Wizardry in the sennadar universe

Caution, Spoilers
The new home for all the older Sennadar books, and the Legacy stories.

Moderator: Sennadar Moderators

Forum rules
Please Read the forum rules.
SYED
Child of Niami

Wizardry in the sennadar universe

Post by SYED »

I was wondering if some one can post the details about wizardry fel has posted in his stories. I know that they only remember a limited number of spells for so long or so many, so they store them in books. Extreme negative energy use is corrupting. In addition to the right words and gestures, the spells may need material components.
.S.A.M.K.M
GBLW
Mi'Shara

Re: Wizardry in the sennadar universe

Post by GBLW »

ROFLOL - You've done it again.

(You are joking, aren't you?)
K Pelle aka GBLW
My recent stories are available at: http://www.grynenbayritpublications.com/
SYED
Child of Niami

Post by SYED »

I know it is similar to the wizard class in games, but he did individualize it for his own story. Like how for the more powerful divine spells, the priest needs an amulet. And there advantages and disadvantages between the 4 orders of magic.
.S.A.M.K.M
Belgarion213
Da'Shar

Post by Belgarion213 »

Foreward: You have to remember that magic in SENNEDAR (the plane of existance Tarrin and friends live on) has been altered from the universal norm by Niami. Niami's mother (and Niami) basically altered it to their liking.

ON SENNADAR:

There are four orders of magic. They are, Sorcery, Wizardry, Priestly, and Druidic.

Wizards: Wizards memorize spells. Rather than in normal DND games, Wizards on Sennadar can memorize spells and they are not used up when they use them. In traditional DnD, if a Wizard remembered a fireball spell, he could use it once and then had to memorize it again. This was because traditionally, a 'spell' is actually MOSTLY cast in the time they are preparing them, rather than the mumbled words. In Sennadar however the mark of a strong mage is not memorizing lots of spells...but how long they memorize them. Tarrin can remember them for a fair while but Phandebrass can memorize them for a month easily because of how powerful a wizard he is. Magic is cast by spoken incantation, Special movements with the hands and body, and magical materials and reagents like diamonds, dung, spices etc. The spoken words are part of a magical language that only the gods can understand. IT draws power from the Positive and Negative energy planes. Necromancers draw from the negative energy plane while most wizards draw from the positive energy plane.

Priests: Priests draw their magic from their patron god. Like wizards they use the magic language to describe what they are doing. Rather than using reagents, they p'cast' with their faith and more powerfully with their holy symbols (like Tarrin's amulet). The power a wizard has is usually in line with a wizards portfolio. That is, The Wikuni gods are good at sailing, The god of the Salini is great for living in the desert and honor, the Val when he could still grant spells(before the end of the blood war) could give spells of evil...basically it lines up with the gods portfolio. There's nothing really stopping an Eldar God from having a cult but htey don't need mortal worshipers so the need to have a religion is much less than a younger god who requires the belief of mortals to exist (aka The One.)

Sorcers: Our main magic user in the setting. The Sorcerers cast their spells by manipulating the magical weave that Niami cast over the world. This magic draws power from her (as the Elder God of Magic) and then spreads it over the world. It even limits how Priest and Wizards can get their power. Sorcerers, or at least the mainn groups we encounter, are actually Niami's priest so have minor priestly magic to get around Niami's not having priests of her own.

Druids: Druids draw their power form the All, which is actually the energy used by the first Eldar Goddess of Sennadar. Its the energy of every living thing and its nigh-infinte in scope. The power, like Sorcerers is physically demanding so Druid's need to be in great shape to survive the power. The Druids cast their spell by imploring the All with a image of what they want and a desire. That is they might picture a fire in the fire pit and for it to light. More complicated desires need multiple images (a secret that only Elder Druids know about, our favorate pixie doesn't after all because she's to fighty, even though she is a eldar in strength.).

When setting up the magic orders, Niamia set them up so that no one order could overpower another. Sorcerers can force the weave to not supply Priests and wizards magic, Druids can choke of the weave to stop sorcerers and I THINK wizards and priests, not drawing from the all, can get around druids.

However outside Sennadar things are a little different. Basically outside Sennadar magic can work different, hence the rise of Elementists on Pyrosia, and singing magic elsewhere mentioned in Demon's Bane.

