Subjugation Chapter 10 (spoilers)

Phantom
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Re: Subjugation Chapter 10 (spoilers)

Post by Phantom »

jnormg wrote:He may neet to up-scale the rail gun to a larger projectile. (think what damage would be done by a tennis ball-sized chunk of lead traveling at 14000 mph)
I don't think he needs to do that  Remember how much Energy is Released on Impact with just the rounds hes using (( Besides Bigger projectile the more Backward force it creates ))  The Smaller ones he currently use's are great.
IMHO if you think about how hard they will be to detect and defend against ...... And remember any hole in a Spacecraft  can be Dangerous...  ;D

Also the Speed will be greater in a Vacum .....

If he can safely demonstrate a threat to the transfer station in earth orbit or the the star gate outside the moon's orbit, he can hold food shipments hostage and thus has a strong negotiating position.

Maybe, Maybe not  it will depend on How much dammage he's willing to do.   also if he can discriminate his targets to only House Trillane opperations on Earth and near earth.. Maybe He can get the Emperess to Take direct action to Reign in House Trillane.

However, it is a two-edged sword. Kumi is part of House Trillane, and Jyslin is still loyal to the Imperium. Jason needs both. Also, a serious threat to food shipments might trigger a massive retaliation against wilderness settlements everywhere.
True But there seems to be Seperate Fractions in the noble house's this could work in Jasons favor as it has in the past..   Kumi allready Knows Jason and he protects the weak from the strong.

I am extremely curious as to what role Temiko plays. She has a serious reason for disliking the Fey. She now has talent, although mostly untrained, but she has already shown her resourcefulness and her toughness. My guess is she goes with Jason while Tim and Symone remain with the settlement, where they are needed the most.
Temiko is a free spirit and she wants to stay free of the Faey....
While I feel she will still Help in jason in some ways what he's going to do will put Eyes on him she want's to avoid at all costs....  

Tim and Symone are there because of Jason and they will stay with him what ever he does.  

I think Tim will see his freedom is linked to Jason if he wins Tim and Symone win.   if jason fails tim and Symone fail too...  

I also think Tim and Steve will be left to repair the exomech, since Jason now has very little use for it. Anyway, these are just my guesses. No matter which way it goes, it is a fantastic story.
Jason is going to start a war the Exomech is exactly what he needs ... Plus it's way too dangerous to move to the new community there is just too much danger in keeping it there, (more danger then it's worth to them)

If it were ever discovered it would end every thing for them.

Also Jason is the only one who has a chance of using it and succeeding besides maybe Symone.  

=)
Phantom

The Avalanche has all ready started!  
it's too late for the pebbles to Vote!.
'Kosh"  "Babylon5 Into the Fire"
And in the fury of this darkest hour
I will be your light
A lifetime for this destiny
For I am Winter born
And in this moment..I will not run
It is my place to stand
We few shall carry hope
Within our bloodied hands
(bloodied hands)
And in our Dying, we're more alive-than we have ever been
I've lived for these few seconds
For I am Winter born
The CruxShadows "Winterborn" (This Sacrifice)
Journeywoman
Sui'Kun

Post by Journeywoman »

My thought of what could happen is that Jason does everything he can to the exomech: rail gun, invisible, anti plasma and anything else he comes up with, then goes after the next slaver as I doubt the Fey will do anything. The Fey at the station seeing a cargo ship destroyed and go 'WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT!' as it came from nowhere, literally. As I see it the Fey would be willing to pay anything for the technology to do that, perhaps enough to bribe a change in government of earth? If Jason got over his no giving Fey technology thing for the sake of Earth he could dictate what the government would be: perhaps human or perhaps even Kumi (to keep an image of what was to the empire) with an arrangement for the humans to basically rule themselves.
Abandon the search for truth; settle for good fantasy!
Phantom
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Post by Phantom »

