Guerilla warfare (sub10 spoilers)

Shadowhawk
Child of Niami

Guerilla warfare (sub10 spoilers)

Post by Shadowhawk »

I think what Jason should do is not to engage in conventional resistance, but in guerilla (but not terrorist kind) of warfare.

First of all he should gather intelligence on violating law by House Trilliane. Slave trade, unauthorized mind-bending,... First try to engage law machine and Imperial Marines by anonymous tips with solid proof (video and audio footage, copies of bookkeeping, statistics on mising humans). Then maybe try to send it directly to Empress or other ruling houses (especially ones with grudge against House Trilliane). Maybe broadcast it to general Faey public, using this Internet equivalent, pirate TV and likes, sending messages to tourists.

Supplementary, he might have to show that House Trilliane is incopetent with handling their primary objective, namely giving food to Empire. Passive resistance and faked accidents is the key I think.

The trouble would be with House Trilliane retaliating against Human population, e.g. by sending more people to farms, giving them less freedom and such, or maybe reprogarmming them telepatically.

But first thing Jason should do (besides gathering evidence) is try to get and train more human telepaths. Be it by monitoring Faey-Human couples, with human with correct heritage/DNA, or breaking out telepaths out of prisons, or trying to do some genetic engineering, or some kind of DNA sieve for finding humans which may become telepaths, then puting them in condition where they become telepaths.

Of course, if Faey Empire cannot spare effort to police House Trilliane, then Jason wouln't have another option that to take House Trilliane head on... against using guerilla tactic: freeing enslaved people, destroing spaceships, property and such. If Empire cannot police House Trilliane, it wouln't have much force to oppose Human resistance/revolution, if one would become necessary.
I AM DEATH, NOT TAXES. *I* TURN UP ONLY ONCE.
(Terry Pratchet, "Feet of Clay")
Phantom
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Re: Guerilla warfare (sub10 spoilers)

Post by Phantom »

shadowhawk wrote:I think what Jason should do is not to engage in conventional resistance, but in guerilla (but not terrorist kind) of warfare.
Military Targets only Civilian targets should be left alone. unless they are being used for hiding Military Opperations/assest's

First of all he should gather intelligence on violating law by House Trilliane. Slave trade, unauthorized mind-bending,... First try to engage law machine and Imperial Marines by anonymous tips with solid proof (video and audio footage, copies of bookkeeping, statistics on mising humans). Then maybe try to send it directly to Empress or other ruling houses (especially ones with grudge against House Trilliane). Maybe broadcast it to general Faey public, using this Internet equivalent, pirate TV and likes, sending messages to tourists.
Gathering may not be possible without exposing his
self to the Faey. but it's a Damn good idea
as for brodcasting Internet would work but interecpting/jamming/hijacking the TV would only affect local Programing and not the Broad coverage he needs.

How ever using the internet to send Video and such of House Trilliane's Trangressions to someone at INN anomonously such as Deep Throat could work. get some investigative reporters checking on whats happening.
Supplementary, he might have to show that House Trilliane is incopetent with handling their primary objective, namely giving food to Empire. Passive resistance and faked accidents is the key I think..
I think showing them to be Treasonous would be the best angle to work for. Get the Emperess involved
The trouble would be with House Trilliane retaliating against Human population, e.g. by sending more people to farms, giving them less freedom and such, or maybe reprogarmming them telepatically..

