Sennadar Character Sketches

Caution, Spoilers
The new home for all the older Sennadar books, and the Legacy stories.

Moderator: Sennadar Moderators

Forum rules
Please Read the forum rules.
avidreader
Novice

Sennadar Character Sketches

Post by avidreader »

Hi, i'm new here. One of my favorite pasttimes used to be (and still is) reading fel's fascinating and deeply entertaining book series, the firestaff series, and the pyrosian series....oh, and the subjugation books as well...

I will be posting pics here and i've already e-mailed fel *winkwink* one of my tarrin sketches, well he's probably too busy to check his e-mail (endless toiler that he is :wink: ) i've decided to do this since noone else can draw sketches for poor fel... :cry: i'm trying to compensate for that enexcusable crime...at least i hope i do his wonderful characters justice.. :d

Good reading,

Avidreader

P.s. i'll be posting kerri's next.

Edited by Spec8472: Whoa, all caps.
avidreader
Novice

Re: WARNING!! CHARACTER SKETCHES AHEAD!! USE CAUTION.

Post by avidreader »

TARRIN KAEL
tarrin kael.jpg
DigitalMaestro
Sui'Kun

Post by DigitalMaestro »

Interesting concept. Please just do us all a favor and learn how to use proper capitalization. 8)

Other than that, nice work. Has a few things left for you to work out, like I believe Tarrin has a muzzle, but a very nice concept. I never could figure out how to visualize the paw/hands.

-DigitalMaestro
Weresmilodon
Fel is my Dark Lord ;)

Re: Sennadar Character Sketches

Post by Weresmilodon »

Also the ears. It's been a long time since i read the description, but i have the impression that the ears sits more to the sides then that. Isn't there a ridge going from where a normal human has ears up to where he does? I think they should be about halfway in between where they are now and where a human has them.

And, i think, longer fingers.

Nice work though. It's very nice to see someone actually make artwork for this. I wish you luck and good fortune.
"I'm a male. Males are supposed to act tough."
Tarrin, Chapter 29, The Questing Game.
avidreader
Novice

Post by avidreader »

DigitalMaestro wrote:Interesting concept. Please just do us all a favor and learn how to use proper capitalization. 8)

Other than that, nice work. Has a few things left for you to work out, like I believe Tarrin has a muzzle, but a very nice concept. I never could figure out how to visualize the paw/hands.

-DigitalMaestro

:oops: Heh...I'll try and remember that... :wink: Thanks for the critique!!
avidreader
Novice

Post by avidreader »

Weresmilodon wrote:Also the ears. It's been a long time since i read the description, but i have the impression that the ears sits more to the sides then that. Isn't there a ridge going from where a normal human has ears up to where he does? I think they should be about halfway in between where they are now and where a human has them.

And, i think, longer fingers.

Nice work though. It's very nice to see someone actually make artwork for this. I wish you luck and good fortune.

Thank you for replying. Yes, I see your point about the ears, and the fingers. I guess I was in such a hurry that I didn't pay much attention to finger porportion. But that's also why I submitted a rough sketch so if I made any mistakes it would be really easy to fix and anything else...ignore the doodles to the right.

That's alway how I pictured Tarrin, with the ears directly on top, sticking up directly like a cat's ears. *shrugs*
Last edited by avidreader on Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
avidreader
Novice

Post by avidreader »

Keritanima-Chan Eram
keritanima-chan eram.jpg

Please forgive the simplicity of this particular sketch, I alway had trouble imagining exactly what Kerri's face looked like. It's hard to put fox and human together and make it look...what's the word I'm looking for...subtle? Articulate? No....subtle's the word I'm looking for...sorry about this everybody...when I figure it out, I'll post a more decided and cleaner sketch of our favorite Wikuni queen.

Please be nice in commenting on this and ponder the conundrum of a animal-person royal wearing animal furs... :P
Ledsmith
Sorcerer

Post by Ledsmith »

I actually like the expression you put on the face. Sort of a questioning smirk like "Seriously, thats what you are comming to me with? I could squash you like a bug."