journeywoman wrote:My thought of what could happen is that Jason does everything he can to the exomech: rail gun, invisible, anti plasma and anything else he comes up with, then goes after the next slaver as I doubt the Fey will do anything. The Fey at the station seeing a cargo ship destroyed and go 'WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT!' as it came from nowhere, literally.
That was kinda my thought's exactly.
If he can do that and scare the Faey with what he could do ( If he wanted to ).
And if they couldn't stop him.
The trick here would be to do surgical strikes.  
Disable the Engines and other Systems  but keep the Ship survivable ( Don't want to kill the humans by accident )  
As I see it the Fey would be willing to pay anything for the technology to do that, perhaps enough to bribe a change in government of earth? If Jason got over his no giving Fey technology thing for the sake of Earth he could dictate what the government would be: perhaps human or perhaps even Kumi (to keep an image of what was to the empire) with an arrangement for the humans to basically rule themselves.
Or if he was to learn there was a threat to earth worse then the Faey and they were the only ones Standing in the way of that threat. But were losing  
It would be one way i think he would have no problem giving the Faey an advantage of his Weapons and Tech skills.    
I don't think that (while he likes Kumi )he would want her in charge she still is too much in to her self and partying besides she charges too much <G>  

We still can't Count out  Jyslin or Lorna I think once they find out he's telling the truth about the slave ships   they will be 100% on his side as far as the Slaving goes i don't feel they Condone those types of actions by anyone  
And then there is the Empress as Jyslin says
"If Trillane is secretly engaged in the slave trade, the Empress would blow a primary coil.  
I can hear the Gears turning already house Trillane on earth is about to get caught in a shit storm BIG TIME...
Jason on one side  and the Empress on the other...  and Jason has all ready had one run in with Zarina Marci Trillane" Won't she be pissed when she finds out it's Jason that blows it all for her ?  
but she is and i'm quoting here ( "a Zarinas and Zarinens were minor nobles that watched over cities or interests within those provinces, the lowest rung of the noble hierarchy.")
Can we say Scape goat..........
The fire works should be fun

Phantom

The Avalanche has already started!
      It's too late for the Pebbles to vote!
      "Kosh" "Babylon5  Into the Fire"
I will be your light
For I am Winter born
It is my place to stand
We few shall carry hope
(bloodied hands)
For I am Winter born
Shadowhawk
Child of Niami

Post by Shadowhawk »

I also think that Jason overreacted, bigtime. The lack of immediate reaction from Lorna was not caused I think because she doesn't believe him. Well, he didn't offer any solid proofs, like e.g. how he detected it (maybe he is mistaken, or imagined something, or overreacted?). But she didn't reacted because there was no way under law how to do that, fast. Cutting ties with high positioned Faey is big, big mistake.
I AM DEATH, NOT TAXES. *I* TURN UP ONLY ONCE.
(Terry Pratchet, "Feet of Clay")
Phantom
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Post by Phantom »

shadowhawk wrote:I also think that Jason overreacted, bigtime. The lack of immediate reaction from Lorna was not caused I think because she doesn't believe him. Well, he didn't offer any solid proofs, like e.g. how he detected it (maybe he is mistaken, or imagined something, or overreacted?). But she didn't reacted because there was no way under law how to do that, fast. Cutting ties with high positioned Faey is big, big mistake.
I'll agree with you on Lorna  the military is notoriously slow reacting to things when not in a combat zone.... Red tape, Politic's, Ect..... take your pick..

It's a BIG machine and it takes time to get it running and up to speed....

However  i think Jason has pushed the start button .....

We'll have to see

Phantom
I will be your light
For I am Winter born
It is my place to stand
We few shall carry hope
(bloodied hands)
For I am Winter born
Shadowhawk
Child of Niami

Post by Shadowhawk »

phantom wrote:I'll agree with you on Lorna  the military is notoriously slow reacting to things when not in a combat zone.... Red tape, Politic's, Ect..... take your pick..
And of course Faey law. For example to search suspects house (in current law) you have to have warrant, and to get a warrant you have to have proof that there might there be something. Probably merchant ships are protected against unwarranted search also... Yeah, law is twoedged - protecting you from police harrasment it also makes harder to catch criminals.
phantom wrote: It's a BIG machine and it takes time to get it running and up to speed....

