Railguns now a reality

miraborn
Da'Shar

Railguns now a reality

Post by miraborn »

I saw this on Digg today and thought "Wow." Not quite what Jason came up with, but more like the original design that he based his gun on (Edit: Starship mounted satellite launcher). The unit will be ship-mounted on naval ships to replace / supplement existing guns with much greater range.

http://digg.com/gadgets/Railguns_Now_a_Reality

-Miraborn
Last edited by miraborn on Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Halcyon
Katzh-dashi

Re: Railguns now a reality

Post by Halcyon »

I wonder how much the railgun will cost. And for a $1000 a round, I'd be making sure I actually hit something important.
I so want one...oh well... :cry:
Wingsolution
Katzh-dashi

Post by Wingsolution »

that's a ship baised railgun, we're nowhere close to a handheld model yet, mostly because of power requirements, we can't make nukes that small yet... the reactors anyways...
bored and lazy... it's more fun to talk on gaia...
Halcyon
Katzh-dashi

Post by Halcyon »

Wingsolution wrote:that's a ship baised railgun, we're nowhere close to a handheld model yet, mostly because of power requirements, we can't make nukes that small yet... the reactors anyways...
Well sure, but it would be cool to have one for the tank I'll own someday! :P
Fel
Weavespinner

Post by Fel »

Like I told you guys a long time ago, Jason's railgun is inspired from real technology. ;)
Just another guy from the shallow end of the gene pool.
Hearly
Speed Racer!

Post by Hearly »

Fel wrote:Like I told you guys a long time ago, Jason's railgun is inspired from real technology. ;)
Or maybe the Movie Eraser? (hell I think that had the corkscrew too)

heh :P
Fel
Weavespinner

Post by Fel »

Actually, the railguns from Eraser were ALSO based on real technology. Not the xray scopes and all that other crap, but the concept of the rail gun, either a magnetic or electrostatic catapult system for projectiles, is very real.

The corkscrew trail is also very real. When rounds moving that fast spin, the shockwave condenses water vapor in the air in the direction of their spin, just like the vapor trail off an airplane seen from a distance, leaving a corkscrew tail behind them showing how they've displaced the air. That's not smoke behind the round, that's water vapor.

That's basic physics.

Bullets fired from a gun would create a similar corkscrew if they were moving fast enough.
Just another guy from the shallow end of the gene pool.
Hearly
Speed Racer!

Post by Hearly »

Fel wrote:Actually, the railguns from Eraser were ALSO based on real technology. Not the xray scopes and all that other crap, but the concept of the rail gun, either a magnetic or electrostatic catapult system for projectiles, is very real.

The corkscrew trail is also very real. When rounds moving that fast spin, the shockwave condenses water vapor in the air in the direction of their spin, just like the vapor trail off an airplane seen from a distance, leaving a corkscrew tail behind them showing how they've displaced the air. That's not smoke behind the round, that's water vapor.

That's basic physics.

Bullets fired from a gun would create a similar corkscrew if they were moving fast enough.
Oh I know they were based on Real Tech, but I just have never seen one actually fired so I wasn't sure if the corkscrew would be real or not.
Fiferguy
Cloudy, 12C, to -2C o/n with a chance of scattered postings

Post by Fiferguy »

Fel wrote:Actually, the railguns from Eraser were ALSO based on real technology. Not the xray scopes and all that other crap, but the concept of the rail gun, either a magnetic or electrostatic catapult system for projectiles, is very real.

That's basic physics.

So, Great Fel, why did Jason's railgun lose the sonic boom?
ANTIcarrot
Sui'Kun

Post by ANTIcarrot »

Fel wrote:The corkscrew trail is also very real. When rounds moving that fast spin, the shockwave condenses water vapor in the air in the direction of their spin
This I'm not too sure about. Whatever the spin might be doing to the air, the bullet is moving at mach 15 or so, and generating an appropriate shockwave, which might disrupt such effects.

Building railguns hasn't been a problem for a long time. The problem is that each time they are fired the rails melt. Up until now that is. If the Americans have solved that problem this could be very interesting indeed.
miraborn
Da'Shar

Post by miraborn »

The problem is that each time they are fired the rails melt.
There might be some confusion here. Railguns technically have a shuttle of sorts that moves through the barrel pushing the projectile ahead of it. The shuttle is moved by the magnetic forces. A Gauss gun uses magnetic forces to move the projectile itself with no other moving parts. Jason's railgun would technically be a gauss gun - as would (I believe) the new American weapon.

-Miraborn