I understand it would be difficult translating that expression on to the animorphized face of a fox.
dellstart
Child of Niami

Post by dellstart »

avidreader wrote:Keritanima-Chan Eram
keritanima-chan eram.jpg

Please forgive the simplicity of this particular sketch, I alway had trouble imagining exactly what Kerri's face looked like. It's hard to put fox and human together and make it look...what's the word I'm looking for...subtle? Articulate? No....subtle's the word I'm looking for...sorry about this everybody...when I figure it out, I'll post a more decided and cleaner sketch of our favorite Wikuni queen.

Please be nice in commenting on this and ponder the conundrum of a animal-person royal wearing animal furs... :P

Have to admit its been so long since I have read any Sennadar stories, therefore my memory gets a little fuzzy on the fine details.
I have to admit though i have always viewed the wikuni generally and kerri especially as more of classic type animorphisim. Kind of basically an animal with just some human features.At least thats how he describes kerri ,if my memory serves me correctly.Thus I have to admit that whilst your picture captures the spirit of the character , i don't think it got all the fine details down 100%.Perhaps its kind of like those trick photography programs , where for fun you can meld a human face onto an animals and visa versa.T
Though good on you fro thtrying to give this a go, cause you can draw better than i ever could :oops:
Byte Storm
Initiate

Post by Byte Storm »

Though I don't recall (just re-read it 3 weeks ago) Tarrin having a muzzle, Keritanima most certainly did.

Think the Disney Robin Hood movie (the one where the characters are all bipedal animals), Maid Mariann.

For the general were cat look, think Felicia from Darkstalkers, but with more arm and leg fur.
Weresmilodon
Fel is my Dark Lord ;)

Post by Weresmilodon »

True. I remember an early description of Kerri involving a how her "lips" were formed to allow her to speak normally with a muzzle, and they are well known to have fur all over their bodies, tails, in some cases the senses of the animal they resemble and so on.

For some ideas on her, I'd suggest for example going to Furaffinity and using the Browse function. You'll find foxes under Canid - Fox.

Fel: I think you once, quite some time ago, posted some of your notes on characters, involving some detailed descriptions of them. Am i misremembering?
"I'm a male. Males are supposed to act tough."
Tarrin, Chapter 29, The Questing Game.
Fel
Weavespinner

Post by Fel »

Weresmilodon wrote:True. I remember an early description of Kerri involving a how her "lips" were formed to allow her to speak normally with a muzzle, and they are well known to have fur all over their bodies, tails, in some cases the senses of the animal they resemble and so on.

For some ideas on her, I'd suggest for example going to Furaffinity and using the Browse function. You'll find foxes under Canid - Fox.

Fel: I think you once, quite some time ago, posted some of your notes on characters, involving some detailed descriptions of them. Am i misremembering?
You're not misremembering.

I can redescribe for you. ;)

Tarrin Kael is 7'9" tall. He appears human except for his arms, legs, eyes, and ears, with a muscular yet lithe build, the body of a gymnast, though he does have fairly wide shoulders. He's ruggedly handsome in the manner of a Norse warrior (his Ungardt heritage). His eyes are green with vertically slitted pupils.

Arms: He has black fur that starts just above his elbows and goes down (though his right arm is now white). His hands are more than twice the proportionate size they should be for his height, with pads on his palm and fingertips and retracted claws. His fingers are also longer than proportional to a human hand, so his claws have room to retract. Tarrin has fetlocks that grow from the outsides of his wrists and extend about halfway up his forearms, growing in three distinct clusters of longer fur with shorter fur between them.

