[Spoiler] New girl on the block = ...?

Peter_Koopman
Initiate

[Spoiler] New girl on the block = ...?

Post by Peter_Koopman »

New girl on the block = Jason's sister?
Fel wrote:She's a Merrane; and no, she's not the Empress, so don't go there. She's just one of the tens of thousands of Merrane nobles, a minor noble in title only that works for the Imperial government, but she's unique the same way Jason is. She's one of the last descendants of the Karinne nobles.
Makes sense, doesn't it? She's just as smart as Jason is, so in some way unique as Jason is. A minor noble of house Merrane. In title only.

She is send to stop him, so the sword thing could be a sword of Damocles hanging over his head until they meet and sense who they both are and the sword will turn into an weapon against Jason's enemies. The sword would be ofcource her razor sharp wits.

I think it all fits ... :D
"Fear is the main source of superstition, and one of the main sources of cruelty.
To conquer fear is the beginning of wisdom."
dadrago
Novice

Re: [Spoiler] New girl on the block = ...?

Post by dadrago »

I second this, the fact that she contacted Jason first and not the other way around makes it interesting. and that she's now pissed that her 'reputation' and the 'squads' reputation is now hurting i think this brings in more ammo when the find out that they share a very distant relation.

but that's all speculation, so please if i hit the nail on the head this time please don't change it.

btw -- fel, i'd like to see your outline on how all this fits together. i realize that Jason is trying to have Trillane house kicked off Earth, but with seeing that Orbital one was taken out for possibly a week if not longer. that causes a major disruption in moving the farm produce off world.

wouldn't that have to make the empress step in and take on a more active role in this ? or since she had 'sent' the black ops people that's all that she's going to do ? and if and or when Jason and Myeena finally meet face to face will there be that recognition thing that Jason has with the Kimdori ?

later,
Drago
Hearly
Speed Racer!

Post by Hearly »

I think the Kimdori, are going to have to at least point Jason to the fact that he got his talent because of faey in the past came to Earth, I'm not sure how he could tie himself to the house without a bit more of a nudge..

Yes he knows he has Talent because of his Ancestors, but I'm not sure how he can use that to know that there is a Faey in his history..
Fiferguy
Cloudy, 12C, to -2C o/n with a chance of scattered postings

Post by Fiferguy »

I just wonder if there are records other than the Kimdori that might be able to prove that Jason is a Karinne noble? If he could discover that, it would give him something of a position, albeit still a weak one, to speak with the Empress. Perhaps that could even be the basis of the new house... Just an idea though... Fel loves to surprise us... :twisted:
SYED
Child of Niami

Post by SYED »

nobles are all about blood, who related to who. there is probally a registry. accidently got compared to it. also if he forces nobles to loses thier status can he not claim thier stuff as a rite of conuest
..oh idea, vul tech goes into shiiping as some miraculus new system of theirs lets them get vthrough safely but then pirates show up and take the cargo.paid to ship, cargo to sell and they gett access to the sites
..oh also is tim and jason and that girl that got captured are the known telepaths, who are the other two of the five known telepaths
..ooh idea he uses foating weapon to get near thing, seed space with hackers or just the vibrators or just junk so the faey are forced to clear ewverything and deal with all their gear getting tagged with somthing to control or take it out
.S.A.M.K.M
Phantom
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Post by Phantom »

Hearly wrote:I think the Kimdori, are going to have to at least point Jason to the fact that he got his talent because of faey in the past came to Earth, I'm not sure how he could tie himself to the house without a bit more of a nudge..

Yes he knows he has Talent because of his Ancestors, but I'm not sure how he can use that to know that there is a Faey in his history..
The DNA should tell the Tale ......and Since there are Faey with him that Know at least a bit of his Familys history i'm sure one of them will be able to put 2+2 and make 4.....

Phantom
And in the fury of this darkest hour
I will be your light
A lifetime for this destiny
For I am Winter born
And in this moment..I will not run
It is my place to stand
We few shall carry hope
Within our bloodied hands
(bloodied hands)
And in our Dying, we're more alive-than we have ever been
I've lived for these few seconds
For I am Winter born
The CruxShadows "Winterborn" (This Sacrifice)
Phantom
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Post by Phantom »

SYED wrote:nobles are all about blood, who related to who. there is probally a registry. accidently got compared to it. also if he forces nobles to loses thier status can he not claim thier stuff as a rite of conuest
..oh idea, vul tech goes into shiiping as some miraculus new system of theirs lets them get vthrough safely but then pirates show up and take the cargo.paid to ship, cargo to sell and they gett access to the sites
..oh also is tim and jason and that girl that got captured are the known telepaths, who are the other two of the five known telepaths
..ooh idea he uses foating weapon to get near thing, seed space with hackers or just the vibrators or just junk so the faey are forced to clear ewverything and deal with all their gear getting tagged with somthing to control or take it out
And there is the MAIN problem if he does it leads Smack into Conflict with the Empress. as her house Absorbed most of the remaiming assets from House Karinne.