However  i think Jason has pushed the start button .....

We'll have to see
What I think Jason should do is call Jyslin (and/or Lorna), apoligize for outburst (which was probably caused by listening to slave's minds). But the idea of separating itself from the "Colony" could be a good idea, if he wants to fights with House Trilliane illegitimate actions (non-telepaths cannot be in revol. movement). But even if he will not contact Lorna, I think she might be sufficiently interested to order discrete investigation of "alleged" human slave trade.

Hmmm... now exomech (stupid idea from the military point of view - too easily detected I think) is to be repaired, not only learnt from, I think.
I AM DEATH, NOT TAXES. *I* TURN UP ONLY ONCE.
(Terry Pratchet, "Feet of Clay")
Phantom
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Post by Phantom »

shadowhawk wrote: And of course Faey law. For example to search suspects house (in current law) you have to have warrant, and to get a warrant you have to have proof that there might there be something. Probably merchant ships are protected against unwarranted search also... Yeah, law is twoedged - protecting you from police harrasment it also makes harder to catch criminals.
My thought's on this match yours
What I think Jason should do is call Jyslin (and/or Lorna), apoligize for outburst (which was probably caused by listening to slave's minds). But the idea of separating itself from the "Colony" could be a good idea, if he wants to fights with House Trilliane illegitimate actions (non-telepaths cannot be in revol. movement). But even if he will not contact Lorna, I think she might be sufficiently interested to order discrete investigation of "alleged" human slave trade.
I'm Still of two minds on this one    one yes   one No
I'm Still torn in thinking not calling will get more action then calling  <Sigh>  it will all depend on  Jyslin and how much she realy is in love with Jason...
Hmmm... now exomech (stupid idea from the military point of view - too easily detected I think) is to be repaired, not only learnt from, I think.
Not really It's a Tank  and it has it's uses  besides this one isn't some outdated piece of hardware.... it's State of the Art   the newest, biggest and baddest....a little work----Add some modifications and Bam just the thing to Equalize the playing field...    

Jason needs something like a Cave  so he can build defenses against attack and detection.

I still think he should build the Anti Mpac Shielding  and use it around his new place as well as the other anti-detection shielding.

Then he needs to build a couple Auto Tracking Rail Cannons for defense.  hell if built the right way they could possibly be a major threat to anything in orbit
build them larger then his little rifle and Hummmm..

Following the workings as Fel explained them in the story.  Mpac's use a Magnetic bubble to surround the plasma they fire.    

Theorizing  this we could then design a new rail cannon that shoot's Mpac style rounds (Very Large Rounds) at very high speeds. As the Plasma's magnetic bubble could be charged positive or negative the rail device could then use the Same alignment or the opposite to repel or attract the round down the Rail Cannon Barrel causing it to fire at Enormous speed.

The Size of the round could be of enormous size or power.   this could very well be devastating to a Faey warship as it could potently overwhelm their shields with it's speed and  kinetic energy  and the Plasma release could be rather large.  
(shudder) It could very well be able to Vaporize a ship in orbit depending on the size of the round... at the very least it could punch large holes in shields and armor overwhelming defenses not equipped to deal with the size and speed of this type attack

Humm it would make Slave trading a Very risky business.   Hell any trading or shipping period.  

If they could be built and automated Jason could hide several of them at various places around the planet and then shut down all shipping coming and going.
I'm sure not Freighter would want to chance a landing or takeoff knowing they may be Vaporized before they could escape and not being able to defend against it.

There are a couple of other ideas I saw that could be potentially very devastating weapons if Jason remembers and can use them. i'll have to do some rereading to refresh the memory and get back with them later....  

Just some food for thought.... <G>

Phantom

I will be your light
For I am Winter born
It is my place to stand
We few shall carry hope
(bloodied hands)
For I am Winter born
ANTIcarrot
Sui'Kun

Post by ANTIcarrot »

Hmm. With what he has Jason could easily destroy the two capital ships and station in orbit. If nothing else he could disable the safeties on a PPG; and in chapter 2 we're told that even a 'small' one has the same explosive potential as a 25Mt nuke. As others have said though, the problem is retaliation. Politically there is no way the Imperium could not react to that; and it's doubtful he could handle the reaction if it involved hundreds of ships; or something worse. 911 anyone? There *will* be far more than 3300 people on those ships.

