Humans and telepathy ...

Fiferguy
Cloudy, 12C, to -2C o/n with a chance of scattered postings

Re: Humans and telepathy ...

Post by Fiferguy »

michaelsuave wrote:
Fiferguy wrote:Uh huh...sure you do... Remember psions can read minds, and we know when you're fibbing...
you can tell when we are fibbing? Then tell whether I am... your Dolorian site is now listed on pron top ten lists... :twisted: maybe the thousands of people wanting "updates" will get you to write faster now... :twisted:
Well, my power went out at my apartment, and I left my notebook with all the Dolaria stuff in it at my apartment when I vacated to go to a friend that had a fireplace. His power is still on, but mine's still out. Damned ice storm... So it's going to be a while.
Fiferguy

Post by Fiferguy »

Besides, if my site gets hacked because someone got pissed that it WASN'T a pron site, I'm just going to take it down. Then you'll just have to suffer until I find another place to put it...and tease you with the 20 chapters I'll write in the meantime.
Hearly
Speed Racer!

Post by Hearly »

I was thinking last night, If 1% of Humans have Kids with Faey, After around 7 generations all Humans will be telepathic.

(Using fel's Premise that the Faey DNA where Telepathic ability resides there is no Human DNA at that same spot, so the Faey DNA would always go to the Children..)

If only .1% Of Humans Have Kids with Faey, after 11 or so Generations all Humans would be telepathic..

Thought it was interesting when I was thinking about it..

So because of Inbreeding with Faey, it will eventually cause ALL humans to become more Faey..
Astardis
Initiate

Post by Astardis »

Hearly wrote:I was thinking last night, If 1% of Humans have Kids with Faey, After around 7 generations all Humans will be telepathic.

(Using fel's Premise that the Faey DNA where Telepathic ability resides there is no Human DNA at that same spot, so the Faey DNA would always go to the Children..)

If only .1% Of Humans Have Kids with Faey, after 11 or so Generations all Humans would be telepathic..

So because of Inbreeding with Faey, it will eventually cause ALL humans to become more Faey..
You assume, that every human with telepathy is marrying and having kids with someone who has no power. But actually it's more likely, that telepaths are drawn to other telepaths because of the mental communion they can share both. Non telepaths might have reservations against telepaths and their powers and tend to avoid them on principal.

So I find it highly unlike to assume .1% as a likely number. The first big obstacle will be the faeys necessary to come to earth and mate with humans. .1% is roughly 6 million faey who will have to come to earth just to start the first generation of telepathic humans and that seems rather unlikely. 8)
We know, human men can be attractive to faey women, since they are quite aggressive and awake the "hunting instinct" in feay women. On the other hand, I have problems seeing alot of faey men pursing human women or vice versa since they generally might not be compatible in their most common personalities. (I don't say human women won't be interested in faey men at all, but I might see were the habit of wearing makeup and such, might steer some women away.)

So in the end I would say, that outside of genetic manipulation, it will take at least fifty to a hundred generations for the biggest part of humanity to become telepathic.

Astardis
Hearly
Speed Racer!

Post by Hearly »

Astardis wrote:
Hearly wrote:I was thinking last night, If 1% of Humans have Kids with Faey, After around 7 generations all Humans will be telepathic.

You assume, that every human with telepathy is marrying and having kids with someone who has no power. But actually it's more likely, that telepaths are drawn to other telepaths because of the mental communion they can share both. Non telepaths might have reservations against telepaths and their powers and tend to avoid them on principal.

So I find it highly unlike to assume .1% as a likely number. The first big obstacle will be the faeys necessary to come to earth and mate with humans. .1% is roughly 6 million faey who will have to come to earth just to start the first generation of telepathic humans and that seems rather unlikely. 8)
We know, human men can be attractive to faey women, since they are quite aggressive and awake the "hunting instinct" in feay women. On the other hand, I have problems seeing alot of faey men pursing human women or vice versa since they generally might not be compatible in their most common personalities. (I don't say human women won't be interested in faey men at all, but I might see were the habit of wearing makeup and such, might steer some women away.)

