Subjugation, chapter 18 - Spoilers

Mizriath
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Re: Subjugation, chapter 18 - Spoilers

Post by Mizriath »

Fel wrote:hush, you'll spoil it. ;)

Teryons are multidimensional energy units, reaching into multiple quantum states. They exist everywhere and in every state in equal capacity. I think that qualifies as a type of energy shield that can oppose an MPAC, because an MPAC projectile doesn't have any quantum states that are unopposed by the shield.

It'll still pack one hell of a punch, though. Stopping a metaphased energy weapon takes a tremendous amount of power, cause your shield generator has to power spike across a vast spectrum. That's a serious power drain.

So yes, the Scimitar's shields can't be penetrated by any weapon that is usually shield piercing, but stopping a shield-piercing weapon isn't something a shield can do all day. Even a teryon shield won't stand up to major punishment for long (the Karinnes were still in what you might call the first stages of teryon shield research). It'll overheat and go down very quickly.

It's not the shields that are gonna give Trillane fits, though...it's the armor. ;)

Compressed Neutronium Armor is crystallized neutronium (neutronium whose molecular structure is altered into a diamond-like tetrahedral crystalline form) that is exposed to a singularity, a miniature black hole. This exposure crushes it, reducing its volume by 65%, and completely closing any molecular anomolies that a weapon might exploit to breach the armor. It's like a hull made of something so hard that diamonds would shatter against it like glass.

This tempering process creates metal that retains the same mass, and is virtually indestructible. It also cannot be bent, changed, or otherwise altered, so the armor has to be pre-cast in an expanded (ballooned) form, shrunk down, and then fitted into place. So, some very exacting precision is required, and even this isn't enough to make this technology totally reliable. The failure rate in the crushing process is 30% due to the Heisenburg Principle, which states that it is impossible to predict the exact location of an atom at a particular instant in time. If too many atoms are out of place when the exposure begins, the neutronium doesn't crush uniformly, and the armor piece is ruined. This margin of error makes the crush unreliable, and creates quite a few failures. The Karinnes tried to reduce this problem as much as they could by supercooling the armor pieces before crushing to reduce molecular vibration, but even the Karinnes couldn't get something to absolute zero (the point where all molecular vibration stops, which would eliminate the Heisenburg Principle from the equation) and keep it there long enough to get that ultra-cold armor into the singularity compressor.

And DON'T pick this apart. Yah, I know you guys can probably throw a slough of "what ifs" at this, but this is SCIENCE FICTION, damn you, you nitpickers! It works that way cause I say so, and THIS IS MY SAND BOX!
LOL. I don't dare disturb your SANDBOX Fel. Its fiction twisted with truth. I can only add on to the Sandbox. And twist it too.

I only can imagined the shellshocked Trillane shooting pop gun at an "Abrams".
The sea flows as long as Earth exist, Love is alive as long as people exist. I will read Fel's stories as long as my heart still beats.
Fel
Weavespinner

Post by Fel »

Singularity Power Plants are teryon-based power units that use a floating hyperspace breach and a quantum singularity to produce two types of power; teryons and plasma, which is then dual metaphased to serve as the basic power source for most Karinne technology. Teryon-based devices are massive in scale and are limited to things like starship engines, jump engines, shields, and heavy weapons. Two of these plants power the engines and shield, the remaining one powers everything else.

Remember, the Karinnes didn't have the same advancements in spatial warping technology as the Imperium; they advanced in a different direction. Yes, they knew how to do it, but they decided to pursue different lines of scientific research. So their spatial technologies are actually not as advanced as the modern Imperium. They didn't develop PPGs because they never bothered to advance miniaturized spatial technologies. Their spatial tech on a large scale is about equal to the modern Imperium, but you'll find no very small Karinne devices that warp space except for engines, and they do it very differently than Imperium-built engines do.

Do they use "plasma batteries" instead of a PPG? Yep, they do, with a special reclamation unit installed that allows it to cycle plasma in an endless loop with minimal overall energy loss. It takes a couple of years until the unit's power level decays to where it has to be recharged or replaced. As long as the system remains closed, a Karinne power cell can last for a good 2-3 years. Cells that aren't in active use have a life span based on the durability of the materials it's made of (in other words, thousands of years).