From another point of view, there is a danger of technology taking over and detracting from the core idea of the story: Jason's Ideals VS Real Life. He's already gone from 'hating them but going along as he has no choice' to 'sod em all, death is better' and is currently at 'damn it all to hell we need them after all'. Continuing that is more interesting than what piece of made up technology can defeat some other piece of made up technology.

Though if we are going to speculate in that area, I'd sugest we all take a fresh look at a certian piece of basic Faey technology. Properly rebuilt it would seem to solve a lot of problems.

ANTIcarrot.
I is an certified nut
Phantom
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Post by Phantom »

anticarrot wrote:Hmm. With what he has Jason could easily destroy the two capital ships and station in orbit. If nothing else he could disable the safeties on a PPG; and in chapter 2 we're told that even a 'small' one has the same explosive potential as a 25Mt nuke. As others have said though, the problem is retaliation. Politically there is no way the Imperium could not react to that; and it's doubtful he could handle the reaction if it involved hundreds of ships; or something worse. 911 anyone? There *will* be far more than 3300 people on those ships.
I was thinking about that  but what caught me was also
how they prevented it   a micro-wormhole into deep space  How Valuable would a weapon be if it could say  Cut a section of a BattleCruiser's Hull and useing a micro-wormhole send it into deep space somewhere.

Or say as a ultimate Sheild  any MPAC or projectile that is fired at the object being protected is diverted into one of these Micro-wormholes and sent somewhere else before it can even impact the object.   Like Spyders Cloak of darkness...

From another point of view, there is a danger of technology taking over and detracting from the core idea of the story: Jason's Ideals VS Real Life. He's already gone from 'hating them but going along as he has no choice' to 'sod em all, death is better' and is currently at 'damn it all to hell we need them after all'. Continuing that is more interesting than what piece of made up technology can defeat some other piece of made up technology.
That technology seems to be one of the Plot points.
as well as some of the others you point out.
a big part of the story is how he deals with technology and what he does with it... also the moral implications of it.  
like in WWII you have an Atom Bomb do you use it Knowing it will kill hundreds or thousands of lifes.  
Or not use it knowing that thousands and thousands of Lifes will be lost ?
one of the Dilemmas jason is facing What is the Lessor of two evils and how to live with those choices.
Though if we are going to speculate in that area, I'd sugest we all take a fresh look at a certian piece of basic Faey technology. Properly rebuilt it would seem to solve a lot of problems.
ANTIcarrot.
Which one are you refering to ?
the PPG ?
The PPG was, literally, a miniature sun. Thats exactly what it was. The
Faey had technology that affected space itself, allowing them to stretch it, pull it, even tear holes in it, and
that was the technology that allowed them to build the PPG. Inside the device was a bubble of stretched
space, and inside that bubble of stretched space, isolated from the rest of space by the boundaries of its
bubble, was a hot nuclear fusion reaction. Just like the nuclear fusion that took place in stars, thats what
was going on inside a PPG.
this one ? there are some interesting possibilitys there <G>

Phantom
I will be your light
For I am Winter born
It is my place to stand
We few shall carry hope
(bloodied hands)
For I am Winter born
Phantom
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Post by Phantom »

Has anyone beside's me noticed the pattern forming in
Jasons life ?

First  his mother was killed in an auto accident.
now it's Jason and his father
but there Cancer

then suddenly he's Orphaned and has the get by alone.
He becomes some what of a loner depending on himself

the Faey come along  and Jason who is basicly a Loner
is forced into school.

he has a friend but is still a loner depending on himself

Some thing happens and he finds him self with several friends almost a mini family he comes to care about
Bam he a Telepath... and he's force to trust someone he can't trust

theres a another problem a physical they might find out about him.....

so he runs

Alone again  he lives as a semi loner again depending on himself trying to hide and just get by.

