Fun With Faey tech

Fiferguy
Cloudy, 12C, to -2C o/n with a chance of scattered postings

Re: Fun With Faey tech

Post by Fiferguy »

Hearly wrote:In rifles this is a shot gun effect.
Umm... no. Shotguns are like throwing a handful of rocks at something. The truly devastating rifle rounds are those that retain mass for penetration and expand to spread their destruction to surrounding tissue. That's why the insides of a rifle bullet are typically lead--it's easy to work with and has good weight retention properties. Another quality of a good rifle round is controlled expansion. But usually on a human sized target, you don't have to worry about that so much, because the bullet has already gone out the other side. Only on really large game is that an issue. That's why you see the popularity of hollow-tip bullets in self-defense pistols. Massive expansion causes massive damage. But if it breaks up, it loses a lot of energy and doesn't cause enough damage.

Sorry bout that...been shooting for 21 years and a gunsmith for 15. Guns, I know. :twisted:
Mizriath
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Post by Mizriath »

Fiferguy wrote:Sorry bout that...been shooting for 21 years and a gunsmith for 15. Guns, I know. :twisted:
I cannot say much about guns. The only ones I handle are the S&W .38. They are the point and shoot and well if you are not ready, it won't hit the target.

I was wondering whether it was possible to create the rail gun bullets to contain plasma energy in its core. Besides, the explosive impact, it can fry the circuits thereafter.

Miz
The sea flows as long as Earth exist, Love is alive as long as people exist. I will read Fel's stories as long as my heart still beats.
Fiferguy

Post by Fiferguy »

Mizriath wrote:
Fiferguy wrote:Sorry bout that...been shooting for 21 years and a gunsmith for 15. Guns, I know. :twisted:
I cannot say much about guns. The only ones I handle are the S&W .38. They are the point and shoot and well if you are not ready, it won't hit the target.

I was wondering whether it was possible to create the rail gun bullets to contain plasma energy in its core. Besides, the explosive impact, it can fry the circuits thereafter.

Miz
I don't think so. The plasma that runs in conduit is the only plasma that could be contained by metals and it's safe at room temperatures. The weapons-grade plasma is too hot and too unstable to not be contained in a metal jacketed bullet. To contain weapons grade plasma, you need a magnetic containment, and I think that the magnetic propulsion of the railgun would interfere with the plasma envelope. Though, there are other things you can do to a projectile to make it more effective. Explosive rounds have long been around and might be an option. But I think the best thing is this--build a double-barrel gun. You see this often in the US and other armies around the world. One gun for penetration and one gun for explosion. In the case of the US, you have an M-16 (a .223 Remington for those interested) with an M203 40mm grenade launcher.

With Jason, you could mount a railgun and an MPAC on the same frame. I don't know the exact layout of it, but if you did that you would have the Railgun for penetration and the MPAC for explosive force. The benefit of this over the US Army system is much better range and accuracy, and with the MPAC, no loss of ammunition. It would be the best of both worlds.
Phantom
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Post by Phantom »

Mizriath wrote:

Miz
I think this was talked about at one time before...else where in this same thread.

Phantom
And in the fury of this darkest hour
I will be your light
A lifetime for this destiny
For I am Winter born
And in this moment..I will not run
It is my place to stand
We few shall carry hope
Within our bloodied hands
(bloodied hands)
And in our Dying, we're more alive-than we have ever been
I've lived for these few seconds
For I am Winter born
The CruxShadows "Winterborn" (This Sacrifice)
Mizriath
Leaders of the Off-Topic

Post by Mizriath »

Hi Fifer,

Would that mean a one second delay for the MPAC? I am not sure of the trajectory speed for the MPAC. If they have different trajectory speed, it will means the chip has to sensor the distance and recalc the delays for each shot. Not that it is impossible, and I like the idea!!

Jason will have a hell of an armoury with that. Meya and Myra will be his undying fans. (Hehe, I believe they already are.)

