Fun with Human Tech

ANTIcarrot
Sui'Kun

Fun with Human Tech

Post by ANTIcarrot »

Been rereading Subjugation recently, and something just didn't quite feel right about the numbers for Jason's gun.
When fired at twenty thousand miles an hour, a round fired from that gun would go through anything. * I’m adapting it to fire rounds about the size of a .30 caliber bullet. * The rocky side of the hillside simply shattered, spraying dust and chips out from the point of impact. * “Only 14,732 miles and hour,” he grunted.
In more conventional (and useful) units the round is going at around 6,547mps. Near as I can tell an average weight for the bullet would be 8 grams. This gives a total KE of 171,452 joules.

HEAT warheads from small anti-tank rockets though usually produce jets with velocities closer to 8,000mps. With an guessed mass of 4 grams the jet has a KE of 128,000 joules.

For comparison's sake, typical bullet energies are as follows:
5.56mm: 1,708 joules
7.62mm: 3,506 joules
12.7mm (everyone's favorite anti-material rifle): 16,569 joules
120mm (modern tank): 30,000,000 joules

Now I know thiat this is a space opera, and that laws of physics aren't welcome - but even so I think Fel might wish to consider upping the coilgun's velocity by an order of magnatude or two. ;)

In the mantime though, who wants to take bets on faey armour VS 120mm tank round? :P $10 on the tank round!

ANTIcarrot.