The 7 races of the Imperium

Fel
Weavespinner

The 7 races of the Imperium

Post by Fel »

This isn't a spoiler, and you guys wanted to know, so here ya go.

........................................................................................

The Faey

Homeworld:  Draconis, temperate planet with heavier gravity than the norm

Appearance:  The average female Faey stands 5'10" tall and weighs 190 pounds.  The average male stands 5'8" tall and weighs 175 pounds.  Lithe and athletic appearance, and the species is stronger and heavier than it appears due to their origins on a planet with heavier gravity than the norm.  Faey skin is bluish in color.  Hair is thick, fine, and can be nearly any color.  Eyes can be nearly any color.  Faey have ears that end in noticable points.

Distinguishing characteristics:  Faey are the only naturally telepathic species in the galaxy.  They are also well known for intelligence and technological achievement.  They are the founding race of the Faey Imperium, one of the larger galactic civilizations, spanning 72 star systems.

Government and Standing:  The Faey utilize a feudal governmental system.  As the founding race of their gobvernment, they hold complete power.

-----

The Makati

Homeworld:  Makan IV, temperate planet

Appearance:  the average Makati stands 3'8" and weighs 100 pounds.  Skin color is always red, hair color is white, and eyes are brown, red, yellow, or white.  Makati have tiny horns on their heads, usually covered by their hair.

Distingishing characteristics:  Makati are famous for their engineering skill.  They are highly intelligent.

Standing:  The Makati serve in the Imperium as engineers, scientists, and builders, but Makati can be found in almost any job.  They are the first non-Faey members of the Imperium, and have managed to gain enough standing to have their own noble house within the Imperium's feudal structure.  Makati are the most visible non-Faey race in the Imperium, and are nearly seen as equals by the Faey.

-----

The Goraga

Homeworld:  Goragas VI, temperate/sub-arctic planet

Appearance:  Males stand 8'2" tall and weigh 450 pounds.  Females stand 7'5" tall and weigh 340 pounds.  Goraga appear as humanoid creatures with wide tauran heads and large horns.  They roughly appear as Minotaurs from Earth mythology.  Fur color is dull gray, and eyes glow red from a bio-luminescent reaction that gives them the ability to see.

Distinguishing characteristics:  Goraga are exceedingly stupid creatures, aggressive, hostile, and ill-tempered.

Standing:  The Goraga are too volatile to be allowed to move freely within the Imperium. They are confined to their home planet, where they act as farmers.

-----

The Menoda

Homeworld:  Menos II, sub-tropical water planet with low gravity compared to norm

Appearance:  Menoda are an average of 9'6" long, including the tail, and weigh 300 pounds.  They are aquatic creatures who can move on land for brief periods, and do so on all fours.  Skin color is dark gray or dull blue, and eyes are black.

Distinguishing characteristics:  Menoda have exceptional hearing, but poor vision.  They are highly intelligent, and are gentle, pacifistic beings.  Menoda can only survive out of water for about 6 hours, and their delicate body structure and low-gravity homeworld make them highly intolerant of gravity.  They die quickly on planets with heavier than standard gravity.  A Menoda cannot survive on Draconis, for example, without special equipment.

Standing:  Menoda serve the Imperium as farmers of undersea plants and hosts.  Menos is a vacation destination within the Imperium.  Their aquatic nature confines them to their home planet unless elaborate preparations are made for them, thus they are very rarely seen off of Menos.

-----

Kizzik

Homeworld:  Buraba V, desert planet.

Appearance:  Kizzik are insectoid creatures, standing 5'9" tall and weighing 350 pounds.  Kizzik exoskeletons are tan or brown, with mottled patches to help conceal them in a desert environment.  They have 4 legs and 2 sets of arms, one set of which ends in natural chitin blades and the other set ending in hands.  Their body structure is vaguely similar to a preying mantis, as is head shape.  Noble-caste Kizzik have wings, but cannot fly.

Distinguishing characteristics:  Kizzik have a hive mentality, and a hive intelligence.  Individual Kizzik are stupid, but collectively, a hive of Kizzik are intelligent.  Kizzik noble strains are individually intelligent.  Kizzik communicate through scent, not sound:  Kizzik are incapable of hearing.  The Kizzik scent language is as diverse and complete as any spoken language.  Kizzik utilize sign language to speak to those outside their species.

Standing:  though a hive is intelligent, individual Kizzik are not, and tend to cause trouble.  Drones and lower-caste Kizzik are confined to their homeworld, but noble caste Kizzik can be found in other parts of the Imperium.  Kizzik serve little purpose within the Imperium, but do mine certain minerals and metals for the Faey from deposits on their homeworld.

-----

Parri

Homeworld:  Imbria I, temperate planet

Appearance:  Parri are very large feline creatures that are quadrapedal, but have prehensile hands tipped with claws.  The average Parri stands 5'6", and resembles a large hunting cat, heavily built, with a short tail.  Fur coloration is brown or black, with red stripes.  

Distinguishing characteristics:  Parri can rise up on their hind legs to work with their hands, but they cannot walk in that stance any faster than a slow shuffle.  Their sense of smell is so acute that they can track by scent.  Parri breathe nitrogen, not oxygen.

Standing:  Parri are intelligent, but are tribal in culture and have absolutely no interest in technology or anything that happens beyond their villages.  They refuse to leave their homeworld.  They serve the Imperium by farming fruits that grow from trees that can only grow on Imbria.

-----

The last of the races of the Imperium are humans, but I don't think we need to describe them.  ;)
Just another guy from the shallow end of the gene pool.
Shadowhawk
Child of Niami

Re: The 7 races of the Imperium

Post by Shadowhawk »

A note about insectoid races:

They can look like insects, but have to have very different physiology, as the insectoid respiratory system doesn't scale well. I think that also exosceleton structure as support for muscles doesn't scale that well also (mass grows as cube of liear size, but muscle strenght grows only as square of linear size). Laws of physics, you know.

And I think that even if they can't hear, they should be able to detect vibrations. Besides, I'm not that sure if scent can substitute sound or visual as language/communication medium.

<hr>It seems like Fel chosen to diversify his notes, just in case ;)
Thanks, Fel.
I AM DEATH, NOT TAXES. *I* TURN UP ONLY ONCE.
(Terry Pratchet, "Feet of Clay")
Phantom
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Re: The 7 races of the Imperium

Post by Phantom »

fel wrote:This isn't a spoiler, and you guys wanted to know, so here ya go.

........................................................................................

The Faey
The Makati
The Goraga
The Menoda
The Kizzik
The Parri
The  humans
====  some Parts removed ====
Cool thanks for answering the question

Phantom
And in the fury of this darkest hour
I will be your light
A lifetime for this destiny
For I am Winter born
And in this moment..I will not run
It is my place to stand
We few shall carry hope
Within our bloodied hands
(bloodied hands)
And in our Dying, we're more alive-than we have ever been
I've lived for these few seconds
For I am Winter born
The CruxShadows "Winterborn" (This Sacrifice)