Also actively Attacking the warships in orbit ( While i'd love to see Jason use something like Stealth rings to sneak up and attach them selfs to some of the Ships patroling Earth ) Would allso put jason inconflict with the Empress.

the vul tech Idea while having some merit .....it would cause way TOO MUCH attention to Jasons Group. attention they need to avoid

I mean if he really wanted to End this quick ...sending one of his Vibrating Rings to remove the Gate would all but Cripple shipping (except for those lage enough or expensive enough to have jump engines )

Phantom
And in the fury of this darkest hour
I will be your light
A lifetime for this destiny
For I am Winter born
And in this moment..I will not run
It is my place to stand
We few shall carry hope
Within our bloodied hands
(bloodied hands)
And in our Dying, we're more alive-than we have ever been
I've lived for these few seconds
For I am Winter born
The CruxShadows "Winterborn" (This Sacrifice)
ANTIcarrot
Sui'Kun

Post by ANTIcarrot »

Also actively Attacking the warships in orbit ( While i'd love to see Jason use something like Stealth rings to sneak up and attach them selfs to some of the Ships patroling Earth ) Would allso put jason inconflict with the Empress.
Wasn't the same thing said a few months back about putting the main space station out of commission?

One thing skipped over very quickly was casualties from the marble weapons. AKA: The self regenerating claymore mine. The 'poor innocent service fae' who 'selflessly gave their lives in the attack' (according to INN no doubt) would put pressure on the Empress to take some kind of action.
Fel
Weavespinner

Post by Fel »

yah, this is actually a point that surfaces in the next chapter. The marbles worked TOO well, and now Trillane is on the warpath in a major way. Even though they took Jason's activities seriously, they didn't throw everything into stopping him before, because that kind of operation costs a lot of money, and they didn't see him as a threat big enough for that kind of expenditure.

Well, they do now.

They brought in a few hundred thousand more troops, there's an entire squadron of Trillane battle cruisers in orbit instead of the usual 2 battleships, and so far they basicly burned the Appalachain forests to the ground, because they believe that the rebels are hiding in the preserve. Things have become very serious, so serious that Jason's people can really just hide in Cheyenne Mountain and wait for things to calm down enough to come out.

As to the "how do they piece it together," that's coming very soon. Probably in this chapter, because in this chapter, Jason gets sick. Very sick. Finding the cause of his illness, and finding the cure, starts them down the path of discovery.
Just another guy from the shallow end of the gene pool.
Fiferguy

Post by Fiferguy »

Why, oh why do you tease us so?
ANTIcarrot
Sui'Kun

Post by ANTIcarrot »

Fel wrote: The marbles worked TOO well, and now Trillane is on the warpath in a major way.
It's kinda their fault though really. As soon as the staff was evacuated they should have turn the containment field off to try and blow whatever it is out into space. Perfectly sensible standard action in the event of fire, invasion, or death marbles from hell. ;)
miraborn
Da'Shar

Post by miraborn »

One nagging question I've had is: What happens to all those "marbles" that escaped from the station?" I can see a few of those causing problems for orbital operations or showing up some time down the road when we least expect it. They are so small that I doubt sensors would be able to track them in orbital space.

My $0.02.

---

Do we have a timeframe for the next chapter yet?
Fiferguy

Post by Fiferguy »

I would imagine that they'll just keep going until they get sucked in by something's gravity. They'll probably just burn up in the atmosphere of whatever body they hit...or simply be drawn toward the sun and melt there.
Fel
Weavespinner

Post by Fel »

Wrong. ;)

The balls accelerate if they don't hit anything, but they also work on the ambient magenetic forces present in the area. In space, the only source of electromagnetic force for them to use is the solar wind, which is itself moving. They will use the solar wind to try to accelerate, but the mass of the balls compared to the solar wind basicly becomes a zero sum equation. They will speed up a little, but when they reach a certain speed, the mass of the ball will balance the force it exerts to try to accelerate, and it will attain a constant speed. Once they reach that speed, they'll move at it until some other force acts on them and makes a change.

Inside the bay, they gained speed very fast because of all the very high-concentration magnetic forces at work inside the station, as well as the metals themselves, which "pulled" the plasma magnets inside the balls towards them. Out in space, they don't have nearly as much to work with, so changes in their velocity will be very slow.

The balls would not burn up in an atmosphere, because of their armored shells. They'd impact the planet. They'd be destroyed in that impact, but it would be quite a show. ;)
Just another guy from the shallow end of the gene pool.
Fiferguy

Post by Fiferguy »

Eh.. oh so not a physics major... :D It makes sense though. But my question is this, isn't gravity stronger than the magnetic forces? I know as long as they have escape velocity, Earth wouldn't have pulled them in unless they came in at the right angle, but if they got close to a larger body, like Sol or a black hole, wouldn't the magnetic force not be enough to counter the pull of gravity? Just curious.