I don't know but i think it's hard to reprogram an individual with telepathy or they would have done it more all ready ...it may take too much time for them to do several hundrad or thousands ( beside's it would draw attention they don't want.

retaliating aginst humans could be the one thing they can't do as it would draw the Emperess into the Fray.
But first thing Jason should do (besides gathering evidence) is try to get and train more human telepaths. Be it by monitoring Faey-Human couples, with human with correct heritage/DNA, or breaking out telepaths out of prisons, or trying to do some genetic engineering, or some kind of DNA sieve for finding humans which may become telepaths, then puting them in condition where they become telepaths..
I think the Human tep's they have found were shiped off world The problem that exists is once they express
the Faey know and Grab them... i don't know if Jason would be able to get close enough to scan for anyothers and we are talking neddle in a Hay stack at this time... this could change in the future.

maybe scaning effects are cumulative in humans maybe more and more will start expressing making the Faeys best weapon useless as it will create more telepath's if they do.
Of course, if Faey Empire cannot spare effort to police House Trilliane, then Jason wouln't have another option that to take House Trilliane head on... against using guerilla tactic: freeing enslaved people, destroing spaceships, property and such. If Empire cannot police House Trilliane, it wouln't have much force to oppose Human resistance/revolution, if one would become necessary.
The problem jason will face is he is just one against many and House Trailliane has it's own troops for policing.

Maybe the marines can't watch over them. but House Trailliane's troops will respond to jason's attack's

Jason needs a Big slingshot 8)

Phantom
And in the fury of this darkest hour
I will be your light
A lifetime for this destiny
For I am Winter born
And in this moment..I will not run
It is my place to stand
We few shall carry hope
Within our bloodied hands
(bloodied hands)
And in our Dying, we're more alive-than we have ever been
I've lived for these few seconds
For I am Winter born
The CruxShadows "Winterborn" (This Sacrifice)
ANTIcarrot
Sui'Kun

Post by ANTIcarrot »

> Slave trade, unauthorized mind-bending,...

What makes you think that anyone in the Imperium will care? They're not exactly into civil rights in a big way; not matter what is written down in theory.

ANTIcarrot
I is an certified nut
Hearly
Speed Racer!

Post by Hearly »

anticarrot wrote:> Slave trade, unauthorized mind-bending,...

What makes you think that anyone in the Imperium will care? They're not exactly into civil rights in a big way; not matter what is written down in theory.

ANTIcarrot

I guess it would depend on the Empereress(sp?) I mean if they oppress all the people, then eventually they will revolt at some point, even a non-telepath with the right equipment can do some serious damage (plasma bomb, etc...)
Shadowhawk
Child of Niami

Post by Shadowhawk »

anticarrot wrote:> Slave trade, unauthorized mind-bending,...

I think that you are wrong. Faey may not recognize non-telepath races as close to being their equal (as selection of humans involuntary into farms and not points out), but I think they do recognize some of humans rights. Something akin to the law protecting the animals from abuse we have now. Where exactly is the point between treating humans as sentient sub-race with some rights on their own and in need of "protecting", to recognizing them as equals... that probably depends on the Faey. Jason couldn't be friends with some Faey if they were "not into civil rights". (There was a word in "Speaker for the Dead" by Orson Scot Card, second book in Ender Wiggin saga for neighbour from other race, which unfortunately I have forgot.)

And of course there is also the dependency of Faey on Earth's food. If I remember correctly even if Empire wold survive with food output from Earth lessened/thwarted, the lack of luxury food could cause some uproar. The danger is retaliation against humans, like e.g. what occupational Nazi forces did in Poland during WWII. Thus the idea of sabotage.

The railgun (BTW. what Jason uses is if I am not mistaken not rail gun but Gauss rifle) in RL was created among others to check satelites against meteor strike. So, let's take a few "meteors" take out Faey ships (slave and food) out of comission. Maybe even damage the gate.

