Humans, a genetic threat?

Astardis
Initiate

Humans, a genetic threat?

Post by Astardis »

Hello everbody,

this topic has nothing to do with the clandestine war Jason is fighting at the moment. It has to do with something I thought about while reading the story and the information on the board.

Fel stated that the telepathic ability was introduced into the humans by several hundreds of faey who stranded or went into exil on earth. There they had offspring with humans and those are the ones that have the latent ability now during the subjugation.

What boggles me is, that there seems to be no external signs of faey ancestry in the human race. If the faey had mixed offspring and the telepathy went into the human genome why not the skin colour, the pointed ears or the strange hair colours?

During the centuries, there should have been children born with unexplained anomalies like the ears or colours but after the faey landed on earth, people should have recogniced those anomalies and what they mean.

It seems to me, that there can only be two possibilities. First, all the external attributes of the faey are, compared to the humans, recessive which means interracial (interspecies?) children always get the human characteristics. If that is the case, the humans pose an incredible threat to the faey as a unique species. Over the next centuries/millenia the faey characteristics might become extict. I do not know how the faey would react, if they realize what is bound to happen when they mix with humans under those circumstances.

The second possibility is, that the faey who came to earth, used their advanced medical knowledge to manipulate their genes so that their offspring can live a normal life under the humans. That might explain, why the telepathic ability went dormant in the humans, because the modified genes interfered with the telepathic ones.
If this is the case, I am quite interested how a natural child of a faey and human will look like. :)

P.S.: Why is the faey society dominated by females?
Lets see how productive you are, with a lifelong case of 'blue-balls'.
(Sorry for that, couldn't resist 8) )
Hearly
Speed Racer!

Re: Humans, a genetic threat?

Post by Hearly »

I'd be more likely to consider, once the orignal Faey Died out, There offspring a few generations removed, anyone who was "different" was probably killed off by other Humans thinking that they were the "devil" or evil, hence only ones who Looked truely Human continued to live, while the Mutations were killed off..
Lochar
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Post by Lochar »

Either that or the Faey genes are at best codominate. And after a few generations with all the pureblood faey dead, a 1/8th or 1/16th Faey wouldn't have very many traits left. Maybe a slight tint to the skin or slightly sharper ears.

Give it a few more generations and you'd only have a single codominate gene in an offspring, so it'd be something so small it wouldn't be noticable anymore.
Ignorance is bliss, knowledge is power. Are the powerful very unhappy?

Support my brother.
http://www.justiceformichael.com
codewarrior
Sorcerer

Post by codewarrior »

Well I remeber reading that there was a theory about the Plague and how people with O type blood were not affected by it and even though it is a recessive genetic trait it is still fairly common blood type to have. So in this case like Hearly was saying may Faey offspring were probably killed off because they were different. But that does not mean that the genetic traits of the The Faey are not the dominate ones. If any thing it is more likely that anyone with dominate Faey genes ( such as pointy ears) was probably killed off, so only the ones without that gene continued to live.
Metatrone
Sui'Kun

Post by Metatrone »

Yeh, alright they could have killed off ones with dominant traits, but then the question should be how did they manage to breed themselves with humans for several generations?

I mean blue skin is a tiny bit obvious trait to be overlooked in human society. Besides if they are genetically compatible with humans then the way their recessive and dominant traits are form should be the same as it is for humans, since they are determined by genes. So no matter if blue skin is recessive or dominant it can't be lost over one generation since it is incomplete dominance. I suppose Faye have a third type of melanin because humans have only red and brown-black. Blond hair (common for the Faye) is a recessive trait and I suppose it could be lost that quickly.

BTW it is supposed to originate from a period in human history when there was a male deficit in the north of Europe so women developed it as means to attract attention. (Nicely done homework Fel, it fits perfectly)

And the ears would be even harder...I vote for them genetically modifying themselves it's more plausible.
Fel
Weavespinner

Post by Fel »

It was never an issue.

Almost all products of a human-Faey pairing appear completely human. Human genes dealing with appearance are generally dominant over Faey genes. The blue skin and pointed ears are recessive genes, and only appear when both parents carry the genes for them. None of these children had blue skin, but a few did have pointed ears or unusual eye/hair color, and almost all of them inherited at least a portion of their Faey parent's beauty. And those traits themselves were buried after a couple of generations, leaving behind descendents whose only link to their heritage were recessed genes and a more handsome base appearance.

