The Imperium's In Trouble - Can Jason save it?

ampws
Sorcerer

The Imperium's In Trouble - Can Jason save it?

Post by ampws »

The Imperium is in deep trouble.

We have:

1) A war this the Skaa

Very little information on this as Fel has been very QT on it.

2) Corrupt Noble houses

Noble Houses with standing fleets big enough to threaten the Empress, and now House Trillane has a standing army of over a million human conscripts.

3) A static (not quite) decaying society.

In an active society technical inovation would be much faster but the Fay have been content to coast on the work of the house karrine for the last thousand odd years. Any innovations have been more a matter of developing existing technologies and theories left behind by the Karrines rather than quantum leaps in innovation.

Personally I would not be suprised if what technical innovation and progress the Imperium had made was due to those 'odd' karrine descendents left behind after the civil war.

4) [s] Potential [/s] civil war on the horizon

The Empress as much as admitted to Jason that civil war was on the horizon.

So what can Jason do to help avert these problems?

Lets hear your thoughts people.

AMPWS :D
lapland
Katzh-dashi

Re: The Imperium's In Trouble - Can Jason save it?

Post by lapland »

Jason has the Kemdori, moon base and the replicaters. How many automated warships can he build a month? And noone would know until they appeared in their sky. He could shut down the empire with 120. Drop ten over every highborn House head planet and see how quickly they surrender.
ANTIcarrot
Sui'Kun

Post by ANTIcarrot »

The other houses have been planning this for a long time. One of their assumptions has been no significant change of conditions in the Imperium. Jason and the whole Earth business combined represent a huge shift.

This could put the breaks on, as people scramble to readjust their plans, or abandon them all together, or accelerate the process, by making them strike now, before more change happens.

In the short term, releasing the food replicators is probably the worst thing Jason could do. As long as the imperium is dependent on Earth for food, Earth isn't a target for orbital bombardment. The Terran system may be, but to a large extent Earth itself is protected via necessity.
Fiferguy
Cloudy, 12C, to -2C o/n with a chance of scattered postings

Post by Fiferguy »

The problem that I see is that necessity doesn't necessarily mean safety. In fact, if nothing else, it can be used to influence the other side of a war to give in. Look at what the North did to the South toward the end of the American Civil War. When Sheridan burned the Shenandoah Valley, he said, "Burn it all. Then they won't have nothing to fight for." Then a few weeks later, Sherman burned Georgia. Why fight if there's nothing left to fight for?

As for the food shortage that would ensue, why worry about it? You'll be the ruling class after that, and you'll have all the food you need. Who cares about your conquered subjects?
ANTIcarrot
Sui'Kun

Post by ANTIcarrot »

Yes, but Earth is one of the Faey's top food exporters. If they wreck it I'm not sure there is somewhere else in the Imperium they can go for food.
michaelsuave
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Post by michaelsuave »

ANTIcarrot wrote:Yes, but Earth is one of the Faey's top food exporters. If they wreck it I'm not sure there is somewhere else in the Imperium they can go for food.
Frankly, I don't think you have too much to worry about with people attacking earth. If a house was to attack earth they would not only be making an enemy out of Jason, but also the house that is contracted to do the labor on earth, and the imperial navy and the empress as the marines are going to be protecting earth. Further, Jason is going to make earth so secure that outsiders would be nuts to try and attack it. I also have a feeling that Jason will start another karinne acadamy, but this time on earth. Last time somebody nuked the acadamy, the urami took on the empire. I think they learned their lesson. It wouldn't do the seperatists any good to just take the faey empire, only to have legions from outside of the faey empire whipe it out.

~Michael 8)
Tin Foil... Still putting down money that its the key for the defeat of the baddies...

Fel, Is it done yet? Probably not, but I don't have anything better to do! Is it done yet? Probably not, but I don't have anything better to do! Ahhh, its done... dang, now what am I going to read???
New books! Yay! let the nagging begin! Is it done yet? Probably not, but I don't have anything better to do! Is it done yet? Probably not, but I don't have anything better to do!...

