Length of a Year

miraborn
Da'Shar

Length of a Year

Post by miraborn »

If memory serves, the length of a Faey year and an Earth year are different (Faey being shorter). However, there seems to be a general lack of consensus as to how long ago the 3rd civil war, fall of Karinne, Karinne landing on Earth, etc. were. We see the number 1300 years ago flying around a lot, as well as 1000 years ago, and 1500 years ago. Is this just an inconsistancy thing, or is it that the the speaker is referring to things in Faey versus Human years?

Also, Can we have a comparison between the Gregorian Calendar and the Faey Calendar?

Thanks,
-Miraborn
Spec8472
Weavespinner

Re: Length of a Year

Post by Spec8472 »

That information is on the Wiki - http://wiki.sennadar.plebian.net/index. ... x_Calendar

Although it's not mentioned on the Wiki, the length of a Faey day is around 30 hours, due to a difference in the rotational period of Draconis. (It's described in Chapter 2/3, I think - when talking about the TV programming)
Fel
Weavespinner

Post by Fel »

The accurate length of time is about 1300 years, but since that's an unusual number, the characters simplify it in their minds and in their speech with a more rounded number. If I did it correctly, you SHOULD see the use of the accurate number when it's referenced outside the point of view of one of the characters. The characters themselves are rounding the number either up or down when they reference it.

Rounding is something we all do. ;)

If I screwed it up and put an improper reference somewhere, I'll fix it when I go back to re-read and edit after finishing the last chapter.
Just another guy from the shallow end of the gene pool.
kabalman2000
Sorcerer

Post by kabalman2000 »

So I started to work on a program to convert Gregorian dates to Faey Orthodox dates (it's what I do, I'm not entirely sane, OK?) and I ran into a roadblock in that there are only nine months mentioned in the story and on the wiki. The tenth month name is missing in the last half of the year and I'm stymied.

Please? What might the tenth month be and where does it fall in the calendar?

Yes, it's going to go the other way as well. It will also include when during the day the other date changes because of the longer / shorter days. Once done, all it needs will be one date/time concurrence to match up both calendars.

If the hours don't match exactly, I could take that into account as well. Just need something like a Faey day being 30.54 human hours or some such. The incredible coincidence of 30 hours exactly would, of course, make it much easier.

Thanks,
Choy
Lochar
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Post by Lochar »

kabalman2000 wrote:So I started to work on a program to convert Gregorian dates to Faey Orthodox dates (it's what I do, I'm not entirely sane, OK?)

<snip>

Thanks,
Choy
I'm sorry, but that passes beyond the realm of not entirely sane to 'completely bug-f'ck nuts.' Just FYI, my friend.

Although, it might be interesting to turn a paper in at college with the Faey date on it. After introducing the professor to Subjugation, of course.
Ignorance is bliss, knowledge is power. Are the powerful very unhappy?

Support my brother.
http://www.justiceformichael.com
Mizriath
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Post by Mizriath »

kabalman2000 wrote:So I started to work on a program to convert Gregorian dates to Faey Orthodox dates (it's what I do, I'm not entirely sane, OK?) and I ran into a roadblock in that there are only nine months mentioned in the story and on the wiki. The tenth month name is missing in the last half of the year and I'm stymied.

Please? What might the tenth month be and where does it fall in the calendar?

Yes, it's going to go the other way as well. It will also include when during the day the other date changes because of the longer / shorter days. Once done, all it needs will be one date/time concurrence to match up both calendars.

If the hours don't match exactly, I could take that into account as well. Just need something like a Faey day being 30.54 human hours or some such. The incredible coincidence of 30 hours exactly would, of course, make it much easier.

Thanks,
Choy
Hmm since you say you are not entirely say, could you do a kind of glossary index.... on subjugation. I was already nuts trying to picture where the planets are in relative to each other...
The sea flows as long as Earth exist, Love is alive as long as people exist. I will read Fel's stories as long as my heart still beats.