The Faey that came to earth died out in the Black Death. Their colony lasted for nearly 200 years, but Faey had absolutely no defense against the plague, and were wiped out by it. The only survivors were the human-Faey descendents, and they forgot their alien ancestry over only a couple of generations.
Just another guy from the shallow end of the gene pool.
Mizriath
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Post by Mizriath »

Black Death

That is something that has yet to come out or I has completely missed it. Maybe its part of the natural history.
The sea flows as long as Earth exist, Love is alive as long as people exist. I will read Fel's stories as long as my heart still beats.
miraborn
Da'Shar

Post by miraborn »

Black Death:
The Black Death, also known as the Black Plague, was a devastating pandemic that first struck Europe in the mid-late-14th century (1347–1350), killing between a third and two-thirds of Europe's population.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_death
Phantom
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Post by Phantom »

Fel wrote:It was never an issue.

Almost all products of a human-Faey pairing appear completely human. Human genes dealing with appearance are generally dominant over Faey genes. The blue skin and pointed ears are recessive genes, and only appear when both parents carry the genes for them. None of these children had blue skin, but a few did have pointed ears or unusual eye/hair color, and almost all of them inherited at least a portion of their Faey parent's beauty. And those traits themselves were buried after a couple of generations, leaving behind descendents whose only link to their heritage were recessed genes and a more handsome base appearance.

The Faey that came to earth died out in the Black Death. Their colony lasted for nearly 200 years, but Faey had absolutely no defense against the plague, and were wiped out by it. The only survivors were the human-Faey descendents, and they forgot their alien ancestry over only a couple of generations.
And I for one am still waiting to find out What Traits The Human Side added to the Mix Vs the Faey side traits such as the Telepathic gene.

<smirk>

Phantom
And in the fury of this darkest hour
I will be your light
A lifetime for this destiny
For I am Winter born
And in this moment..I will not run
It is my place to stand
We few shall carry hope
Within our bloodied hands
(bloodied hands)
And in our Dying, we're more alive-than we have ever been
I've lived for these few seconds
For I am Winter born
The CruxShadows "Winterborn" (This Sacrifice)
Fiferguy
Cloudy, 12C, to -2C o/n with a chance of scattered postings

Post by Fiferguy »

Mizriath wrote:Black Death

That is something that has yet to come out or I has completely missed it. Maybe its part of the natural history.
It's just another name for a massive outbreaking of Bubonic Plague that spread across Europe around 1350 AD. Killed millions of people, and was caused basically by the sanitation practices of the time. The dirtiness of Europe that the time caused a large population of rats to breed, and the rats carried fleas, and the fleas carried the plague.
Astardis
Initiate

Post by Astardis »

Almost all products of a human-Faey pairing appear completely human. Human genes dealing with appearance are generally dominant over Faey genes.
So, that is clear now, but how will the faey deal with that? I mean, it is quite differend if you are in exil on earth and your children are looking like the native species or that you are a conquerer and all your mixed children look like the conquered race.

Is the faey society liberal enough (or doesn't care enough) or will there be problems in the future?
Mizriath
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Post by Mizriath »

Thnaks guy for the explanation on Black Death. Well appreciated. At least clear some doubts as to the disappearance of the pure bred Faey lines on Earth.

I am wondering the power of Jason's telepathic abilities and his thinking prowess. This comes from house Karinne and could be a culmination of all the scientists, philosophers and their telepathic powers which combines with Kimdori's super telepathic ability = super Jason. However, currently, he is not shown to be more powerful than Jsylin but I expect it to come out later, maybe in book2, the revelation of his powers, awakening of it by the Kimdori, or some way by a scientific experiment etc and his aikido training which will enable to fight telepathically further than any known Faey. The Faey traits will control the mental faculty while human traits will control external features and physical ability, a dangerous combination.

I presume the sister will be the Myleena, as they share the same intelligence for technologies. But she without the human combi genes will be slightly inferior. Hey humans should be attribute for the chaos intelligence.
The sea flows as long as Earth exist, Love is alive as long as people exist. I will read Fel's stories as long as my heart still beats.