Bud(d)y love

Calimbor
Novice

Bud(d)y love

Post by Calimbor »

Its properly nothing, but this question has been nagging me.

Seeing as Faey are so willing to "spread the love" aren't they affraid to get pregnent with the wrong "spouse" or is this another point were faey and human custom differs. - Or is such a thing impossible with technology....such as abortion or preconception (condoms etc.)

It might have been mentioned before, but I can't seem to recall it.
MommyDoom
Keeper of the Spoon of Doom

Re: Bud(d)y love

Post by MommyDoom »

Calimbor wrote:Its properly nothing, but this question has been nagging me.

Seeing as Faey are so willing to "spread the love" aren't they affraid to get pregnent with the wrong "spouse" or is this another point were faey and human custom differs. - Or is such a thing impossible with technology....such as abortion or preconception (condoms etc.)

It might have been mentioned before, but I can't seem to recall it.
Ooooo! Good question!!

MD
Blood begets more blood as dog begets dog.
Death generates death as the vulture breeds the vulture.
But the voice I heard today said, "Love your neighbor. Do good to those who despitefully use you".
- From the movie, "Ben Hur"
Fel
Weavespinner

Post by Fel »

Ah, this question.

Well, to put it simply, it's cultural. Faey culture doesn't assign as much importance on who the father is as it does about the pregnancy in the first place. The father is the one who helps raise the baby, not who sires it. Men don't really worry too much about who sired a baby, but don't ever think that they're not involved. Men actually have more parental rights in Faey society than the women do. A father's worth isn't his genes, it's his ability to parent.

But that's not to say that a baby isn't the child of her father...the large majority of the time, a baby's father is the husband/steady of the mother. This is due not to culture, but biology, which will be explained shortly.

Nobles, on the other hand, are very specific about lineage and breeding, but this too is where there's a very small but pronounced difference between humans and Faey.

There are hormonal changes that happen in a female before she comes into a fertility cycle. It's this way with the fictional Faey, but it does also happen to be true about human females. Go read about it...the changes in behavior are very subtle, but they're there, and they're based on hormone shifts in a woman's biochemistry. Faey have a similar phase, but the main difference here is that this change in biochemistry is pronounced enough that a Faey woman will take notice of it. Once she's aware that she's coming into a window of fertility, she will take whatever steps or precautions she desires about the fact, either curtailing her activity or focusing on a particular male she wants to make her pregnant.

This is why the majority of babies born to a Faey couple are sired by the male parent. Most women, when coming into this phase, will naturally focus on their pair-bonded mate, over and above other males. It's Faey instinct and biology. Noble females, who are required to mother children sired only by their husbands, make this strict custom in addition to natural tendency. A Faey noble can be as promiscuous as she wants to be, but when she feels her time coming, all play stops.
Just another guy from the shallow end of the gene pool.
montie1123
Sorcerer

Post by montie1123 »

Sigh just another topic i have to try and get my head around. From my stand point as if this was happing to me ( hay i like to put my self in male main char roles to let my mind and imagintation run free), be that as it may to me i cant get around female feay being much more then a Bulle dyke (sorry no other way to tearm it =/) it would be like dating another man but with a womans body. Looks are great but if the personality clash to much it just dont work. All in all another great chapter keep it up.