So in the end I would say, that outside of genetic manipulation, it will take at least fifty to a hundred generations for the biggest part of humanity to become telepathic.

Astardis
I wasn't even really refering to Human Telepath Having Kids with Other Human Telepaths, I was Looking at Faey Females Marrying and having Kids with Human Males.. To me .1% might be reasonable considering how many of them think Human Males are "hot" and not at all like Faey Males..
ANTIcarrot
Sui'Kun

Post by ANTIcarrot »

However, for the past three years, the faey women that earth men have been exposed to are nobles and soldiers from house trillane; who by all accounts have been behaving themselves. Whores and bitches and sadists and murderers for the most part. And the marines who weren't that much better. That might sully the prospect of romance for faey women from other parts of the imperium.

There's also the traditional human reaction to 'sell outs' who marry the invader, or to being ruled by an elite minority. And the perception that as far as normal humans go, *every* faey is a potential mind-rapist.

There is a lot of justified fear and hatred on the part of the humans. And that can be even more persistent than unjustified fear and hatred. Even decades on, I'm not so sure integration will be as easy as some think.
Fiferguy

Post by Fiferguy »

I think that after Terra gets a taste of the system that Jason is going to institute the opinion of the Faey will be different. They may not completely accept them, but look at conquered civilizations earlier in Earth history. The Gauls, the Celts, the Native Americans, the Romans, etc. Every group of people on this planet has at one time or another been conquered. At first, there is a period of resentment and dissension, but after awhile acceptance and assimilation. And the pluses of the Faey conquering the Humans will be viewed by most as much more of a benefit than a hindrance.
ANTIcarrot
Sui'Kun

Post by ANTIcarrot »

Fiferguy wrote: but look at conquered civilizations earlier in Earth history. The Gauls, the Celts, the Native Americans, the Romans, etc.
The Nazis...
Every group of people on this planet has at one time or another been conquered.
Humans weren't beaten or conquered. Their leaders folded without a shot being fired, and they were then oppressed by faey overlords. Contrast the german attitude at the end of WWI and WWII. Or with the current Iraqi insurgents.
At first, there is a period of resentment and dissension, but after awhile acceptance and assimilation.
Try to remember we're not talking about naughty little school children here, who'll sulk and then do what the nearest adult tell them. They'll take the tech and the imperial economy and likely beat the faey round the head with them. But the humans can't 'grow up' into telepaths. Without some way to detect or block telepathy a human can never trust a faey or faey descendant. Trust is testable. Trust is provable.

For privacy, the fact that the other peeson doesn't particularly want to know what you're thinking will be enough for some. But for business, or politics, or war, telepaths *will* want to know what you're thinking. And a human can't tell if they are or not.

Remember, there are a dozen or so nations of non telepaths outside the Imperium. And *none* of them trust the faey. If they don't, why should humanity?
Halcyon
Katzh-dashi

Post by Halcyon »

Good point. But at the same time, do they really have a choice? Given the fact that any of those other species and the Faey could destroy the planet at any given time, I'd hope my conquerors would provide a modicum of protection at least.
ANTIcarrot
Sui'Kun

Post by ANTIcarrot »

But at the same time, do they really have a choice?
At present, possibly not. That will likely no longer be the case in fifty years time. (Unless Jason deliberately cripples Earth's defenses or something silly like that.) Reactionless thrusters do make dirt cheap planet crackers after all. :P Exit hyperspace as close as you can going as close to C as you can and aim for the planet. Or get even closer to C and aim for their star. Time the latter right, and Karris will seem like a case of minor sunburn by comparison.

Long as we can hit back MAD should still work.

PS: Why yes I am a student of the Larry Niven school of space combat...
Halcyon
Katzh-dashi

Post by Halcyon »

Riiight... :?