In response to more than one postcard query:

Story Announcements, Links, almost anything goes here...
No Spoilers

Moderator: Sennadar Moderators

Forum rules
Important: No Spoilers in this forum
Read the more detailed forum rules for more info.
Fel
Weavespinner

In response to more than one postcard query:

Post by Fel »

I've had a few people ask me about the postcards you send.

Yes, Grey, I DO read the cards. That's why I ask you to put your forum handle on them. :P

So, since I'm too lazy to do a google map, here's the current tally, and mind that just because I list a country, that means I either have 1 card from there, or 50. A card is a card. ;)

I currently have 412 cards (edit: I forgot to count an older box of cards, collected before you guys started sending them to me). I've been collecting them since I was 30, when I bought a postcard in Canada while visiting there, and thought "hmm, it might be neat to collect postcards of places I go." That evolved into "okay, I want a postcard from every state and province in the US and Canada." Now it's evolved into "I want a card from every nation on Earth."

So, here are the nations/territories/possessions from which I have cards:

UNITED STATES:

I have a card from every state EXCEPT Nebraska and North Dakota. Nobody seems to go to Nebraska or North Dakota.

WESTERN HEMISPHERE:

Canada, Bermuda, Jamaica, Puerto Rico, the Caribbean, the U.S. Virgin Islands, Mexico, Costa Rica, El Salvador, Columbia, Venezuela, Ecuador, Peru, Chile, Brazil, Argentina, and believe it or not, Antarctica.

I also have cards from Easter Island and the Galapagos Islands.

Someone, get me a card from Cuba! And that dutch island down in the Caribbean whose name I can't recall at the moment.

EUROPE:

England, Wales, Scotland, Ireland, Northern Ireland, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Holland, Belgium, France, Spain, Portugal, Monaco, Luxembourg, Germany, Austria, the Czech Republic, Greece, Crete, Italy, Sicily, Vatican City, Russia, Ukraine, Georgia, Lithuania, Finland, Iceland.

I have cards from the Canary Islands as well, but I don't know exactly which nation owns them, so they get their own mention.

AFRICA:

Egypt, Morocco, Kenya, Tanzania, Nigeria, Sierre Leone, Ivory Coast, South Africa, Lesotho.

I don't have many from Africa, hmm. But someone sent me an awesome card of the Victoria Falls, and another beautiful card of Mount Kilamanjaro.

NEAR EAST ASIA:

Turkey, Israel, Jordan, Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates, Bahrain, Qatar, Iraq, Afghanistan, Kazakhstan.

FAR EAST ASIA/PACIFIC RIM:

China, Thailand, Vietnam (believe it or not), South Korea, Mongolia, Russia (this one is from Kamchakta), Japan, Singapore, the Phillipines, Malaysia, Australia, Tazmania, New Zealand, Fiji, New Guinea.

I also have cards depicting Iwo Jima, the Marshall Islands, and Midway Island, though those aren't technically countries. As far as I remember, they're territories or possessions.

PLACES I HAVE NO IDEA WHERE THEY ARE:

Ascension Island.

Seriously...where the heck is Ascension Island? The card just depicts a raher mean looking crab, no geography, and the postage and postmark also read Ascension Island. Pacific Ocean, I take it?

I also have some random postcards which are worth mention:

--a card written on the box flap of an MRE, sent to me by an active duty military member in Afghanistan.
--a card of silly road signs from all over America, real signs, but real silly.
--a card depicting monopoly money.
--cards depicting the natural wonders of Angel Falls, Niagra Falls, Victoria Falls, Mount Saint Helens, Yosemite Falls, and breathtaking desert landscapes from Utah, Egypt, and China.

My current favorite postcard is an aerial view of the Arch de Triumphe, in Paris. It's GORGEOUS.

The card currently sitting by my computer is the last one I received, which is from Lisbon Portugal, sent by Greymist. When I get another, that one gets put in the postcard box.

So, there you go guys. It's no google map, but that's my postcard collection.

Edit by Spec8472:
Google Map (in progress) - http://goo.gl/maps/ypkY
Just another guy from the shallow end of the gene pool.
Mizriath
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Re: In response to more than one postcard query:

Post by Mizriath »

Ok Fel, you will get more when I go visit other places/countries. Cheers.

Sometimes the problem is finding the post office.
The sea flows as long as Earth exist, Love is alive as long as people exist. I will read Fel's stories as long as my heart still beats.
Spec8472
Weavespinner

Post by Spec8472 »

Fel wrote:Australia, Tazmania,
As much as we joke - Tasmania is actually part of Australia. Although it is true you have to set your watch back upon arrival - about 50 years! *ahem* ;)

Side note, if someone asks if you've seen a map of Tasmania just say yes.
For those who're more of a visual learning type. Potentially NSFW.

I note no Hong Kong... though that's technically a territory of China. Heading there next month, so will try to remember that.
Mizriath
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Post by Mizriath »

Hey Spec,

Send him one from Christmas Island. :)

A place where some Singaporeans migrate to, to get to the wilderness.
The sea flows as long as Earth exist, Love is alive as long as people exist. I will read Fel's stories as long as my heart still beats.
Abaddon
Initiate

Post by Abaddon »

Ascension Island is part of the British Overseas Territory which includes Saint Helena. It's in the South Atlantic Ocean. Approximately midway between the easternmost tip of Brazil and Angola in Africa.
Spec8472
Weavespinner

Post by Spec8472 »

Mizriath wrote:Hey Spec,

CX is a bit far to get to... it'd cost me just as much to fly there, as it would for my flight to the UK :P

Edit: okay, about half as much.
Spec8472
Weavespinner

Post by Spec8472 »

Ok, the Google Map is... up to date I think. Did I miss anything?

Fel wrote: PLACES I HAVE NO IDEA WHERE THEY ARE:

Ascension Island.

Seriously...where the heck is Ascension Island? The card just depicts a raher mean looking crab, no geography, and the postage and postmark also read Ascension Island. Pacific Ocean, I take it?
There's two - Canada, or in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean. Both approximately in the middle of nowhere.
Mizriath
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Post by Mizriath »

Spec8472 wrote:
Mizriath wrote:Hey Spec,

CX is a bit far to get to... it'd cost me just as much to fly there, as it would for my flight to the UK :P

Edit: okay, about half as much.
Yeah So I hear it is expensive to fly there. I have to fly to Perth just to get a flight to CX. And they have migratory crabs there. Like Ascension Islands. :D
TLGG
Katzh-dashi

Post by TLGG »

The Canary Islands belong to Spain.
zebuddha
Novice

Post by zebuddha »

Bugger... if I'd known of this hobby of yours sooner I could've helped you out with at least 5... Poland (just came from a visit to friends there, maybe I can ask them to send you one), Bulgaria (my wife was just there 2 months ago), went through Switzerland last year and I lived for 2 years in Lebanon (and went to Syria)...

Goes to show I should spend more time outside "Chapter Announcements" :roll:

Hmm.. reminds me I have a friend going to Bangladesh this summer... or is he still in Syria atm? I'll check, might get lucky... :wink:
Mad Monk
Sui'Kun

Post by Mad Monk »

Annoying that the ones I sent from Sri Lanka never made it. Unfortunately, this is a common problem with some places.
Rational people have supported the worst dictators of history - Hitler, Stalin, Mao, Pol Pot, etc.

I'm mad - at least I have an excuse for what I do.
Fel
Weavespinner

Post by Fel »

Mad Monk wrote:Annoying that the ones I sent from Sri Lanka never made it. Unfortunately, this is a common problem with some places.
Well, it actually did get here.

I found 2 postcards from Sri Lanka upstairs. I put them on my TV and honestly forgot about them, since I don't watch TV upstairs, and I set them in the same place where i put my bills waiting to be paid. They kinda got buried. ><

I don't know how many you sent, but I have 2 of them.

So, add Sri Lanka to the list, and sorry about that. ;)
Just another guy from the shallow end of the gene pool.
Mad Monk
Sui'Kun

Post by Mad Monk »

Yay!!! :D
Rational people have supported the worst dictators of history - Hitler, Stalin, Mao, Pol Pot, etc.

I'm mad - at least I have an excuse for what I do.
artreus
Sorcerer

Post by artreus »

Fel wrote:And that dutch island down in the Caribbean whose name I can't recall at the moment.
there are 3 of them, the dutch antillen,
Aruba
Bonaire
Curaçao
Tarquinus
Novice

Post by Tarquinus »

I might be in Brazil in a month or two... If I go I will send one :)