

Radar wrote:I'd recommend the IN HER NAME series by Michael R. Hicks. In some ways it's similar to Subjugation. Humans are at war with an alien race of blue skinned female warriors, and a boy is forced to live in the alien society to survive. The similarities end there though as the aliens have fangs and claws and prefer to fight with swords instead of plasma rifles. It has SciFi, fanatasy, and miliatry themes.

The full series is a set of three trilogies, but like Star Wars it started with the end trilogy. Books 7 (available free from the author's site), 8 and 9 are about the end of the war. They are also contained in an Omnibus version (best value). Books 4 and 5 are available now and book 6 is coming, and are about the beginning of the war.

Good read!! Just finished book 7. Looks like I will be purchasing 8 and 9. thanks for the head up.

lago
firedrake3
Katzh-dashi

Post by firedrake3 »

Radar wrote:I'd recommend the IN HER NAME series by Michael R. Hicks. In some ways it's similar to Subjugation. Humans are at war with an alien race of blue skinned female warriors, and a boy is forced to live in the alien society to survive. The similarities end there though as the aliens have fangs and claws and prefer to fight with swords instead of plasma rifles. It has SciFi, fanatasy, and miliatry themes.

I'm halfway through book 8 (omnibus) and i'm lovin' it.
Thanks for the suggestion.
An objective definition of "Political Correctness":

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority, and
rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the
proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Banner
Initiate

Post by Banner »

Try searching Smashwords, they sell indie ebooks and there are some good ones on there for good prices.
Same for Amazon Kindle books (you can download a reader for free) and Barnes and Nobles Nook.
Course you will have to sort through some chaff to find the good ones, but pretty much all of these places let you download samples and have nice keyword search features.
Bars
Talent

Post by Bars »

I haven't read all 11 pages of the thread but I don't know if anyone has mentioned the stories of Robert Sheckley.
insert random deeply philosophical thought here
zjoske
Initiate

Post by zjoske »

My favorite SciFi authors/books are:
Isaac Asimov:
- Foundation series
- Robot series
David Webber - Honnorverse
Randolph Lalonde - Spinward Fringe
Ron Hubbard - Battlefield Earth (don't shoot me!!!)
Pittacus Lore - Lorien Legacies (I am number four)
Orson Scott Card - Endersaga
Larry Niven:
- Footfall
- Mote in God's Eye
- The Gripping Hand
dellstart
Child of Niami

Post by dellstart »

wow < i am in the middle of the first one , and i am just blown away.Bloody awesome.
Thanks for the heads up.
zjoske
Initiate

Post by zjoske »

I've come across another good SciFi book on storiesonline.net:
The Tarayla Patrol by Code3Sam