Miz
The sea flows as long as Earth exist, Love is alive as long as people exist. I will read Fel's stories as long as my heart still beats.
Fiferguy

Post by Fiferguy »

Mizriath wrote:Hi Fifer,

Would that mean a one second delay for the MPAC? I am not sure of the trajectory speed for the MPAC. If they have different trajectory speed, it will means the chip has to sensor the distance and recalc the delays for each shot. Not that it is impossible, and I like the idea!!

Jason will have a hell of an armoury with that. Meya and Myra will be his undying fans. (Hehe, I believe they already are.)

Miz
Well, as with any other automatic weapon, aiming isn't really necessary. You just move the stream of bullets to where you want it to go. And with an explosive round, close is good enough. :wink:

If you're looking for something with pinpoint accuracy, you're looking at more of a sniper rifle type thing. Something I'd be good at building, but not something every trooper would carry, or even have time to shoot. So I don't think calculating accuracy is a big deal. If you're close, it's good enough.
Halcyon
Katzh-dashi

Post by Halcyon »

I had to toss this out there...that's freakin' awesome!

Here's another question for you guys. Do you think there would be some way for Jason to use the sensor tech he's developed offensively? Like maybe creating something that latched on to a target and designated it as an enemy on the Faey targeting systems, perhaps? Sure, this would be useless if a Faey was actually looking at the target, but the computers wouldn't know the difference.
Also, do you think Jason could successfully incorporate some of his sonic-based gadgets into his armor or perhaps even a ship?
Spec8472
Weavespinner

Post by Spec8472 »

Halcyon wrote:Do you think there would be some way for Jason to use the sensor tech he's developed offensively?
He could produce an response echo for something that wasn't there -- it'd need to be backed up with passive stuff too.. but, perhaps at long range it'd be useful - I'd be suprised if the Faey didn't already have this kind of <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic ... es">ECM</a>. After all - we've developed it rather successfully with our level of tech already.
Fiferguy

Post by Fiferguy »

Halcyon wrote:
Eh, it's a hobby... I also shoot competitively... that's a lot of fun, and a real stress breaker.
Halcyon
Katzh-dashi

Post by Halcyon »

Fiferguy wrote:
Halcyon wrote:
Eh, it's a hobby... I also shoot competitively... that's a lot of fun, and a real stress breaker.
I know what you mean. Sometimes it just feels good to shoot something.
Fiferguy

Post by Fiferguy »

Halcyon wrote:
Fiferguy wrote:
Halcyon wrote: I had to toss this out there...that's freakin' awesome!
I know what you mean. Sometimes it just feels good to shoot something.
It's not that so much as it is just a way to concentrate on something else. I'm very type A--a good trait in a music major--but sometimes, I just need something to cut loose on. Sitting down and it's just me, my weapon of choice, and the target. Rinse. Repeat. Wipe hands on pants.
Halcyon
Katzh-dashi

Post by Halcyon »

Fiferguy wrote:Sitting down and it's just me, my weapon of choice, and the target. Rinse. Repeat. Wipe hands on pants.
So there's no lather anywhere in there, huh? :D
Fiferguy

Post by Fiferguy »

Halcyon wrote:
Fiferguy wrote:Sitting down and it's just me, my weapon of choice, and the target. Rinse. Repeat. Wipe hands on pants.
There's never enough snow down here to do a biathlon. I would though, if I could. I love to cross country ski, but circumstances mean that I can't be where there's snow. Cruel cruel world...
Halcyon
Katzh-dashi

Post by Halcyon »

Fiferguy wrote:
Halcyon wrote:
There's never enough snow down here to do a biathlon. I would though, if I could. I love to cross country ski, but circumstances mean that I can't be where there's snow. Cruel cruel world...
Eh, that's why I like the south, no snow. I'll just head to the forbidden, dark lands of Georgia if I want to see some.
Fiferguy

Post by Fiferguy »

Halcyon wrote:
Fiferguy wrote:
Halcyon wrote: So there's no lather anywhere in there, huh? :D
Eh, that's why I like the south, no snow. I'll just head to the forbidden, dark lands of Georgia if I want to see some.
Give me cold and bitter snow any day. ;) I like the snow. I'm planning on New York, Massachusetts, or Idaho for grad school. I miss my snow... :twisted: