Good Grief

Story Announcements, Links, almost anything goes here...
No Spoilers

Moderator: Sennadar Moderators

Forum rules
Important: No Spoilers in this forum
Read the more detailed forum rules for more info.
Omegano
Initiate

Re: Good Grief

Post by Omegano »

MommyDoom wrote:Lemme see, for those programmer geeks out there: Which is worse?

1. Trying to figure out someone else's code
2. Trying to figure out someone else's code written from a LOUSY spec
3. Trying to figure out a LOUSY programmer's code written from a LOUSY spec

I'm flowcharting #3 tonight. i'm in hell.

MommyDoom
Ouch! I count myself lucky I have only had to deal with #1... Granted, I'm still in school, and the most complicated thing I have dealt with is a second-year game engine... Oh, wait. I correct myself. I have dealt with #4:

4. Trying to figure out a programmer's code who specializes in a completely different type of code, and tries to make it function like that type, using a LOUSY spec....
(IE, a Networking and Windows programmer trying to make an basic game engine from scratch, using his own takes on how an engine should be built. He made the entire thing function like a cross between Windows code, and a Networking system... The Engine my second year game team made was better, AND made more sense...)

Also, have been here for about 4.5 years, and have made only 21 posts...

Omegano
Go ahead. Ask me any question, but if it needs logic or intelligence, you will want to ask that brain thingie that lives in in my head instead.
DigitalMaestro
Sui'Kun

Post by DigitalMaestro »

MommyDoom wrote:Lemme see, for those programmer geeks out there: Which is worse?

MommyDoom
I feel your pain. Luckily, I only have to deal with my own code these days. Independent contracting has it's benefits. :)

-DM
RedManX
Initiate

Post by RedManX »

6+ years.....37 posts I'm disapointed.... seeing as in 6 years I've checked this form 4+ times a week

*** edited phones auto complete nonsense ****
arargh
Katzh-dashi

Post by arargh »

MommyDoom wrote: They're killin' me at work and I don't suspect I'll be around much till Fel starts writing more Sennadar/Shadow Walker stuff. Lemme see, for those programmer geeks out there: Which is worse?

MommyDoom
They are all bad, but 2 & 3 are worse. 3 should have never been allowed to happen. :)

Usually in this sort of situation, I feed the code thru a compiler, and read the assembler output, or worse case deassemble the output. Between the two, I an usually figure out what the code is doing.

Now, what it is supposed to be doing is a different matter. :)
dellstart
Child of Niami

Post by dellstart »

This link may shed some light on the subject http://www.cartoonstock.com/directory/c ... oblems.asp
Weresmilodon
Fel is my Dark Lord ;)

Post by Weresmilodon »

MommyDoom wrote:
Weresmilodon wrote:
Spec8472 wrote:>7 years... and before that several years on the old forums.

Damn, this means I've been hosting the forums for over 7 years.
Yeah, that's kinda how i feel too. Yeesh, how long have we been around? A decade? More?

When did Mommydoom change name? What year?
Huh. At least 7 years on this board and 1 or 2 on the old board at least. And I have no clue when Fel dubbed me MommyDoom but it was at least a year before we moved over here. And, I am far more judicious in my postings, I see. Only 307.
They're killin' me at work and I don't suspect I'll be around much till Fel starts writing more Sennadar/Shadow Walker stuff. Lemme see, for those programmer geeks out there: Which is worse?

MommyDoom
Nine years or so... I remember that i made the Mommydoom joke when you first became pregnant, and i'd been a member at that forum for at least a few months at that time...

Yeesh, where does the time go?
"I'm a male. Males are supposed to act tough."
Tarrin, Chapter 29, The Questing Game.
MommyDoom
Keeper of the Spoon of Doom

Post by MommyDoom »

Weresmilodon wrote:
MommyDoom wrote:
Weresmilodon wrote: Yeah, that's kinda how i feel too. Yeesh, how long have we been around? A decade? More?

