Phandebrass and Diablo 3's Covetous Shen

Caution, Spoilers
The new home for all the older Sennadar books, and the Legacy stories.

Moderator: Sennadar Moderators

Forum rules
Please Read the forum rules.
cdrt
Talent

Phandebrass and Diablo 3's Covetous Shen

Post by cdrt »

I have been reading The Shadow Realm again, and I keep noticing that Phandebrass talks really similarly to Covetous Shen in Diablo 3, down to using occasional identical sentences. Are they both based on something I'm not familiar with or is it just a coincidence or what..?

In any case, now I keep reading all Phandebrass sentences in Chen's voice. :shock:
It both amuses and frustrates me. :?
Fel
Weavespinner

Re: Phandebrass and Diablo 3's Covetous Shen

Post by Fel »

Phandebrass was created about 15 years before Diablo 3. If anything, Blizzard is copying me. ;)

By the way, the name "Phandebrass" is a nod to a friend back in Northern Virginia who used to play AD&D with us. Phandebrass the Unusual was his magic-user.

I'll never forget those hours we "tried" to play, but Pat kept us all rolling on the floor unable to breathe because of that insane magician. Never did we have so much fun trying for two hours to get out of a room. ;)

The speech patterns Phandebrass uses aren't Pat's, though, because Pat played Phandebrass as a completely (well...occasionally) harmless insane wizard with an unhealthy obsession with bunnies and the world's largest collection of string. I could never hope to copy that level of sheer chaos.

We once played a Dragonlace campaign, and he played a Kender.

It was...a nightmare. But in a good way.
Just another guy from the shallow end of the gene pool.
cdrt
Talent

Post by cdrt »

Yes, I know that the book is much older, I think I read it for first time somewhere around 2008. That's why I was wondering if it was based off something or some regional dialect. Of course, I don't remember that much about Shen's dialogue, most of it was generic fantasy background material, I just remember the common stuff he said during gameplay. I just though it was a funny and intriguing coincidence.

Must be something about this specific book, I remember having an insanely strong deja vu feeling when reading Tarrin's fight against the fire dragon. The big fight of the book, and my brain is constantly going "I remember this!!!" :lol:

And that's interesting about Phandebrass, explains those Phandebrass the Unusual results I got when googling. And yeah, from onlookers perspective, those roleplaying sessions where nothing ends up happening are usually the ones most interesting. Kinda makes me think it would be nice if I could roleplay something else than myself :oops:
Griffinmane
Initiate

Post by Griffinmane »

I'm reading the series again also. And was reading that part when you posted.

Fel, I've always wondered if this was a campaign you played. I've admired your ability to explain the way the different forms of magic works. It reminds me of Master of Five Magics in that regard.
krashtu
Novice

Post by krashtu »

:D :D
Wolfee
Mi'Shara

Post by Wolfee »

I too have recently re-read the series. Could we please have the rest of Legacy sometime in the near future?