And THAT is why they use dual metaphased plasma. That's the advantage it brings, its ability to recycle with minimal energy loss. The main reason they developed it was to extend the life of their power cells.

But, all things being equal, the PPG is actually the better small-scale power unit. Jason might be wise to get together with Myleena and work out a way to convert Karinne technology to use a PPG.
Just another guy from the shallow end of the gene pool.
Mizriath
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Post by Mizriath »

Fel wrote:But, all things being equal, the PPG is actually the better small-scale power unit. Jason might be wise to get together with Myleena and work out a way to convert Karinne technology to use a PPG.
Hmm, Fel you recommend that it would be wise for Jason and Myleena to..... I thought you will be definitely pushing for Jason to definitely harnessed all his intelligence of Faey and Karinne tech to advance the Terrans cause for a better standing in the Imperium.

You may have revealed the plot on how Jason is going to sway the Empress. Knowing that the empress already have a soft spot for Jason. I wonder how the empress will turn out? Royal / Regal / so far an obnoxious creature is far from mind. BUT what is planned is alwyas not what will happen!! Like you say Intelligence does not equal wisdom. What is planned does not equal reality. What you is not what you get.

Miz
The sea flows as long as Earth exist, Love is alive as long as people exist. I will read Fel's stories as long as my heart still beats.
Phantom
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Post by Phantom »

Mizriath wrote:
Fel wrote:But, all things being equal, the PPG is actually the better small-scale power unit. Jason might be wise to get together with Myleena and work out a way to convert Karinne technology to use a PPG.
Hmm, Fel you recommend that it would be wise for Jason and Myleena to..... I thought you will be definitely pushing for Jason to definitely harnessed all his intelligence of Faey and Karinne tech to advance the Terrans cause for a better standing in the Imperium.

You may have revealed the plot on how Jason is going to sway the Empress. Knowing that the empress already have a soft spot for Jason. I wonder how the empress will turn out? Royal / Regal / so far an obnoxious creature is far from mind. BUT what is planned is alwyas not what will happen!! Like you say Intelligence does not equal wisdom. What is planned does not equal reality. What you is not what you get.

Miz
I wonder if the Empress also carrys some Family Guilt in what her House Did to House Karinnes in the last war.

It could be that She will feel the need to atone some for her House's Roll in that destruction of what was basicly a nutral house much like the Faey medical branch.....and wasn't the medical branch closely partnered to House Karinne on the research side anyways ?

should be interesting watching Jason explain to Jyslin that she married a Grand Duke of the House of Karinne. and the Legion wooo when they get a look at whats comming to help them....... Once again Fel's Talked about the Mech Hehehe. Jason can pilot it now too .....I wondered how they would hold off House Tirllane long enough to get the Legion on board the Scout but i can see that Gladiator playing a role in that now.
She helped him shape his idea into a workable plan that would cover all of his objectives and keep Karis and the secrets of the Karinnes out of the hands of the Imperium. It would require a little revelation to the Imperium, to instill the necessary fear into the Siann not to mess with Jason, just as they feared the original Karinnes. That fear was necessary. If the Siann did not fear Jason, they would not take him seriously, and they would do what they could to sabotage him. That was why Miaari had guided him into his war…so the Faey would know him, and respect his ability. Zaa’s suggestions expanded on what Miaari began.
Jason should carry a bag of Marbles with him everywhere he goes.

