Calendar change

Fel
Weavespinner

Calendar change

Post by Fel »

I just scrabbled my Faey calendar back together, and while doing so I was scratching my head and asking myself "wtf was I doing?" There were several errors in days and months...I musta been half asleep several times when I was creating a new calendar heading. A couple of the "days" I put in aren't even real.

So, I've gone back on my master files and re-engineered the calendar.

And so you guys can keep me honest, here ya go:

........................................................................................

The Faey Orthodox Calendar dates back to the founding of the Imperium. The calendar consists of 350.5 days, broken up into 10 different months. The first and last months of the year are 30 days long, all others aer 36 days long. The first day of the year and the middle of the year are stand-alone days, not part of any month, and are considered holidays.

The months of the year:

-New Year's Day (called Kaitha)
-Toraa (30 day month)
-Suraa
-Miraa
-Demaa
-Kedaa
-Midsummer's Day (called Baetha)
-Kiraa
-Romaa
-Shiaa
-Oraa (30 day month)

Every other year, 1 day is added to the calendar to balance it. This leap day is called Kitaa (holy day of god), and is added after New Year's Day.

All months end with -aa. This means honors god (ba-a, contracted to -aa). "God" is a word evolved from the original ancient Faey informal word for Trelle, the leader of the Faey Pantheon of 3 gods, known as the Holy Trinity. Trelle was the first of the Faey gods to be worshipped, and it was originally taboo to speak Trelle's name, so she was referred to as "ba," as "god." Only after Demir and Aris became established religions was the meaning of ba changed to mean "any god" and not a direct reference to Trelle. Despite the change, the original meaning of the -aa suffix of all months was the direct honoring of Trelle.

Days are counted in 10-day intervals, called Takirs, which translates to "week" in English, which is an ancient Faey word for journey (the journey of days). The original Faey calendar originally had 30 day months only, but was changed after the biannual leap-year caused chronological problems with the original calendar.

The days of the week:

-Raista
-Brista
-Maista
-Vesta
-Kaista
-Kaira
-Chiira
-Koira
-Raira
-Daira

The first 5 days end with -ista except Vesta, which means honors Arist (Arist-a, contracted to -ista...Aris being one of the 3 gods of the Trinity. Vesta doesn't include the I because of a grammatical rule of the Faey language. There is no "i following e" sound in Faey. The I is silent, and over time, the silent I (represented in the Faey alphabet with its own letter) fell into disuse when printing calendars, and eventually officially dropped from the word. It is still used in the Faey language, however, just not in the word Vesta.

It should be noted that Arist's name evolved over time and dropped the t...she is now known as Aris to the Faey.

The second 5 days always end with -ira, which means honors Demir (Demir-a, contracted to -ira), Demir being the last of the 3 gods of the Trinity.

With the slow evolution of the Faey language, most Faey don't realize that their calendar is highly religious in origin, where every month and day honors one of their 3 gods. Every written date is a tribute to Trelle and one of the other gods of the Trinity, depending on what day of the week it is.

......................................................................................

There, some Subjugation background trivia. I hope you like it. ;)
Last edited by Fel on Sat Apr 16, 2005 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Just another guy from the shallow end of the gene pool.
Phantom
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Re: Calendar change

Post by Phantom »

fel wrote:I just scrabbled my Faey calendar back together, and while doing so I was scratching my head and asking myself "wtf was I doing?" There were several errors in days and months...I musta been half asleep several times when I was creating a new calendar heading. A couple of the "days" I put in aren't even real.

So, I've gone back on my master files and re-engineered the calendar.

And so you guys can keep me honest, here ya go:

........................................................................................
-------- Cut ---------
......................................................................................

There, some Subjugation background trivia. I hope you like it. ;)
MORE MORE MORE :D ;)

This is Cool ( Hears the Worms in his Brain starting to turn )
More Ammo for the Cause ::)

How we just need a Complete breakdown of the Imperium universe.
Races in the imperium, ???
Races outside the Imperium, :)
Complete History of the Faey ;D
Complete History of the Kimdori 8)

We don't ask for much do we? ;) :P

I can see my next term paper forming all ready
Did you know YaBB 1 Gold - Sp 1.3.1! has a Message size limit? LOL

Thanks

Phantom
Last edited by Phantom on Sat Apr 16, 2005 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
And in the fury of this darkest hour
I will be your light
A lifetime for this destiny
For I am Winter born
And in this moment..I will not run
It is my place to stand
We few shall carry hope
Within our bloodied hands
(bloodied hands)
And in our Dying, we're more alive-than we have ever been
I've lived for these few seconds
For I am Winter born
The CruxShadows "Winterborn" (This Sacrifice)