Other races capable of interbreeding? (Big Spoilers!)

User avatar
Hearly
Speed Racer!
Posts: 1076
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2004 5:06 am

Other races capable of interbreeding? (Big Spoilers!)

Post by Hearly » Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:15 am

Fel, Have the Faey ever ran into any other races that are as close to them as Humans are?

To me this seems a bit more than coincidence, I mean how can Humans and Faey be that Close that they can have children if there was no outside Interference at some point..

Also, The reason Faey are blue is because of there Sun, Would they become more Human in color the longer they stayed on Earth?

User avatar
Fiferguy
Cloudy, 12C, to -2C o/n with a chance of scattered postings
Posts: 1356
Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2005 5:03 pm
Location: Kidarn Mountains of Dolaria
Contact:

Re: Other races capable of interbreeding? (Big Spoilers!)

Post by Fiferguy » Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:32 am

Hearly wrote:Also, The reason Faey are blue is because of there Sun, Would they become more Human in color the longer they stayed on Earth?
I thought about this before, and I don't think so. They wouldn't have the tan melanin that humans posses, only the blue melanin from Draconis. Think about it, Faey live on many different planets in front of many different stars, and they're still blue.

User avatar
Lochar
Leaders of the Off-Topic
Posts: 1462
Joined: Thu Oct 09, 2003 4:18 pm
Location: The center of American corruption.
Contact:

Re: Other races capable of interbreeding? (Big Spoilers!)

Post by Lochar » Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:33 am

Fiferguy wrote:
Hearly wrote:Also, The reason Faey are blue is because of there Sun, Would they become more Human in color the longer they stayed on Earth?
I thought about this before, and I don't think so. They wouldn't have the tan melanin that humans posses, only the blue melanin from Draconis. Think about it, Faey live on many different planets in front of many different stars, they they're still blue.
Humans will tan blue on Draconis. Will Faey tan brown on Earth? :)
Ignorance is bliss, knowledge is power. Are the powerful very unhappy?

Support my brother.
http://www.justiceformichael.com

Weresmilodon
Fel is my Dark Lord ;)
Posts: 463
Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2003 7:19 pm

Re: Other races capable of interbreeding? (Big Spoilers!)

Post by Weresmilodon » Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:38 am

No, Faey remain blue, they only have blue pigments, while humans have black.
The exception to this are humans with Faey ancestors, those ones have both black and blue pigments, though it haven't been discovered yet. Humans with mixed parentage will turn brown on earth and blue on Draconis, while Faey will remain blue. (Unless one of them had mixed ancestry and grew up/spent all time on Draconis, in which case there would be brown sunburn on earth, and possible other worlds where the sun gives of the same light.)
"I'm a male. Males are supposed to act tough."
Tarrin, Chapter 29, The Questing Game.

User avatar
Fiferguy
Cloudy, 12C, to -2C o/n with a chance of scattered postings
Posts: 1356
Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2005 5:03 pm
Location: Kidarn Mountains of Dolaria
Contact:

Re: Other races capable of interbreeding? (Big Spoilers!)

Post by Fiferguy » Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:54 am

Lochar wrote:
Fiferguy wrote:
Hearly wrote:Also, The reason Faey are blue is because of there Sun, Would they become more Human in color the longer they stayed on Earth?
I thought about this before, and I don't think so. They wouldn't have the tan melanin that humans posses, only the blue melanin from Draconis. Think about it, Faey live on many different planets in front of many different stars, they they're still blue.
Humans will tan blue on Draconis. Will Faey tan brown on Earth? :)
Only humans with Faey ancestry will tan blue on Draconis... ;)

Faey on Earth turn purple... remember:
In Chapter 4, Fel wrote: He ignored that. “You’d better get some of that spray. You’re looking a bit purple,” he told her, looking down at her breasts boldly.

“Yeah, I know,” she said, cupping one of her breasts absently and poking the purpled slope of her breast with a finger, testing her skin. “I certainly don’t want to forget before I get Tim in the module. Trust me, it hurts more than it feels good when a guy grabs hold of a sunburned tit. The only thing that hurts worse than a guy grabbing your sunburned tit is when he bites your sunburned nipple.”

User avatar
Hearly
Speed Racer!
Posts: 1076
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2004 5:06 am

Re: Other races capable of interbreeding? (Big Spoilers!)

Post by Hearly » Sun Jan 14, 2007 1:02 am

Ok, so we've resolved the Skin color issue, lets see about the other issue, To me It seems way to Coincidental that Faey and Humans are that genetically compatible without some outside interference..