He He He and just think what a disturbance it will cause when Jason Show up in front of Empress and the Siann with a Kimdori Handmaiden at his side.
And once again fel tells us
And they were done. She had nothing more to teach him, nothing more to discuss with him. She ended their sharing by professing her admiration for him, and her stalwart promise that the Kimdori would always be there when he needed them. She told him that what began as a repayment for saving the Kimdori race had become a willing partnership, an extension of family. The Karinnes and the Kimdori were more than allies. They were cousins, family, and the Kimdori never abandoned family. Zaa held up their clasped hands, and then let go. He withdrew his hand, feeling their sharing end, and he felt strangely wistful. Zaa was an incredibly wise Kimdori, and being joined to her mind that way was like sitting at the feet of a master. “I see that your Karinne heritage has held true through all your family’s generations of human breeding,” she told him. “Sharing with you took no effort at all.”
“I can’t thank you enough, Denmother,” he said humbly, bowing before her with utter sincerity. “What you’ve taught me today could mean everything.”
“I hope it serves you well, your Grace,” she told him. “For seeing you survive and thrive very much matters to us. And not just for what we gain from the old partnership. We care about you, very much. I care about you, Jason. The doors of the Hearth will never be closed before you. You are always welcome in my presence.”
Now this is fun to think of the possibilities ....1. we know Kimdori never break their word or promises. 2. Most Faey Trust and Fear the Kimdori. 3. The Faey seem to know the One thing you don't want to do is Piss off the Kimdori.....they may not know why but I got the feeling it's something all Faey understand.
Think about it If you were trying to shoot and kill Jason and suddenly a lot of Kimdori Circled around him like a living shield (even if they were unarmed and Non threatening ) I ask you Who would chance that they might become the Sudden Focus of all the Kimdori if they were to harm a kimdori or someone under their protection? or at the very least have any and all Kimdori help and support they may or wish to enjoy in the future Suddenly Withdrawn Immediately and permanently. <shivers at just the thought> I really think most Faey would rather face The Skaa unarmed and Naked then get on the Kimdori's bad side .
The only thing they’ll ever see of the Karinnes is this ship. I won’t even let anyone wear an interface or gestalt off this planet or out of this ship. When we leave the ship, they stay behind.”
“Why?”
“Because I don’t want the Imperium to even think that they’re anything other than what the old stories say they were, simple jewelry. And it’ll discourage any kind of temptation,” he added.
I assume this rule doesn't apply to Jason as he will need his gestalt and his ring to prove his claim right?

Also won't the Faey Expect Myleena (I know she won't be known at first ) and the Rest of the house of Karinne Nobles be kind of expected to Wear them like they did in the old days ? at least once they are Shown to now be House Karinne Nobels ?

Damn Now it's getting Harder to wait on the next chapter ......F'lin Addiction any ways.....I'm going to have to get the damn Tin Foil out once again.

Phantom
And in the fury of this darkest hour
I will be your light
A lifetime for this destiny
For I am Winter born
And in this moment..I will not run
It is my place to stand
We few shall carry hope
Within our bloodied hands
(bloodied hands)
And in our Dying, we're more alive-than we have ever been
I've lived for these few seconds
For I am Winter born
The CruxShadows "Winterborn" (This Sacrifice)
Metatrone
Sui'Kun

Post by Metatrone »

Yeah, If Jason wants the Siann scared he must be wearing a gestalt, it would immediately say what he is and what he wants.

I'm more concerned about the food/gold replicators though. I wonder will he give Marenne the replicator of just the food? Because the sudden introduction of such a device and to only one house would be the most cruel thing he can do the Faye. It would destroy their economy. Food is vital and scarce commodity the production of which requires significant capital, resources and labor. If you do that to our economy...well I don't want to think about it... And I don't really want to start of gold replication.
Belgarion213
Da'Shar

Post by Belgarion213 »

I don't think they could replicate gold, however Silver can be replicated according to the chapter.

As for the replicators I think it would be unwise to hand the replicators over to one house. It would give the holder of the patent and resourse and immense financial advantage. I think tit would be more interesting if Jason basiclly negoiated with the emperesss to go halfes on the patent or something. Remember he needs a bountiful cash supply and needs to be seen to get his money from somewhere, the patent of that thing could be an immense source of wealth
Metatrone
Sui'Kun

Post by Metatrone »

I think it would be better if Jason managed the production on Earth, and that he gets the average production cost of the food at the market and the house gets the profit margin.
Phantom
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Post by Phantom »

Belgarion213 wrote:I don't think they could replicate gold, however Silver can be replicated according to the chapter.
Fel wrote:I said LIKE GOLD. ;)

Silver is also a precious metal. Faey replication technology can only replicate up to Palladium. Guess I shoulda just said "they can replicate silver" instead of being vague. ;P
As for the replicators I think it would be unwise to hand the replicators over to one house. It would give the holder of the patent and resourse and immense financial advantage. I think tit would be more interesting if Jason basiclly negoiated with the emperesss to go halfes on the patent or something. Remember he needs a bountiful cash supply and needs to be seen to get his money from somewhere, the patent of that thing could be an immense source of wealth
As you can see from the Quote ...Gold isn't one ...but Silver is

Now the funny thought that came to mind here is:... If you have to pay royalties to the Patent holder for using this tech .....
Do you just replicate whatever amount of silver you need to pay it ? <grin>

I could see this destabilizing Silvers Value on the Faey market very very quickly.