Besides, if really trouble is brewing on faey Empire horizon, like removal of large portios of Marine forces points out, Empress I think would rather have Earth as allies, not as a planet in uproar/dissent.
Shadowhawk
Child of Niami

Post by Shadowhawk »

I wonder if (auto)hypnosis, with post-hipnotic amnesia, hypnotic triggers and the like can be used to make plans (for non-telepaths) against Faey? It probably couln't be hidden against full scan, but could be enough against sweep.
Phantom
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Post by Phantom »

shadowhawk wrote: I think that you are wrong. Faey may not recognize non-telepath races as close to being their equal (as selection of humans involuntary into farms and not points out), but I think they do recognize some of humans rights. Something akin to the law protecting the animals from abuse we have now. Where exactly is the point between treating humans as sentient sub-race with some rights on their own and in need of "protecting", to recognizing them as equals... that probably depends on the Faey. Jason couldn't be friends with some Faey if they were "not into civil rights". (There was a word in "Speaker for the Dead" by Orson Scot Card, second book in Ender Wiggin saga for neighbour from other race, which unfortunately I have forgot.)
In the Story we find
"he often forgot that the Imperium treated the Faey the same way it treated the humans".
and
[Well, you certainly dont want too much, she laughed. Just give it time, Jason. Youve seen how the Imperium works. Youre not a conquered race, youre a part of the Imperium. As soon as you get used to it, youll be just like everyone else. Youll be the equal of a Faey. Youre not the only alien race thats a part of the Imperium, you know. The Menoda have been part of the Imperium for over two hundred years. They have noble houses and everything.

It would seem that at least  Symone and Jyslin seem to think humans are Equals
But in dealing with Nobles you could be right some are more equal then others in the Imperium... I just hope the Empress doesn't see it that way for Jason's sake..
And of course there is also the dependency of Faey on Earth's food. If I remember correctly even if Empire wold survive with food output from Earth lessened/thwarted, the lack of luxury food could cause some uproar. The danger is retaliation against humans, like e.g. what occupational Nazi forces did in Poland during WWII. Thus the idea of sabotage.
The Earth is responsible for about 20% overall from reading the story.   I would have to agree on the retaliations as I'm sure the Nobles don't want to draw Imperial Attention to their operations or failures
The railgun (BTW. what Jason uses is if I am not mistaken not rail gun but Gauss rifle) in RL was created among others to check satelites against meteor strike. So, let's take a few "meteors" take out Faey ships (slave and food) out of comission. Maybe even damage the gate.
Actually they are in the same family grouping but are two different types of guns
And all though Jason's version isn't truly what I would call a Rail gun but is in the same Family
Jason's weapon is that I would term as being a Multi Stage Coil Gun.

A Rail gun A rail gun in it's simplest form is a pair of conducting rails separated by a distance and with one rail connected to the positive and one the negative side of a power source supplying voltage and current . A conducting projectile bridges the gap between the rails, completing the electrical circuit. As current flows through the rails, a magnetic field is generated drawing the projectile towards the end of the rails.

A Multi Stage Coil Gun  is a Linear ElectroMagnetic Accelerator It accelerates a piece of iron or steel down a tube. The tube runs through a series of electromagnetic coils (like solenoids). There are no sparks or noise or impressive side effects (or parts to wear out). Some careful timing circuits energize each coil in sequence. The principle of magnetic attraction draws the projectile along at rapidly increasing speed.

A Gauss Rifle is a simple device that uses magnetic force to accelerate a projectile. The Gauss Rifle is a linear accelerator, in that it consists of several stages (magnets) arranged in a linear fashion on a track. A metal ball is released near the start of the track and is pulled towards the first magnet. The force of the ball striking the magnet is transferred through the magnet to the balls on the other side. This pushes the next ball towards the next magnet. At each stage, the magnet adds its own force to the system, which translates to more kinetic energy (and thus a higher speed) for the projectile. When the ball leaves the final stage, it is traveling very fast.

In simplest terms these are the 3 basic types that all fall under the Rail gun family. I'm sure the terms Rail gun and Gauss Rifle are tossed about to describe all three types but there are some differences as you can see above..  
Besides, if really trouble is brewing on faey Empire horizon, like removal of large portios of Marine forces points out, Empress I think would rather have Earth as allies, not as a planet in uproar/dissent.
That would be my thought's exactly..
But then we know the Nobles in charge aren't going to be telling her the truth either... I think it will lead to a VERY pissed off Empress and several Noble Spankings.