User avatar
Fiferguy
Cloudy, 12C, to -2C o/n with a chance of scattered postings
Posts: 1356
Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2005 5:03 pm
Location: Kidarn Mountains of Dolaria
Contact:

Re: Other races capable of interbreeding? (Big Spoilers!)

Post by Fiferguy » Sun Jan 14, 2007 1:15 am

It does seem rather unusual... with an almost infinite number of combinations for possible genetic combinations, the odds of a compatible species is almost null. So I wonder if there was some sort of a guiding hand behind it. Maybe some sort of super advanced race long gone, or a deity of some sort.

User avatar
Hearly
Speed Racer!
Posts: 1076
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2004 5:06 am

Re: Other races capable of interbreeding? (Big Spoilers!)

Post by Hearly » Sun Jan 14, 2007 1:17 am

Fiferguy wrote:It does seem rather unusual... with an almost infinite number of combinations for possible genetic combinations, the odds of a compatible species is almost null. So I wonder if there was some sort of a guiding hand behind it. Maybe some sort of super advanced race long gone, or a deity of some sort.
Ya, I know in the one chapter the doctors were pushing that Goren(sp?) law to explain the development of the Humans vs Faey, But to me that seems very very fishy as if that was true, then wouldn't Most of the species they ran into be Compatible?

User avatar
Fiferguy
Cloudy, 12C, to -2C o/n with a chance of scattered postings
Posts: 1356
Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2005 5:03 pm
Location: Kidarn Mountains of Dolaria
Contact:

Re: Other races capable of interbreeding? (Big Spoilers!)

Post by Fiferguy » Sun Jan 14, 2007 1:31 am

Hearly wrote:
Fiferguy wrote:It does seem rather unusual... with an almost infinite number of combinations for possible genetic combinations, the odds of a compatible species is almost null. So I wonder if there was some sort of a guiding hand behind it. Maybe some sort of super advanced race long gone, or a deity of some sort.
Ya, I know in the one chapter the doctors were pushing that Goren(sp?) law to explain the development of the Humans vs Faey, But to me that seems very very fishy as if that was true, then wouldn't Most of the species they ran into be Compatible?
I think it would depend on the planet. Gora's law, per chapter 14, says "that planets with similar conditions would produce living creatures with similar evolutionary traits. The more the two different planets were similar, the more similar the life upon them." It goes on to say that Draconis and Earth are very similar. But I don't know. It seems too convenient...but then again, it's a story. ;)

It's also funny... Gora from Gora's law was a Karinne--Gora Karinne... maybe they knew something that they didn't tell anyone. :twisted:

User avatar
Hearly
Speed Racer!
Posts: 1076
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2004 5:06 am

Re: Other races capable of interbreeding? (Big Spoilers!)

Post by Hearly » Sun Jan 14, 2007 1:33 am

Fiferguy wrote: I think it would depend on the planet. Gora's law, per chapter 14, says "that planets with similar conditions would produce living creatures with similar evolutionary traits. The more the two different planets were similar, the more similar the life upon them." It goes on to say that Draconis and Earth are very similar. But I don't know. It seems too convenient...but then again, it's a story. ;)

It's also funny... Gora from Gora's law was a Karinne--Gora Karinne... maybe they knew something that they didn't tell anyone. :twisted:
maybe, But any Planet that Faey could "breath" on would have to have similar evolution as Draconis...

User avatar
Fiferguy
Cloudy, 12C, to -2C o/n with a chance of scattered postings
Posts: 1356
Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2005 5:03 pm
Location: Kidarn Mountains of Dolaria
Contact:

Re: Other races capable of interbreeding? (Big Spoilers!)

Post by Fiferguy » Sun Jan 14, 2007 2:01 am

Hearly wrote:
Fiferguy wrote: I think it would depend on the planet. Gora's law, per chapter 14, says "that planets with similar conditions would produce living creatures with similar evolutionary traits. The more the two different planets were similar, the more similar the life upon them." It goes on to say that Draconis and Earth are very similar. But I don't know. It seems too convenient...but then again, it's a story. ;)

It's also funny... Gora from Gora's law was a Karinne--Gora Karinne... maybe they knew something that they didn't tell anyone. :twisted:
maybe, But any Planet that Faey could "breath" on would have to have similar evolution as Draconis...
Not necessarily. An oxygen based atmosphere wouldn't be that hard to find. Look at how many planets the Faey have colonized over the millennia. All the home planets of the Nobles have oxygen based atmosphere, including many of their other planets. Not all the colonized worlds are that way, but I would say that a lot of them are. So there has to be other causes.

Astardis
Initiate
Posts: 47
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2005 10:15 pm

Re: Other races capable of interbreeding? (Big Spoilers!)

