Thinking about a new Monitor, need suggestions..

Story Announcements, Links, almost anything goes here...
No Spoilers

Moderator: Sennadar Moderators

Forum rules
Important: No Spoilers in this forum
Read the more detailed forum rules for more info.
Hearly
Speed Racer!

Thinking about a new Monitor, need suggestions..

Post by Hearly »

I right now have a Gateway 24in HD monitor I bought about 4 years ago, Wanted to look at getting a 27in monitor or a 3d monitor, most I can spend is 500 bucks on one, what would you recommend?

I've seen a few 27in that have 1ms, I haven't seen any 27in 3d monitors available yet..

thanks for your suggestions..
Spec8472
Weavespinner

Re: Thinking about a new Monitor, need suggestions..

Post by Spec8472 »

I would strongly suggest that unless you're doing 3D CAD or Modelling work, you skip 3D Monitors.

In terms of 27" Monitors, I can strongly recommend Dell's U2711 ... It's an IPS Panel (meaning fantastic colour), and runs at 2560x1440. And it's pretty darn cheap.

Many of the 27" Montiros (including the one at work) are only 1920x1080 or there-abouts.
Hearly
Speed Racer!

Post by Hearly »

Spec8472 wrote:I would strongly suggest that unless you're doing 3D CAD or Modelling work, you skip 3D Monitors.

In terms of 27" Monitors, I can strongly recommend Dell's U2711 ... It's an IPS Panel (meaning fantastic colour), and runs at 2560x1440. And it's pretty darn cheap.

Many of the 27" Montiros (including the one at work) are only 1920x1080 or there-abouts.
Yes, I did notice that on the 27in's that they seem to be 1920x1080, right now I have a 24in running at 1920x1200, so I wasn't so sure about how much more "space" it would give me on the desktop, but that dell you mentioned is 1,000 bucks, I didn't want to go over 500.
Quindo Ma
Sorcerer

Post by Quindo Ma »

You may really want to take a closer look at some of the (gaming) tech sites to inform yourself of at least the basics. They also provide good reviews of what monitors are currently good. I don't have any specific examples or suggestions, but I have had good experience with the Samsung SyncMaster line.

Two more things.
First, the 1ms you mention is most likely a gray-to-gray statistic, and therefor also most likely a nice number that doesn't say anything. Same thing with extremely high contrast ratios. They look good, and may be true in one sense of the wording, but say little to nothing about the actual quality of the monitor.
Second, from what little you described, you already have a very good monitor. Unless you are looking for a dual screen setup, I personally would suggest you wait another year or three. I looked at buying new a new system half a year ago, and came to realize that there are just too many things in flux right now.
Speaking only of monitors there's the shift towards Displayport, larger screens, 3d (with and without glasses), higher resolutions, and OLEDs, just to mention a few of the things I found to be coming soon or already here but not ready for the masses.
Hearly
Speed Racer!

Post by Hearly »

Quindo Ma wrote:You may really want to take a closer look at some of the (gaming) tech sites to inform yourself of at least the basics. They also provide good reviews of what monitors are currently good. I don't have any specific examples or suggestions, but I have had good experience with the Samsung SyncMaster line.

Two more things.
First, the 1ms you mention is most likely a gray-to-gray statistic, and therefor also most likely a nice number that doesn't say anything. Same thing with extremely high contrast ratios. They look good, and may be true in one sense of the wording, but say little to nothing about the actual quality of the monitor.
Second, from what little you described, you already have a very good monitor. Unless you are looking for a dual screen setup, I personally would suggest you wait another year or three. I looked at buying new a new system half a year ago, and came to realize that there are just too many things in flux right now.
Speaking only of monitors there's the shift towards Displayport, larger screens, 3d (with and without glasses), higher resolutions, and OLEDs, just to mention a few of the things I found to be coming soon or already here but not ready for the masses.
ya, might as well wait I wanted to go to a 27in 3d monitor, but there not really available yet, (wanted to get the Nvida glasses) and I couldn't see going from 1 24in to another 24in even if the thing had 120hz vs 60hz, I was also looking at the LED monitors, as I can tell with our TV's we have 1 40in LCD and 1 40in LED, and the LED blows the LCD away on picture quality, and I'm a bit concerned about going from 1920x1200 to 16:9 (1920x1080)
Spec8472
Weavespinner

Post by Spec8472 »

Hearly wrote:I did notice that on the 27in's that they seem to be 1920x1080, right now I have a 24in running at 1920x1200, so I wasn't so sure about how much more "space" it would give me on the desktop, but that dell you mentioned is 1,000 bucks, I didn't want to go over 500.
It won't give you more space, but things will be bigger.

TVs and monitors have a finite resolution. Plugging in a 120" 1080p TV will still give you the same resolution (and screen real estate) as a 23" monitor that does 1920x1080. It'll be bigger, and for some people that means more readable, but you won't be able to fit more 'stuff' on it than you could on a smaller monitor of the same resolution.

Also, not sure why the price is that high - friend of mine picked it up for under AUD$800 last week - and Dell USA is normally far cheaper than Dell Australia, even after the currency conversion.