Firestaff Series in EPUB

Story Announcements, Links, almost anything goes here...
No Spoilers

Moderator: Sennadar Moderators

Forum rules
Important: No Spoilers in this forum
Read the more detailed forum rules for more info.
Sherman
Novice

Firestaff Series in EPUB

Post by Sherman »

Hi folks.

I decided I'd continue creating new epub files of Fel's works.

Therefore, of course, I decided to start with the Firestaff series.

I have gone through each book upgrading things like quotes. All quotes (single & double) have been converted to their left/right 'smart' quotes. As I used regular expressions to do this, there may be a few errors. All instances of -- have been replaced with proper emdashes. I have also turned the multiple period horizontal ellipses ('...') into their html entity equivalent.

I also decided to be a bit fancy with the titlepage, chapter heading, and dropcap fonts. For epub programs that support embedded fonts, (eg: mobile/desktop Adobe Digital Editions, and devices based on this), these will be displayed. (Note: iBooks on the iPad DOES NOT support embedded fonts at this time. fallback generic fonts will be used instead)

Please let me know what you think. Also please let me know if you spot any major errors.

Now the only thing missing is proper cover images...
Attachments
Firestaff (1,2).zip
Books 1 & 2
(1.74 MiB) Downloaded 935 times
Firestaff (3,4).zip
Books 3 & 4
(1.9 MiB) Downloaded 770 times
Firestaff (5).zip
Book 5
(711.36 KiB) Downloaded 753 times
TStyle
Sorcerer

Re: Firestaff Series in EPUB

Post by TStyle »

Sherman,

I'm also turning Fel's works into ebook format and have made some cover images/title pages and thought I'd post them for you to look at and see if you want to use them for your e-books. I'm not sure about other e-readers but I know these are the perfect size to use on Barns and Noble's nook.

Also, I'm sure this is probably a given but I just wanted to confirm that your epubs have been spell checked, It would save me some time not having to spell check my original documents if I could use the ones you've already done. (That is if you don't mind my swiping them and tweaking them to my own preferences)
Attachments
E-Book Cover Images.zip
(668.23 KiB) Downloaded 641 times
Sherman
Novice

Post by Sherman »

Hey, the covers look great, I may just use them.

As for spell checking, I'm afraid that I was too lazy to be THAT thorough...
From memory though, the spelling of the firestaff works was pretty good.
DigitalMaestro
Sui'Kun

Post by DigitalMaestro »

Given the length of the works, the percentage of misspelled words was rather low, but the sheer size of the works means that the raw number of misspellings is quite high. I've cringed through reading the series a few times in spite of my word processor screaming for me to spellcheck it.

-DigitalMaestro
medico69
Novice

Post by medico69 »

I was waiting for someone to do this. Now, any idea when someone might do the next book? I would but don't really know how.

medico69
If yesterday is gone
Tomorrow never comes
What is today?
TStyle
Sorcerer

Post by TStyle »

I have no idea when/if Sherman going to do the others but I'll probably post mine when I finish each series. That will take awhile though because I've got to spell check them all and I don't work on them every day. If anyone is interested in me posting mine that is.
Sherman
Novice

Post by Sherman »

I've already started work on the Pyrosian Chronicles. I'm thinking of spellchecking these, although I'm not quite sure how to get my program to use US english instead of NZ english.