Legs: Black fur starts just above the knee and goes down. His feet are more cat's paw than human foot, but not abnormally long (he's not digitigrade, his feet are plantigrade), though he does tend to walk and stand on the balls of his feet, keeping his heels off the ground. His feet are extremely wide through the ball of his foot, where they look the most inhuman. The claws on his toes will not completely retract. Despite his feet not being true digitigrade, he's capable of walking and moving on all fours gracefully. Tarrin has shaggy fetlocks that grow from the outsides of his ankles.

Special notes:

--Tarrin's tail is exactly 1.5 times longer than his leg, and it drags the ground if limp. This is a proportion true through all Were-cats. It attaches to his butt just at the top of the cleft of his buttocks.
--His ears are catlike, and on the top/sides of his head, directly over where his humans ears would be if he had them.
--He favors a simple leather vest and sturdy leather trousers, which are usually tattered from the knees down due to his claws.
--The small of his back is very sleek, because his spine does not actually attach to his pelvis. This gives him far greater range of motion than a human.

As far as Keritanima goes, yes, she definitely has a muzzle. It's short and rather boxy, but still cute.
Just another guy from the shallow end of the gene pool.
dellstart
Child of Niami

Post by dellstart »

Fel wrote:
Weresmilodon wrote:True. I remember an early description of Kerri involving a how her "lips" were formed to allow her to speak normally with a muzzle, and they are well known to have fur all over their bodies, tails, in some cases the senses of the animal they resemble and so on.

You're not misremembering.

I can redescribe for you. ;)

Tarrin Kael is 7'9" tall. He appears human except for his arms, legs, eyes, and ears, with a muscular yet lithe build, the body of a gymnast, though he does have fairly wide shoulders. He's ruggedly handsome in the manner of a Norse warrior (his Ungardt heritage). His eyes are green with vertically slitted pupils.

Arms: He has black fur that starts just above his elbows and goes down (though his right arm is now white). His hands are more than twice the proportionate size they should be for his height, with pads on his palm and fingertips and retracted claws. His fingers are also longer than proportional to a human hand, so his claws have room to retract. Tarrin has fetlocks that grow from the outsides of his wrists and extend about halfway up his forearms, growing in three distinct clusters of longer fur with shorter fur between them.

Legs: Black fur starts just above the knee and goes down. His feet are more cat's paw than human foot, but not abnormally long (he's not digitigrade, his feet are plantigrade), though he does tend to walk and stand on the balls of his feet, keeping his heels off the ground. His feet are extremely wide through the ball of his foot, where they look the most inhuman. The claws on his toes will not completely retract. Despite his feet not being true digitigrade, he's capable of walking and moving on all fours gracefully. Tarrin has shaggy fetlocks that grow from the outsides of his ankles.

Special notes:

--Tarrin's tail is exactly 1.5 times longer than his leg, and it drags the ground if limp. This is a proportion true through all Were-cats. It attaches to his butt just at the top of the cleft of his buttocks.
--His ears are catlike, and on the top/sides of his head, directly over where his humans ears would be if he had them.
--He favors a simple leather vest and sturdy leather trousers, which are usually tattered from the knees down due to his claws.
--The small of his back is very sleek, because his spine does not actually attach to his pelvis. This gives him far greater range of motion than a human.

As far as Keritanima goes, yes, she definitely has a muzzle. It's short and rather boxy, but still cute.
well the master has spoken!
GBLW
Mi'Shara

Post by GBLW »

Well, somewhere or other I saw a drawing of a 'furrie' fox that I thought looked about like Kerri, but I can't seem to find it again. So although I'm not great at drawing, I see Kerri looking something like this.
Attachments
Kerri- 02
Kerri- 02
Kerri02.jpg (16.17 KiB) Viewed 20522 times
K Pelle aka GBLW
My recent stories are available at: http://www.grynenbayritpublications.com/
avidreader
Novice

Post by avidreader »

Fel, thanks for the details. You said that for the most part Tarrin looks human. Does that mean that this first sketch I did of him is correct...or close to it?

I'll try giving Kerri a cute, boxy muzzle as you suggested.

:wink: