Tarrin 3D

Caution, Spoilers
The new home for all the older Sennadar books, and the Legacy stories.

Moderator: Sennadar Moderators

Forum rules
Please Read the forum rules.

Am i working in the right direction?

OMG, that's exactly how i pictured him!
No votes
Not exactly what i had in mind, but it very well might be him.
53%
Looks passable
6%
I think Tarrin looks a bit different (please specify what i should change)
18%
Doesn't look anything like him.
18%
Look for another profession, modelling isn't your thing.
6%

Total votes: 17

Mistra
Katzh-dashi

Tarrin 3D

Post by Mistra »

hey guys,

i've been on here for a while now, and as i'm a beginner 3d artist i'm building a portfolio.
for a high-res character i'm trying to create a 3d version of tarrin (as he looks like when he enters the desert, a couple of days before he trows the manacles away)

do you guys think (and Fel in particular) wether the picture included might be tarrin? (it doesn't have any texturing yet and the hair's not remotely finnished, and he hasn't got teeth yet, but i wanted your input before i did all that)

for the most recent rework, look at my later posts in this thread.
Last edited by Mistra on Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hearly
Speed Racer!

Re: Tarrin 3D

Post by Hearly »

Doesn't look anything like what I imagined, for one no ears, no fur on the face, etc.
Mistra
Katzh-dashi

Post by Mistra »

ugh... stupid me, the ears are hidden cause i haven't even started working on the hair yet, and do werecats have fur on their face? i thought it was limited to their arms and legs (and tail)
Mistra
Katzh-dashi

Post by Mistra »

ok, updated cause i didn't have all the anatomy right... (the ears are still missing,but those'll come later, this is just the face)
Attachments
tarrin2.png
Dreamer
Initiate

Post by Dreamer »

Hopefully this won't cause all posts to stop again (everytime I post on a board there are 1-2 replies, then nothing for a few weeks).

Anyway, the eyes are a little small, or maybe sunk too far back - this is causing him to look like he is in his late-mid life (50's in human terms) in my opinion. If you make the eyes a little bigger this will make him look a lot younger (same trick cartoonist use to make characters look "cute and cuddly" when overdone).

Please don't let this post cause another drought of replies/posts/stories. (Otherwise I might just stop posting altogether for fear of scaring away Fel's muse).
Mistra
Katzh-dashi

Post by Mistra »

well, it's not gonna cause a drought in this thread ^^ i opened the eyes a bit more, and worked on the body a bit, no, i haven't done any fur yet, i'm still thinking on how i'm going to do it (there are different 3d methods for faking fur)
Attachments
tarrin3.png
Ledsmith
Sorcerer

Post by Ledsmith »

form the discrpitions Fel has posted in the past, it feels like either the cheek bones are too high or the cheeks themselves are too hollow. The nose, chin and lips look great..I think you nailed those.
Mistra
Katzh-dashi

Post by Mistra »

ok, filled his cheeks up a bit, put a bit more shape in the hair (still no ears)
Attachments
tarrin4.png
Ledsmith
Sorcerer

Post by Ledsmith »

I also see you added the cat's pupils...cool.
Fel
Weavespinner

Post by Fel »

When it comes time to add his hair, don't forget that he has a stray little line of loose hair at the leading edge of his hairline, sparse bangs which hang down just to the tops of his eyes. You're doing fine otherwise.
Just another guy from the shallow end of the gene pool.
nicolai
Da'Shar

Post by nicolai »

Very nice. One niggling little point I see, and without a direct frontal view I can't say for sure, but his eyes may be a touch too far apart. It's just the spacing from the bridge of his nose to the inside corner of his eye seems a bit wider than is normal.

And yes, I meet the definition of an art critic: someone who is unable to draw, himself, but nonetheless feels competent to criticise the attempts of others.

I do my best to keep my criticisms on the constructive side of the scale, and I do not criticise for its own sake.

Nicolai
An objective definition of "Political Correctness":

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority, and
rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the
proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Mistra
Katzh-dashi

Post by Mistra »

ok, i think i've got the body done. the tail is hidden atm, cause i wanted to start work on the pants and vest first and zbrush moves the pivotpoint rather annoyingly once i add the tail

and nicolai, you where right on the eyes, i moved them closer together, looks lots better now.
Attachments
tarrin5.png
tarrin6.png
nicolai
Da'Shar

Post by nicolai »

Mistra, I do try to be helpful.

Now I see the full body view, and another little point comes out. I think the proportions on the legs are off. The lower leg, knee to ankle, needs to be longer. How much, I'm not certain, but it's too short right now. And the feet (toes and ball of the foot) should be larger. In the story, claws tearing up pant legs are an everyday occurrence, remember.

How about four toes instead of five? That's typical for cats. The toes would be broad and relatively short, rather than long and slender.

The ankles aren't quite right, either. Maybe a more pronounced achilles tendon?

I can't tell, with the way you have him posed, but the hands may need to be larger, too.
An objective definition of "Political Correctness":

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority, and
rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the
proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Mistra
Katzh-dashi

Post by Mistra »

http://wiki.sennadar.com/index.php?title=Tarrin <- this is where i got my info on how tarrin looks, according to this, he has 5 toes

the original draft i made had longer lower legs, but for some reason it looked almost silly, i might lengthen them by about an inch or 2, that might still work

i'll post details on the hands as soon as i start laying on the basis of the fur, but i want the clothes and manacles done first
Fel
Weavespinner

Post by Fel »

He does in fact have 5 toes. This is how Were-cats differ from normal cats. They only have 4 toes on their hind feet in cat form.

And his feet are much more like cat's paws than feet across the ball of the foot. Make them wider, and give him a naturally wide stance, that's how his feet can support 5 thick, heavy toes.
Just another guy from the shallow end of the gene pool.