Phantom
I will be your light
For I am Winter born
It is my place to stand
We few shall carry hope
(bloodied hands)
For I am Winter born
Phantom
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Post by Phantom »

Metatrone wrote:I think it would be better if Jason managed the production on Earth, and that he gets the average production cost of the food at the market and the house gets the profit margin.
This was my thought as well.

If jason can replicate Food then he could do so on Earth and meet his quota's

But i understand this is the Carrot jason will use to get the Empress to Slap House Trillane Down Hard!.

And she will also be willing to Station Imperial Marines on Earth to make sure House Trillane doesn't cause Jason any problems there either.

Phantom
I will be your light
For I am Winter born
It is my place to stand
We few shall carry hope
(bloodied hands)
For I am Winter born
Fiferguy
Cloudy, 12C, to -2C o/n with a chance of scattered postings

Post by Fiferguy »

Phantom wrote:
Metatrone wrote:I think it would be better if Jason managed the production on Earth, and that he gets the average production cost of the food at the market and the house gets the profit margin.
This was my thought as well.

If jason can replicate Food then he could do so on Earth and meet his quota's

But i understand this is the Carrot jason will use to get the Empress to Slap House Trillane Down Hard!.

And she will also be willing to Station Imperial Marines on Earth to make sure House Trillane doesn't cause Jason any problems there either.

Phantom
But Jason has neither the resources nor the manpower to move all that food, supervise the farms, and just have general crowd control. He HAS to have outside help, and using another House's leased resources to move the food is the best idea. If he doesn't, he'll not meet the quota, and the Empress will give it right back to Trillane. By using the Imperial Marines only, he can keep the leased house inline and keep them from doing the kinds of things that Trillane is...

I just wonder what the "worse" things are that Zaa was talking about...
J-Man5
Mi'Shara

Post by J-Man5 »

J-Man5 wrote:
That seemed to amuse Cybi. [Be patient, your Grace. Leadership is a learned skill more than it is a natural quality.]
Now that Jason is being helped by the DenMother who is definitely a Leader he can be taught the same way as he has been for other things like how to pilot a Mech. The DenMother can teach him politics and Leadership by sharing the knowledge. That should make him effective faster. And help him make more use out of the Charter.

J-Man5
Called it!!!

J-Man5
Fiferguy

Post by Fiferguy »

Yeah...Yeah... You want a cookie? :wink:
Phantom
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Post by Phantom »

Fiferguy wrote:Yeah...Yeah... You want a cookie? :wink:
Hey you keep GIVING those away we'll fall behind on our Quota 8)

Phantom
I will be your light
For I am Winter born
It is my place to stand
We few shall carry hope
(bloodied hands)
For I am Winter born
Fiferguy

Post by Fiferguy »

Eh... He still has to solve The Riddle first... you know only a handful have ever solved The Riddle... I think there are only four of us left, after all...
ANTIcarrot
Sui'Kun

Post by ANTIcarrot »

Hearly wrote:Good Question Fiferguy, I just can't see Trillane just standing there while Jason evacuates all the people from the mountain
Though there might still be a significant time lag between shooting at a target (on the ground from space) and hitting it.

Consider that an MPAC round effectively 'detonates' (in its own way) as soon as it hits a solid target. This seems the rule, and beyond varying the definition of 'solid' there seems no way to give them a smart fuse capacity - like some bombs will detonate after punching through a predetermined number of floors of a building for example.

If that's true then there's a limit to how fast the rounds can be 'thrown' from space before the atmosphere becomes as apparently solid as the ground. This means an artillery like pause of half a minute, or moving your ship until it's right over the target to shoot straight down, or both.

Either case the ability to dodge is probably as important as armor is.

And point of note, the exploration ship carries nothing *intended* as a weapon. Wise and knowledgeable readers might be familiar with the Lying Bastard of Ringworld fame. I seem to recall something or other about old Faey ships using mass drivers to shoot off probes at high speed...