Okay, resident techheads, advice time.

Story Announcements, Links, almost anything goes here...
No Spoilers

Moderator: Sennadar Moderators

Forum rules
Important: No Spoilers in this forum
Read the more detailed forum rules for more info.
bdrosen
Novice

Re: Okay, resident techheads, advice time.

Post by bdrosen »

Fawks wrote: Yes, I know that using the 240SSD as a cache drive is a bit excessive. But, I had used it for my OS drive for about nine months until I realized that it was too small (when a game installs tells you not enough room, its too small). I really wish that I could install tell windows install to place the Program Files & Program Files (x86) on a separate drive. Then I could still use the 240 for the OS and maybe get another 240 for the 'Program Files'. ( /me drools over that thought, OS running on two 400+ Mb/s drives :D ) Anyone have any ideas if winders7 install can do that?
See http://www.zdnet.com/blog/bott/windows- ... -size/2941

There are plenty of things you can do to reduce the size on a OS SSD. As for Program Files, etc - almost all programs let you select where to install, so installing to d: vs c: should be fine more most things. A 240GB SSD should be more than enough for an OS drive.
arargh
Katzh-dashi

Post by arargh »

Problem is, no matter where the programs are installed, if you trash the OS, odds are that you will have to reinstall everything anyway. A lot of windows programs stick a whole bunch of junk in the registry, which stays on the OS drive, and the programs won't run without them. Backing up and restoring the registry can get iffy.

arargh
gnume
Sui'Kun

Post by gnume »

arargh wrote:Problem is, no matter where the programs are installed, if you trash the OS, odds are that you will have to reinstall everything anyway. A lot of windows programs stick a whole bunch of junk in the registry, which stays on the OS drive, and the programs won't run without them. Backing up and restoring the registry can get iffy.

arargh
pity he doesnt use linux for programs other than games than.
gnume
Sui'Kun

Post by gnume »

any comment from Fel ?
Fawks
Sui'Kun
Location: DFW, Texas, USA, N. America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe

Post by Fawks »

bdrosen wrote:There are plenty of things you can do to reduce the size on a OS SSD. As for Program Files, etc - almost all programs let you select where to install, so installing to d: vs c: should be fine more most things. A 240GB SSD should be more than enough for an OS drive.
Yes, I know that you can redirect most installs to another drive/directory, but I would like to see a simplified ability where you could tell windows that nX directory will be placed in empty drive/directory D:/nX drive and nX(x86) directory will be placed in the empty drive/directory at D:nX(x86). Thus reducing drive space need for the OS and Program Files. Also, if the two drives only have the OS and Program Files on them, it should reduce the system latency because of multiple data requests to the drive at the same time.

That was one reason that I moved up My Documents, Install, and Video directories to separate physical drives. The other main reasons were to avoid loosing everything, again, in the event of an epic drive failure or system reinstall. (Too many OOPS! because of drives/partitions of equal size and archaic nomenclature on Fdisk) :( Now i really believe in redundancy. (Separate physical drives for separate media types, backups using winders home server, and online backup of important data and vacation photos (Driving in Alaska from Prudhoe Bay to Anchorage and Valdez for one thing. Quite Beautiful))

arargh wrote:Problem is, no matter where the programs are installed, if you trash the OS, odds are that you will have to reinstall everything anyway. A lot of windows programs stick a whole bunch of junk in the registry, which stays on the OS drive, and the programs won't run without them. Backing up and restoring the registry can get iffy.
arargh
Yes, I know that. On thing that I liked about win95-98se was the ability to reinstall winders without having to reinstall all programs. But, like you said, programs stick a bunch of junk in the registry nowadays that requires reinstall of all programs with the OS. Which is annoying. The last time I reinstalled my OS, most of my games required a full download of all files to install. Battlefield 3 took over 30Gigs of download to fully install. That month I went WAY over the AT&T 150GB download cap. :|

Sooo Fel, Have you decided on what your going to purchase?
www.weavespinner.net

Still looking for an easy WYSIWYG html/web editor like Frontpage used to be.
gnume
Sui'Kun

Post by gnume »

thats why i love linux. most problams can be fixed without reinstall if you know what your doing and have time for it.
and even if full reinstall is needed i wont lose my configuration if im careful ( in linux system configuration is stored in the /etc directory )
Fel
Weavespinner

Post by Fel »

gnume wrote:any comment from Fel ?
The untimely death of my washing machine has set back my plans for a new computer by a few weeks.
Just another guy from the shallow end of the gene pool.
gnume
Sui'Kun

Post by gnume »

Fel wrote:
gnume wrote:any comment from Fel ?
The untimely death of my washing machine has set back my plans for a new computer by a few weeks.
ouch.
well at last you have few more weeks to consider ideas than.
what you opinion of my suggestion or graymist modification of it ?

price updated so here the changes :
here the two suggestions :
mine :
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($199.99 @ Microcenter)
Motherboard: ASRock Z87 OC Formula EATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($289.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Sniper Gaming Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($139.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 660 Ti 3GB Video Card ($224.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: NZXT Phantom (White) ATX Full Tower Case ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive: LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NS95 DVD/CD Writer ($15.99 @ Microcenter)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($124.00 @ Amazon)
Total: $1264.92
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-08-31 13:31 EDT-0400)
and Greymist's modification of it :

CPU: Intel Core i5-4430 3.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($174.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock H87 Performance ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($112.86 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Sniper Gaming Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($139.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB Video Card ($196.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: NZXT Phantom (White) ATX Full Tower Case ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive: LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($124.00 @ Amazon)
Total: $1024.78
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-08-31 13:32 EDT-0400)
gnume
Sui'Kun

Post by gnume »

heres a cheaper suggestion by me. but i still recommend my previous suggestion :

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/gnume/saved/2i9y

CPU: Intel Core i5-4430 3.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($174.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($139.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport XT 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 660 2GB Video Card ($169.99 @ Newegg)
Case: DIYPC Adventurer-9601R (Black) ATX Full Tower Case ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Cooler Master Elite Power 460W ATX12V Power Supply ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $896.89
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-08-31 14:13 EDT-0400)