True, I really have nothing better to do in my free time, I mean, what could be better than reading Fel's stories or being messed with by Spec? Thanks for the fun spec!
Fiferguy

Post by Fiferguy »

But remember, the more valuable a target, the more important a target becomes...
Hearly
Speed Racer!

Post by Hearly »

Fiferguy wrote:But remember, the more valuable a target, the more important a target becomes...
To a Point, Jason has a Major Advantage with the Karinne Drive systems, with them, any trip throu Hyperspace is done in Real Time, I think Fel said with a normal Drive it takes 6 days to get either to Krias(sp?) or from Krias to earth, but with the Karinne drive system it took a matter of seconds/Minutes..

That ability in and of itself would give whomever controlled it a Major advantage over everyone whom did not..
Fiferguy

Post by Fiferguy »

True enough...but you'd have to know they were on their way to make use of it...

P.S. House Karinne's home planet is Karis... ;)
Hearly
Speed Racer!

Post by Hearly »

Fiferguy wrote:True enough...but you'd have to know they were on their way to make use of it...

ya I just didn't feel like looking it up, with there Drive system, and there Real Time communications over large distances, I think that would give Jason a Very Large Tactical Advantage, Also now with him controlling earth, he could build some Very large Rail Gun systems, that I do not think a ship could stand up to..
Spec8472
Weavespinner

Post by Spec8472 »

Hearly wrote:
Fiferguy wrote:P.S. House Karinne's home planet is Karis... ;)
ya I just didn't feel like looking it up
Spelling Tip:
Karis, Home Planet of: Karinne.
Karinne, House of.
Karly aka Greymist (kidding) ;)
michaelsuave
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Post by michaelsuave »

Hearly wrote:
Fiferguy wrote:True enough...but you'd have to know they were on their way to make use of it...

ya I just didn't feel like looking it up, with there Drive system, and there Real Time communications over large distances, I think that would give Jason a Very Large Tactical Advantage, Also now with him controlling earth, he could build some Very large Rail Gun systems, that I do not think a ship could stand up to..
I agree on the Really large railgun systems, the problem is the magnetic shields. I thought those could reflect the railgun shells... still, the translated force from a large grade railgun shell would shake a battleship/cruiser to pieces. All it would take is a grazing shot also... :twisted: Add to that Jason's shield technology that would reflect mpac shots (maybe combined with the karinne shield technology that absorbs the kinetic energy of the shots) and you have one awesome defensive/offensive technology.

~Michael :twisted:
Tin Foil... Still putting down money that its the key for the defeat of the baddies...

Fel, Is it done yet? Probably not, but I don't have anything better to do! Is it done yet? Probably not, but I don't have anything better to do! Ahhh, its done... dang, now what am I going to read???
New books! Yay! let the nagging begin! Is it done yet? Probably not, but I don't have anything better to do! Is it done yet? Probably not, but I don't have anything better to do!...

True, I really have nothing better to do in my free time, I mean, what could be better than reading Fel's stories or being messed with by Spec? Thanks for the fun spec!
Hearly
Speed Racer!

Post by Hearly »

Ya, All Jason would have to do with Karinne shielding is figure a way to use the Heat/dissipate it

Some Ideas that could work, Use liquid Helium as a coolant, have the generators exposed to space (using maybe some grating 2 levels so theres no way to hit it directly) with a fan that blows the heat away, etc..

There is probably many many ideas that could be thought up for it.
Greymist
Weavespinner

Post by Greymist »

Spec8472 wrote:
Hearly wrote:
Fiferguy wrote:P.S. House Karinne's home planet is Karis... ;)
ya I just didn't feel like looking it up
Spelling Tip:
Karis, Home Planet of: Karinne.
Karinne, House of.
Karly aka Greymist (kidding) ;)
Lady Karly to you!
Fiferguy

Post by Fiferguy »

Hearly wrote:have the generators exposed to space (using maybe some grating 2 levels so theres no way to hit it directly) with a fan that blows the heat away, etc..
Except fans blow air and there's no air in space... ;-) That's why there's no propellers in space.