More to the point there can be dozens if not hundreds of gods doing the same thing, such as magic. Eldar Gods can change how much works on their worlds.

That's a quick overview sorry I can't really remember more off the top of my head.
GBLW
Mi'Shara

Post by GBLW »

Belgarion213 wrote:Foreward: You have to remember that magic in SENNEDAR (the plane of existance Tarrin and friends live on) has been altered from the universal norm by Niami. Niami's mother (and Niami) basically altered it to their liking.

ON SENNADAR:

There are four orders of magic. They are, Sorcery, Wizardry, Priestly, and Druidic.

.. . shortened for brevity ...

When setting up the magic orders, Niamia set them up so that no one order could overpower another. Sorcerers can force the weave to not supply Priests and wizards magic, Druids can choke of the weave to stop sorcerers and I THINK wizards and priests, not drawing from the all, can get around druids.

However outside Sennadar things are a little different. Basically outside Sennadar magic can work different, hence the rise of Elementists on Pyrosia, and singing magic elsewhere mentioned in Demon's Bane.

More to the point there can be dozens if not hundreds of gods doing the same thing, such as magic. Eldar Gods can change how much works on their worlds.

That's a quick overview sorry I can't really remember more off the top of my head.
I still find the original question hilarious because the way Fel has set up the four realms of magic, they are almost all controlled by the skills and strengths of the individual casting the spell, whether it be Sorcerer, Wizard, Priest or Druid. In order to create a list which would cover all the possible strengths and requirements for each and every possible situation from those used by Web Spinner, to those used by a commoner who was reciting a purchased cantrip, a researcher would have to write a book or two ---

Oh wait, Fel has already done that. All you have to do is read the books and make some notes of your own - a perfect DIY project to tackle over the winter for someone with a lot of time on their hands! :twisted:
K Pelle aka GBLW
My recent stories are available at: http://www.grynenbayritpublications.com/
SYED
Child of Niami

Post by SYED »

Priests and wizards can use their magic as normal on other worlds.
Sorcerers need a special link to the weave to access it off world. Tarrin has his gifted wings, but I think those amulets seen in the pyrosis not chronicles.
Druids might need one of those amulets the fairy made. Tarrin was able to use Druid magic and his were cat mom dealt with those uppity elves, so it is potentially possible for Druids to access alien alls, but only if the elder God of that world approves.
While different, the orders do have over lap and very similar spells. The weave might be a sorcery creation, but a wizard version could be possible.
.S.A.M.K.M
Belgarion213
Da'Shar

Post by Belgarion213 »

The amulets that are used by the Faries (and Sapphire the dragon) is not to access the all. It's because as intrinsic magic species they can't really survive AWAY from the all. The amulets basically act like diving helmets for people who go scuba diving.

Also yeah, you don't want to be reaching for the All if the Eldar God does NOT approve (aka you die). The All is basically reaching into the Eldar God's power.

A 'wizar weave' could not be created without a god. I guess its possible a M'Shana could do it but Tarrin basically died creating it and he was just acting as a channel for Niami while at the same time had that heat immunity so he could channel a absurd amount of magic. I doubt even a younger god unless it was a REALLY POWERFUL one could do it. It's a direct alteration of the fundamental way magic would be channeled in the world which basically means 'Eldar God says yes or no' and there is no real reason for him to say Yes. I guess there could be a situation like the Sennadar bloodwar where the Eldar God changes his mind, but that's it.

Priests for younger gods can use their magic off-world but Tarrin was unusual in being able to reach Niami from another world. Wizards can also use their magic...but there are differences. Outside of Sennadar, magic works closer to DnD wizardry, that is you memorize a spell, cast it...and then memorize it again.
SYED
Child of Niami

Post by SYED »

Tarrin is an exceptional special case, so who knows hat he could achieve now if he sets his mind to it. The wizard God is a younger God, but he is worshiped on multiple realms, so that has to give him a boost. Wizards have gate spells to travel to different worlds or realms. Could unique and powerful gate spells be used to control or affect the divine magics that flow in and the wizard magic used. The wizarding energies are already here, they just need to be channeled appropriately. That is why I think of towers at or near the twin nexus, hey can control the energies entering and leaving this world, and use that to manipulate other energies. We know that near the positive nexus everything is super charged, so not that safe. Using these nexus, make certain other location, the better location for an aspect of the art. Where the right combination of energies are channeled to. The wizard God likely knows near everything about his craft. More than any mortal wizard. This world is unique due to its affinity to the art, so he has to be interested, as it is a chance to bolster his standing. I am kind of imagining specially designed enchanted standing stone circles.