Then People show up wanting nothing more then to be safe near by being near him...
More people show up  part of his mini family show up needing him to help them hide also...

suddenly theirs a comunity
hes force to be a leader not a loner

....But it's safety is threatened
Jason feels betrayed and hurt by one he trusted.

Suddenly he thinking about being  a loner again Fighting a one man War against the Faey......

humm back and forth we go... who will join him next?
and what will they be doing?.. will they all be killed? forcing jason to once again go it alone?

and for the 64 thousand dollar question.
What about the Key?  Who has enough Firepower that if jason is in trouble about to be killed or captured he can use the key...  
And they will be able to come get him maybe fighting their way through a Nobles army and maybe the Marines...???

Sounds like a lot of power to me... and they have the Empress's ear.   Sounds a lot like this mysterious benifactor could be named Dahnai.

which brings up the Question ....How did they know Kumi even knew where he was located.  
or that she could even arraign a meeting with Jason Fox

Tune in next week
Same Bat time
Same Bat channel

Phantom
I will be your light
For I am Winter born
It is my place to stand
We few shall carry hope
(bloodied hands)
For I am Winter born
zedd
Sui'Kun

Post by zedd »

the slavers can be working for another house, who use an intermediary who induce them to think they are working for Zarina.

i don't think Their employer would let them know who they work for Knowing that they could get caught and betray him/her.

That would put Jason working on the same side as Marines, Kumi and Zarina
ANTIcarrot
Sui'Kun

Post by ANTIcarrot »

Standard advice for writers is:
"When you don't know what else to do, make everything ten times worse."

For instance:
No-one shows up for work on July 1st - and the Faey massively over react to what they percieve as a strike. Hundreds die, and things start a downward spiral as all humans suddenly see Faey for what they are. Which only makes things worse... (Though since the Faey have been there for over a year, this is a bit of a non starter. ;)

In addition to this, some normalisation of Jason would help. He's been *very* lucky. That luck really needs to either end, or apply equally to others.

ANTIcarrot.
And yes I was refering to the PPG.
I is an certified nut
zedd
Sui'Kun

Post by zedd »

I like the Faey. Humans in their position would behave a LOT worse.

The fact that the same rules apply to all the races, including the Faey and humans makes me consider them very fair.
In human history the conquerers have always been brutal savages. Our history if full of examples. the Faey are showing a much more "civilized" behavior.

And considering that the Faey are treating our planet better than the humans treated it while they where in power ....
codewarrior
Sorcerer

Post by codewarrior »

The confilct of the Faey taking over our planet but then treating it better than we did is a major conflict that has never really been explored before. I movies the invader is never there to make the planet better, they are there to destroy it. That is what helps to make Fel's stories so good. he, thinks of conflics that have never really been used  before.
Lead me not to temptation. I'm sure, I know the way better than you.
ANTIcarrot
Sui'Kun

Post by ANTIcarrot »

Hmm. The Faey end human civilisation. Disrupt billions of lives. Send peopel off to work camps, and probably without reguard for friendships or families. Force people to abandon thier life earnings at gun point. Telepathically rape normal people. Destroy the minds of telepathic humans to turn them into loyal zombie soldiers. Indulge in slavery. Knowingly hand over the administration of the planet to a bunch of vicious pirates who'll milk it for every penny its worth and don't really see humans as their equals.

This is behaving better than humans . . . how?

And don't be too sure their enviromental policies either. Turning the planet into one big super farm isn't going to do wildlife any good. And we can still trying to understand if new technology damages the enviroment. How can we be sure theirs won't? How can we believe their promises one way or the other when what they might see as an enviromental benifit (extermination of tigers/wolves) we would see as a loss?

Of course the Faey aren't going to deliberately destroy our world. And some of them probably think their presence may well be benificial. But mostly the Imperium is on Earth to make a profit; and at the end of the day, like modern multinational, it simply doesn't care who gets hurt in the persuit of that profit.

ANTIcarrot.
I is an certified nut