Network trouble

Story Announcements, Links, almost anything goes here...
No Spoilers

Moderator: Sennadar Moderators

Forum rules
Important: No Spoilers in this forum
Read the more detailed forum rules for more info.
Weresmilodon
Fel is my Dark Lord ;)

Network trouble

Post by Weresmilodon »

Anyone here with experience with networks and some time to help?

I've bought a new router (Netgear fvs338), and set down to install it today. Only it wasn't as easy as I'm used to. The most likely source of the problem is probably a conflict between the new router and my NAS unit.

Both of them want to use 192.168.1.1 when connecting to my computer. I thought i resolved this by changing the routers address in it's own setting, but it seems to only have worked to a degree. I can now access the router from the new address, and the NAS from the other. Problems starts to occur when i have both connected at the same time though. If the NAS is disconnected, i have internet, and all is working well, but if i connect it, i can only access the NAS, and the router starts giving me errors. For one, i lose the ability to connect to it, as it refuses all http traffic.

Now, i think i can resolve this pretty easily, just by changing the address of the NAS, and then switching the router back to the .1.1, but I've no real experience with network troubleshooting prior to this.

I can manually set the address of the NAS in it's settings, but to do that i must also set an DNS server. Can i just set it to use my computer? And if so, should i use the standard 192.168.1.1, or the address assigned to it by the router, say 192.168.1.153?
"I'm a male. Males are supposed to act tough."
Tarrin, Chapter 29, The Questing Game.
gnume
Sui'Kun

Re: Network trouble

Post by gnume »

the best idea when setting small general network is set the router to work as dhcp server and set the all other components to automatically receive ip addresses from it including the NAS
Weresmilodon
Fel is my Dark Lord ;)

Post by Weresmilodon »

Ah, i forgot to mention that. The NAS is connected directly to my computer, not the network. I have two ports on my motherboard, the first goes to the router, and the second goes to the NAS.
gnume
Sui'Kun

Post by gnume »

why not connect the NAS to the network ?
and it appears your computer is recognizes the two interfaces as if they are on the same network
Weresmilodon
Fel is my Dark Lord ;)

Post by Weresmilodon »

Because because i use it as E:, my storage drive, and i want there to be nothing in-between it and my computer. Also a bit of security, in the unlikely even that someone manages to get on the network.

But i suppose i might just switch it now, provided the new router can handle both the heavy traffic between NAS and computer, as well as internet traffic. My old one had trouble just with the internet traffic.

Is there any way to set the computer to see them as on different networks?
gnume
Sui'Kun

Post by gnume »

the new router should be able to handle it
and if i remember right on windows only in server versions you can configure advanced network settings
expedient
Mi'Shara

Post by expedient »

I'm not claiming to be an expert but hopefully this will be of help.

Your router should be able to automatically provide network addresses (of the range 192.168.x.x) in its standard set-up. Where it is connected to the internet providing local addresses (look for TCP/IP) using DHCP and NAT.

DNS fields can be left empty as your internet provider will recognise any such requests through your router. (Unless you use a different provider for DNS.)

Both your computer and NAS can then be set to connect to the internet automatically using DHCP, provided by your router.

Any other DHCP services should be switched off or to bridge mode. If either your computer or the NAS is set to share its internet connection it may be providing a conflicting set of addresses via DHCP.

If you want to set your addresses manually then I'd guess the problem you are experiencing is due to a second device providing internet sharing on your network (probably your computer or NAS).

Reading the new messages: If you are not using the network features of your NAS, can you not just switch them off? If you prefer speed over accessiblity then the direct connection is going to be faster.
Represented by Senator Riyo Chuchi
gnume
Sui'Kun

Post by gnume »

expedient :
his NAS is connected directly to a second net interface in his computer directly
Drivr
Novice

Post by Drivr »

the problem is you can only have one gateway per network on you machine. if you have 2 nics and they both are connected to a 192.168.x.x network only one will pass packets. give your second nic and the nas a different IP scheme like 10.10.x.x. because you are connecting to the nas using IP address you dont need any dns settings on the nas or the second nic card. If you are connecting using a name IE: nas01 then edit your host file and add the setting for you nas.
Weresmilodon
Fel is my Dark Lord ;)

Post by Weresmilodon »

expedient wrote:Reading the new messages: If you are not using the network features of your NAS, can you not just switch them off? If you prefer speed over accessiblity then the direct connection is going to be faster.
That solved it. I can now access both the NAS and the router at the same time.

The odd thing is, i had no problems with my old router, they only cropped up now that i got a new one.
expedient
Mi'Shara

Post by expedient »

Glad something I wrote helped.

Some useless anecdotal info: A couple of years ago I got a new faster wireless router and had a similar issue. Before I had one wired network in the 192.168.x.x range and the wireless in the 10.x.x.x set. My new wireless router warned me of a conflict despite my having run two DHCPs at once before. So maybe they tightened the protocols up at some point.  
Represented by Senator Riyo Chuchi
Spec8472
Weavespinner

Post by Spec8472 »

So, you have a network diagram something like:

Code: Select all

(Cable Modem/DSL Modem/etc)
  |
 (Router)
   |
   `--- (Computer)----(NAS)
If your router is serving DHCP 192.168.1.x/255.255.255.0, then you should set up static assignments on your second network connection that the NAS is on to be like so:

Computer:
IP: 192.168.2.1
Netmask: 255.255.255.0
DNS: 192.168.2.1
Gateway: (blank)

NAS:
IP: 192.168.2.2
Netmask: 255.255.255.0
DNS: 192.168.2.1
Gateway: (blank)

(Note: do the NAS first ;))

This will ensure that your computer can address each network correctly.

The reason you were having conflicts is because it could see two networks both with the same IP being addressable on both networks.
Each IP Address needs to be uniquely assigned to a device, from the point of view of each other device attached to those networks.
If once device can see two networks, then the networks should use a different base address.

Also, if the NAS does offer a DHCP Server service, then that could be configured instead of the static assignment. HOWEVER: it needs to be configured to provide addresses for a different network than your Router. So, instead of 192.168.1.x, provide 192.168.2.x or 192.168.100.x