Would You be happy Under the Subjugation?

Hearly
Speed Racer!

Would You be happy Under the Subjugation?

Post by Hearly »

If the Subjugation happened in RL, would you be Happy about it?

Me Personally, I think I would do well, At least a Tech position, Could I live in a world like that? Well if you think about it, We already do live in a "ruled" world, At least the Faey System Looks more Fair overall than what we have Currently....

Now would I take up arms against it? It really depends, I mean removing 1 house to have it replaced with another who would treat humans a bit better "maybe" doesn't seem like a really good overall goal, as tossing off 1 bad ruler to maybe replace it with another (that actually might be worse) doesn't really inspire confidence, Also after we toss off that one house, what happens to everyone who fought them when the new house came in, I mean ya they might be better, and even if they were, whats the first thing they'd do but remove the ability of Humans to overthrow them...
zedd
Sui'Kun

Re: Would You be happy Under the Subjugation?

Post by zedd »

yes, i think i'd be happy. maybe get work off planet. maybe report the local house abuse (remember that they are breaking all sort of laws. With his resources, Jason could get prooves of those violation and send them to the press and the imperial government)
Astardis
Initiate

Post by Astardis »

uhm ... no, I probably would not like it under the subjugation. I am in europe, studying english and political sience to be a school teacher. Under the subjugation there would be no political lessons and foreign languages would be pointless too. First, most of the farm working people do not need a foreign language, and if it becomes necessary, a faey can insert the language in a few seconds.

So I figure, I would end on a farm ... :?
Lochar
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Post by Lochar »

My mind would probably be to chaotic to read, so I'd at least have a chance to take one of them with me.
Ignorance is bliss, knowledge is power. Are the powerful very unhappy?

Support my brother.
http://www.justiceformichael.com
ANTIcarrot
Sui'Kun

Post by ANTIcarrot »

Depends on what that world would be like. Thirteen chapters in there is still a lot we don't know about Jason't Earth or Jyslin's Imperium.

On the whole though, probably not. By all accounts the Faey would deliberately exterminate every lion and elephant in Africa to protect their farms there. I wouldn't want to live in a nation ran by such people. Or peopled by those too... incapable of leashing them in.

ANTIcarrot
PS: And I'd probably join Adstaris on the farm too. ;)
Fel
Weavespinner

Post by Fel »

You'll learn much more about the Imperium in the next few chapters, as Jason comes to understand how it works and what it does. It's basicly two systems: there's the Imperial system, which is about law and order, and then there's the House system, which is about exploiting all resources to the extent they can get away with under Imperial supervision for their own gain.

The Faey wouldn't exterminate all the animals, that's what preserves are for...just like the one Jason's hiding in.

Actually, the Imperium is very ecology-conscious. Upsetting nature tends to impact farming, and killing off species tend to disrupt the ecosystem.

It's certainly not for compassion.
Just another guy from the shallow end of the gene pool.
Fiferguy
Cloudy, 12C, to -2C o/n with a chance of scattered postings

Post by Fiferguy »

One half of me would probably be happy under the Faey system, and the other half probably wouldn't. On one hand, I love technology, and especially the medical stuff. Think of how many diseases there are that impact people every day. One of my favorite movies is the Star Trek one where Dr. McCoy gives the woman a pill and she grows a new kidney. That kind of technology would be great. But on the other hand, I am very vocally pro-choice. And I don't mean about just abortion. About everything. This is NOT a political thing. But under the Faey system, you aren't allowed to choose what you would like to do. You do what they say, and if you don't they imprison/mind-wipe/kill/etc. you. Not something I could tolerate. In all actuality, I would probably end up doing exactly what Jason does, only without the telepathy and cool toys. I know how to survive in the wilderness. I would just disappear into some deep, dark forest somewhere, and live in peace.

Or I would try.
Wingsolution
Katzh-dashi

Post by Wingsolution »

I'd end up on a farm after being 're-educated.' I'm already crazy enough without aliens attacking, I'd try killing some with any sword-shaped objects I could get my hands on, trying to be a hero...
Or they might decide I'd do better on a comedy show with a strait jacket, just for kicks...
bored and lazy... it's more fun to talk on gaia...
Sbudda
Initiate

Post by Sbudda »

Earth with no war (well, between humankind at least) and no hunger, and everyone has a job? You know, with the exception of the being conqured part, being in a meritocracy wouldn't really bother me too much.

I'd like to see what changes Jason actually makes though. He'll likely keep the meritocracy part, but remove the mandatory work assignment.

Ehh, it's all conjecture at this point.
Fiferguy
Cloudy, 12C, to -2C o/n with a chance of scattered postings

Post by Fiferguy »

Sbudda wrote:Earth with no war (well, between humankind at least) and no hunger, and everyone has a job? You know, with the exception of the being conqured part, being in a meritocracy wouldn't really bother me too much.

I'd like to see what changes Jason actually makes though. He'll likely keep the meritocracy part, but remove the mandatory work assignment.

Ehh, it's all conjecture at this point.
I wouldn't really define this as a meritocracy. Because one of the principle arguments that Jesmind has was that she wasn't able to buy her way into a position in the Navy, and so got into the Marines. Yes, she is strong in her talent, so she is Marines and not a Noble Army, but still. It's only merit based if you're poor, and even then some noble can buy it out from under you.

There's a saying where I'm from that sums it up rather nicely. "Money talks, and bullshit walks." In the Faey system, you can buy your way out of most everything, except for death. Even Kumi's conscription was going to be spent in an office, not on some battlefield somewhere. And I guarantee that some poor worker wouldn't have had that luxury. Even if they were strong in their talent, they still would've been sent to some battlefield somewhere.
Sbudda
Initiate

Post by Sbudda »

Sure, that's true...

I guess it depends on if the question was, would you be happy as a Faey or as a Human. Since most of the humans don't have the money to get into higher positions sans merit, the question of people buying into positions of authority doesn't really enter the picture.

If the question is from a human perspective, I presume it would also depend on wher on Earth you were (and what your lifestyle was before). I'll bet at least a couple billion would be thrilled to work on a farm, have food, and not have to fight anymore. Really, only the people who had plenty of food and had never needed to work a farm would be upset about it.

At least until the Imperium pulled out and the House started screwing around (figuratively) with the locals. I get the impression that the humans in the preserve are a VAST minority.
Taltos
Sorcerer

Post by Taltos »

hm, a good question, this one...

i think, since being a physicist, i'd be happy under the subjugation, because the odds are good that i'm gonna end up as a scientist, playing around with (vastly superior) alien technology. one can only be happy about that.
on the other hand, a subjugation is a subjugation, and some aspects of this would definitely raise my hackles. but then, on the other hand, food&work for everyone definitely sound better than it is now.
one should also not forget the countless hot and sexually liberal faey walking earth, screwing around (literally) with the locals. i would definitely fear for my sanity.. :roll:
ANTIcarrot
Sui'Kun

Post by ANTIcarrot »

Sbudda wrote:Earth with no war (well, between humankind at least) and no hunger, and everyone has a job?
I think that's called communism. And under the Trellane everyone might be just as penniless too. There are implications they have deliberately run Earth's economy into the ground for some short term gain. I also don't see them giving a fair exchange rate when swapping people and business over to Faey credits.

I think possibilities like that might put a downer on such things.
Sangoma
Initiate

Post by Sangoma »

Personally i think that being Jason in the Faey system would be COOL, a hidden planet, shape shifting cousins, superior tech, telepathy and wife's friends who are willing to keep you company when she's not around? Come on people, what more do you need? Beer, yes, Fel forgot about Beer.
Your local Witch Doctor