Post by Astardis » Sun Jan 14, 2007 2:51 am

In reality, the probability that a completely independent species developed the ability to interbreed with humans is close to nil. Even our most direct ancestors the oranguta apes are genetically over 99% compatible with humans but aren't able to breed.

The idea, that environments who are similar will produce similar biological species is quite interesting but doesn't stand up to closer inspection. Just take earth for example. The only reason why humans have developed at all is, that the dinosaurs died out due to an outside event of a meteor crashing down, which enabled the smaller mammals to develop into the ruling species.

But in the end, two things are speaking for Fel's idea. First, the universe is huge, so f***ing huge some won't believe it ( 8) ) and so, somewhere a human-like species might exists and secondly it's a story and Fel can write what he wants to write. Subjugation wouldn't be Subjugation without the possibility of human/faey children, since it's one of the central theme.


Astardis

User avatar
ANTIcarrot
Sui'Kun
Posts: 444
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2005 12:19 pm
Location: Stevenage, UK
Contact:

Re: Other races capable of interbreeding? (Big Spoilers!)

Post by ANTIcarrot » Sun Jan 14, 2007 3:28 am

Subjugation wouldn't be Subjugation without the possibility of human/faey children, since it's one of the central theme.
I'd still be very interested in examining the Draconis fossil record, and looking very carefully at how far back the Faey's ancestors could be traced.

User avatar
Fiferguy
Cloudy, 12C, to -2C o/n with a chance of scattered postings
Posts: 1356
Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2005 5:03 pm
Location: Kidarn Mountains of Dolaria
Contact:

Re: Other races capable of interbreeding? (Big Spoilers!)

Post by Fiferguy » Sun Jan 14, 2007 3:46 am

Astardis wrote:The idea, that environments who are similar will produce similar biological species is quite interesting but doesn't stand up to closer inspection. Just take earth for example. The only reason why humans have developed at all is, that the dinosaurs died out due to an outside event of a meteor crashing down, which enabled the smaller mammals to develop into the ruling species.
Except for the fact that meteor impact is not only plausible, it's expected. Any planet in the universe should expect that kind of bombardment. Since the Earth has been subject to numerous such impacts over the years; one such is even postulated to have created the Moon. So saying that that one impact is the reason that Humans can't be like the Faey is saying we're unique among the universe. Draconis, being a similar planet to Earth, would be expected to have similar Extinction Level Events on their planet. Perhaps that explains their pointed ears vs. our rounded ones. But it is entirely plausible, that if both species were seeded by another, greater entity, that they would evolve along a similar path. And I believe that's the discussion right now, that there was a seeder race/deity that started both races.

I think that it would've had to have been ten thousand years apart though, or so. The Faey have been a true space faring race for over 1500 years, and probably closer to 2500-3000 years. The Faey Third Civil War happened 1300 years ago, according to Fel, and the Faey had been true space-farers for longer than that. Since humans are still very primitive in regards to space flight, it is only logical to assume that the Faey was seeded first.

User avatar
Hearly
Speed Racer!
Posts: 1076
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2004 5:06 am

Re: Other races capable of interbreeding? (Big Spoilers!)

Post by Hearly » Sun Jan 14, 2007 4:07 am

Fiferguy wrote:
Astardis wrote:The idea, that environments who are similar will produce similar biological species is quite interesting but doesn't stand up to closer inspection. Just take earth for example. The only reason why humans have developed at all is, that the dinosaurs died out due to an outside event of a meteor crashing down, which enabled the smaller mammals to develop into the ruling species.
Except for the fact that meteor impact is not only plausible, it's expected. Any planet in the universe should expect that kind of bombardment. Since the Earth has been subject to numerous such impacts over the years; one such is even postulated to have created the Moon. So saying that that one impact is the reason that Humans can't be like the Faey is saying we're unique among the universe. Draconis, being a similar planet to Earth, would be expected to have similar Extinction Level Events on their planet. Perhaps that explains their pointed ears vs. our rounded ones. But it is entirely plausible, that if both species were seeded by another, greater entity, that they would evolve along a similar path. And I believe that's the discussion right now, that there was a seeder race/deity that started both races.

I think that it would've had to have been ten thousand years apart though, or so. The Faey have been a true space faring race for over 1500 years, and probably closer to 2500-3000 years. The Faey Third Civil War happened 1300 years ago, according to Fel, and the Faey had been true space-farers for longer than that. Since humans are still very primitive in regards to space flight, it is only logical to assume that the Faey was seeded first.
It's also even possible that maybe the Kimoridi had a hand in seeding the Earth with some of the DNA from Faey? to maybe see if they could make them less war like?

Locked