I can see something a long the lines of the Emperor Shaddam IV and the house Harkonnen in Dune.
As the Emperss Calls the Heads of House Tarlinne to Earth to answer why they have allowed things to take place the way they have...

It could be interesting  
Now we have to see if it happens that way.

Phantom
I will be your light
For I am Winter born
It is my place to stand
We few shall carry hope
(bloodied hands)
For I am Winter born
Shadowhawk
Child of Niami

Post by Shadowhawk »

phantom wrote:I think the Human tep's they have found were shiped off world. The problem that exists is once they express the Faey know and Grab them... I don't know if Jason would be able to get close enough to scan for anyothers   and we are talking neddle in a hay stack at this time... this could change in the future.  

Maybe scaning effects are cumulative in humans maybe more and more will start expressing  making the Faeys best weapon useless as it will create more telepath's if they do.
Jason have the advantage that (as I uderstand it), he suspects that humans telepaths gets activated by prolonged telepathic contact with Faey (like him and Jyslin), and Faey government and House Trilliane don't have even that. If somebody would mention to Jason to compare genetics of human teps (Jason, Tim and Temika) and find common traits.

Then one could either try to find humans with similar genetic traits, or coming from the same bloodline (if such information can be obtained, either leglly, or e.g. via hacking medical databases) who have close telepathic contact with some Faey, so they might express telepathic talent in near future; or one can try to gengineer humans with telepathic ability (not by Jason lonesome, of course).
Plshade
Novice

Post by Plshade »

That could work but only if he had time to actually try. Remember that right now he wants to relocate the entire settlement to a more secure location and deal with how to stop House Trillane from selling any more humans off world.

It sounds like everything could hit the fan at once. Aside from whatever Jason plans to do, we can also expect Jyslin, her aunt Lorna, and rest of her squad to raise an uproar. Plus House Trillane probably will be out in force to hunt down Jason and silence him permanently before word reaches the Empress.

And who knows what the Empress will do if she believes what she hears about Trillane selling slaves. Remember what Jyslin told Jason;
Im sorry, but Lorna says that she has no doubt that you believe what you say, but she cant order a ship stopped and searched on the word of a wanted fugitive, Jyslin told him, rather reluctantly.  She promises to have someone look into your allegations, though.  If Trillane is secretly engaged in the slave trade, the Empress would blow a primary coil.
What you don't know, wont hurt you. But what you search for, might GET you.
Phantom
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Post by Phantom »

plshade wrote:That could work but only if he had time to actually try. Remember that right now he wants to relocate the entire settlement to a more secure location and deal with how to stop House Trillane from selling any more humans off world.

It sounds like everything could hit the fan at once. Aside from whatever Jason plans to do, we can also expect Jyslin, her aunt Lorna, and rest of her squad to raise an uproar. Plus House Trillane probably will be out in force to hunt down Jason and silence him permanently before word reaches the Empress.

And who knows what the Empress will do if she believes what she hears about Trillane selling slaves. Remember what Jyslin told Jason;
I think Jason has already opened a can of worms.
Knowing the military a report about the claim on the Slavers freighter has to be filed.
and follow-ups done investigating the claim of Slaving.
The **** will hit the fan once they can't find the Freighter or figure out it left earth without carrying food.
it was cause a lot of red flags and House Trillane is going to be busy trying to prove they aren't doing any thing wrong.
this gives Jason and Co. a little breathing room

But once House Trillane starts thinking about it. Jason will become the #1 suspect  even if his name isn't in the report.  he's after all the only human outlaw known to own and have disappeared in a flyer.

he's the only one who could have been close and discovered it in some way...

But I do think it will draw Imperial attention to earth.

Phantom
Last edited by Phantom on Sun Apr 03, 2005 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
I will be your light
For I am Winter born
It is my place to stand
We few shall carry hope
(bloodied hands)
For I am Winter born