When did Mommydoom change name? What year?
Huh. At least 7 years on this board and 1 or 2 on the old board at least. And I have no clue when Fel dubbed me MommyDoom but it was at least a year before we moved over here. And, I am far more judicious in my postings, I see. Only 307.
MommyDoom
Nine years or so... I remember that i made the Mommydoom joke when you first became pregnant, and i'd been a member at that forum for at least a few months at that time...

Yeesh, where does the time go?
Was that you? Oh yes, now I remember. then Fel came back with the Spoon of Doom comment....
Blood begets more blood as dog begets dog.
Death generates death as the vulture breeds the vulture.
But the voice I heard today said, "Love your neighbor. Do good to those who despitefully use you".
- From the movie, "Ben Hur"
Fiferguy
Cloudy, 12C, to -2C o/n with a chance of scattered postings

Post by Fiferguy »

Phantom wrote:
Well there's also the fact that Fifer just has to keep teasing Spec8472

Phantom
I LOVE to mess with Spec... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Lochar
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Post by Lochar »

Spec was the one that gave me my avatar as well. Can't quite remember the reason anymore though...
Ignorance is bliss, knowledge is power. Are the powerful very unhappy?

Support my brother.
http://www.justiceformichael.com
Isengrim
Initiate

Post by Isengrim »

Omegano wrote:

MommyDoom
Ouch! I count myself lucky I have only had to deal with #1... Granted, I'm still in school, and the most complicated thing I have dealt with is a second-year game engine... Oh, wait. I correct myself. I have dealt with #4:

4. Trying to figure out a programmer's code who specializes in a completely different type of code, and tries to make it function like that type, using a LOUSY spec....
(IE, a Networking and Windows programmer trying to make an basic game engine from scratch, using his own takes on how an engine should be built. He made the entire thing function like a cross between Windows code, and a Networking system... The Engine my second year game team made was better, AND made more sense...)

Also, have been here for about 4.5 years, and have made only 21 posts...

Omegano
#3 really shouldn't be permitted.

Having said that I've seen #5.

5. Trying to understanding code that has been modified at least two dozen times by a dozen different people over six years. When all of them were willing to do whatever it took to make the code work, and none of them were programmers. None of them had even heard of code standards. The damn thing is full of statements like "if 1=0", "if username = tim" where "Tim" hasn't been with the company for years, and statements that undo what the previous line did.
fortress
Sorcerer

Post by fortress »

I just have to reply since I saw the Tarutaru avatar.

Next month is my 2 year anniversary of retiring / selling my FFXI toon, best decision I ever made lol. I ended up selling my main for ~$2000
Greymist
Weavespinner

Post by Greymist »

From memory I've been reading Fel's books for 12+ years.

I know I started using IRC when I was around 12, I'm 27 now and I'm going to assume I bumped into Fel (online) when I was 15.
Fawks
Sui'Kun
Location: DFW, Texas, USA, N. America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe

Post by Fawks »

Ok... How old is Fel? I've never come across an age. I always assumed that he was in his early to mid twenties with him talking about college. When did he start posting his stories.

Mmmm.... A story about the life and times of Fel. That might be interesting. ;)
www.weavespinner.net

Still looking for an easy WYSIWYG html/web editor like Frontpage used to be.
Fawks
Sui'Kun
Location: DFW, Texas, USA, N. America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe

Post by Fawks »

/me feels lost. My coding knowledge ended with windows programing. I had lots of fun in COBOL, Pascal & GWBASIC. I did a little tinkering with SQL. C++, C# and 95% of the web coding leave me in the dust. :(

So much for a BS in Computer Information Systems.
www.weavespinner.net

Still looking for an easy WYSIWYG html/web editor like Frontpage used to be.
DigitalMaestro
Sui'Kun

Post by DigitalMaestro »

Fawks wrote: I had lots of fun in COBOL, Pascal & GWBASIC.
My municipal govt would love to employ you. lol. They have a bunch of servers running COBOL but all the techs who know it are retiring or dead. The whole "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" is gonna destroy our infrastructure if they don't find a few more people versed in it soon.

-DM