Sorcerers could access th weave via hose amulets as the weave is part of the sennadar all. Like when Tarrin was fighting that dragon, it blocked the weave with Druid magic, but then he reached through the all to get the weave. I just realized that worked only because he was a Druid. What about his special Amulet he got from his goddess, sorcerers are her version of priests, so what if they had a special priest amulet that allowed them to use some of their power off world.

The negative nexus is so powerful, it break molecular bonds. It could be used to purify raw material, and a specific spell to recombine it to the desired form. I matinee if a spell version can be aimed at a specific material, very useful. It would be great for mining. To make it safe, that nexus needs to exist in a vacuum.
.S.A.M.K.M
Belgarion213
Da'Shar

Post by Belgarion213 »

Why do you keep saying 'the wizard god' as if it was singular? He's just the patron of Wizards. A patron of wizards, there are dozens of magic gods out there. Yeah he probably knows more about wizard magic than any mortal, but controlling DIVINE magic? No, other than his own energies. You would need to be an Elder god of magic to do what your describing.

Personally unless you were a Eldar God I think any spelles you cast on the nexus would break down a they themselves would be affected. Either they would be overcast and cause a wildstrike (aka basic sorcery), or basically break down. You could use the gates as a magic source but your not going to be controlling them or limiting their throughput.

Tarrin is unique (he's a Mi'Shana, former demi-god, Sul'kun, Agent of God of Gods, Magic Prodigy, Psiconic ancient adventurer) Oso I will grnat you that he could do some pretty amazing things. It's just what you are describing is divine level.

More to the point, this is a fundamental part of this realm. The Eldar God in charge knows ALL about that and doesn't need somebody coming in to tell him how to defend his realm from demons. Magic already exists, wizards already exists. A Magical weave is not going to really do anything for anybody...well it may eventually give rise to something like Sennadar Sorcerers or Elementists but short term nothing, long term I can't see any reasons to invite this younger god over to do this.
SYED
Child of Niami

Post by SYED »

What if the wizard God was an extra dimensional based god? Instead of originating from a material world, but one of those other realms.

The local elder God seemed very agreeable to Tarrin, eager to please. So his cooperation is possible, Tarrin is the avatar of a goddess of magic, so a huge magical act might not be impossible.
.S.A.M.K.M
Belgarion213
Da'Shar

Post by Belgarion213 »

The Eldar God knows who Tarrin is, that is he's representing The God of Gods. You don't mess with his agents. Again, while its possible its such a huge undertaking I'm not seeing the benefit for Tarrin OR the Eldar God. You can say 'to help defend hthe plane' but he already HAS defences (aka the other gods and their follower/agents) and there is (as far as we know) nothing like the Firestaff to well basically stop the Eldar God stop a demonic invasion like the Bloodwar in its tracks by just killing the summoner. (Val was such a danger because the Firestaff basically put him outside Sennadar's Eldar Gods power, so they coudln't sidestep the Demon Invasion by killing the summoner with a thought.

As for the God of Wizards being a Extra-dimensional god...er...what do you mean? I Have no idea what your talking about there. Do you mean he's a god who arose from an elemental plane or something? Yeah...I doubt that. He's the PATRON of Wizards which kind of points, at least ot me, that he was a powerful MORTAL wizard who ascended to younger godhood. (Again there are probably hundreds of wizard gods out there , he's just the one worshipped on Sennadar)

EDIT: sorry I realised that came off as overly confrontational. I'm just not sure WHY Tarrin or the Eldar God would do this. It's a HUGE undertaking. Tarrin got away with changing how magic functioned on Pyrosia because there WAS no Eldar God (he had abandoned his post). Here there seems to be one. Tarrin woudln't bring it up unless the GoG or Niami suggested he do it and nobody else would really suggest it. I guess its POSSIBLE with enough divine help and wizards like Phandebrass but again, such a huge undertaking that it might just be easier to let the Eldar God go "Yup, this is how magic works now." aka what Niami did on Sennadar.