Subjugation wiki suggestions/thoughts?

Caution: Spoilers!
All about the Subjugation, Insurrection, and Unification books.

Moderator: Sennadar Moderators

Forum rules
Please Read the forum rules.
Not a ID
Da'Shar

Subjugation wiki suggestions/thoughts?

Post by Not a ID »

I think specifying a minimum level of detail is counter-productive, as some accurate(or at least sourced) information is better than no information.

However, there probably is some level of information that most people would prefer not to encounter when pulling up a wiki article on a character or item. In particular as it relates to both direct spoilers and indirect spoilers.

Such as Kumi getting a wiki page her being listed as a Karrine or a Trillane.

Living/Dead status for certain KMS Officers, or their "current" rank for that matter. Comparable thing for KMS ships in general if someone starts trying to track that.

Or the more recent information as it relates to who is or is not a Generation for that matter.

I'm inclined to think that anything in a book that is currently incomplete exists solidly in spoiler territory and should be put behind spoiler disclaimers, and possibly with-held from any "bio pane" summary for any character that has one created(possible exception: characters who first appear in that book). What becomes a bit more fuzzy are the completed books.

Retribution Chapter 14, the last chapter for Retribution, posted on November 3rd, 2018, so it is just over a year old at this point. I'm inclined that say it is fair game given it has been more than a year already, but before I personally act on something like that, I'd like to hear feedback from others.
kyli
Mi'Shara

Re: Subjugation wiki suggestions/thoughts?

Post by kyli »

Not a ID wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 6:14 am Zaa almost did it, but Jason talked them out of doing it, as I understood things on my recent read-through.

But anyhow, further discussion on time-line issues for Subjugation should probably be done in the Subjugation forum, rather than in an announcement thread present in multiple forums. ;)
So a reply to this. I can almost swear Zaa sent those ships regardless of Jason trying to convince her otherwise. It's been so long since a reread but I almost can't be more sure of something then I am of that.

Edit: Ok so I went and found this in Inception 4.
Zaa intends to use a one-way wormhole to catapult the scout mission deep into intergalactic
space, to get a head start. I’m completely against it, but she won’t listen to me
, he sent sourly.
Seriously?
He nodded. She’s already built the wormhole system out of translation engines her techs
haven’t installed on ships yet. I wouldn’t be against it if it wasn’t so fuckin’ dangerous. I mean, I
can understand the need to get those scouts to Andromeda as fast as we can, but she’s flinging all
precaution to the wind here, and it rubs me raw. She’s risking the lives of her scouts, but she won’t
listen to reason.
I am pretty sure there is a scene where Zaa informs Jason that she safely got her 3 scout ships through but I couldn't find it.
"I got stabbed. After 10 days of agony, the sword died."
Not a ID
Da'Shar

Post by Not a ID »

Making me go dig a bit to verify my own claims. Can't find the statement about not using the wormhole on the scouts, but...

Conviction chapter 2:
Koira, 18 Kedaa, 4404, Faey Orthodox Calendar
Tuesday, 8 May 2018 Terran Standard Calendar
“How far away are your scouts from Andromeda?” he asked Zaa.
“They arrive at the edge of the galactic rim in 37 days,” she answered.
(in further context, prior to this, they were discussing the Benga having dropped out of Hyperspace while still in flat space, as that had just happened)

Inception Chapter 4 was dated:
Baetha (Midsummer’s Day), 4401, Faey Orthodox Calendar
Wednesday, 25 July 2014, Terran Standard Calendar

So they made the trip in just shy of 4 years instead of just over 5 years. Of course, the extra time on their end may have been from time-dilation. Hrm.

But it also seems the Benga took more than a year longer to arrive than initially estimated given:

Secession, Chapter 5:
Chiira, 28 Demaa, 4401, Orthodox Calendar
Saturday, 15 May 2014, Terran Standard Calendar
“Do not forget that the Benga are only three years away. I do not, and neither does anyone else on the council,” she added. “Because of them, your idea of a network of Stargates and interdictors has a great deal of potential to become reality.”
she = Sk’Vrae
Also Secession, Chapter 6:
Daira, 31 Demaa, 4401, Orthodox Calendar
Tuesday, 18 May 2014, Terran Standard Calendar
“I think I may have a few ideas,” Myleena said, rapping her fingers on the table. “Since we have three years before the Syndicate gets here, all of us over at 3D have been considering how to greet them. I think we could arrange something suitably traumatizing when they get here, a welcome to our galaxy, your heads will look wonderful mounted on our wall type of greeting.”
In chapter 6 they also discuss how the trip to Andromeda would take 5 years for them to accomplish, among other things.

Of course, the Secession "3 years" number may be using the Faey Calendar rather than ours, as 4404 is only 3 years removed from 4401(WTB: Wiki article on Faey Calendar). While May 2014 is 4 years removed from May 2018. But that still leaves open the question of whose "year" was being used in the "it'll take 5 years" to get to Andromeda comment.
kyli
Mi'Shara

Post by kyli »

There is some confusion expected. Remember, Fel had to edit the last inception and first 4 conviction chapters when it was pointed out that it shouldn't take 5 years to reach Andromeda. I think he used billion instead of million light years or something. Before the edits, there was nothing about flat space in the books. That's what he used to explain why travel between galaxy's takes so long compared to across the galaxy. So with changes like that that can potentially change the plot, dates might get moved around. Subjugation needs an editor and while I'm sure a few of us would be willing to help out, we need input from Fel for some things and he has shown no interest despite a few hints from us I've seen to do that.
Not a ID
Da'Shar

Post by Not a ID »

Ah, so the 5 years number still present is an editing oversight when the rest was corrected. Although that opens another different problem in that it indicates a disparity in real-time jump speeds even absent Mode 3. I always wondered if such a difference might exist, it could logically make sense up to certain top speed, but it has never been mentioned in the books so far. I guess ostensibly the retcon reason would be the differences wouldn't be "meaningful" until you start talking about intergalactic distances/long duration jumps.
kyli
Mi'Shara

Post by kyli »

Well it still takes 5 years in mode 2. Too much of the plot depends on this to change it. Flat space was introduced to solve the issue and mode 3 was made to ignore the dilation through flat space. Originally I think mode 3 travel to Andromeda was supposed to still take 3 months IIRC.

I was actually mostly using that as an example of how plans can change in a series resulting in a few inconsistencies. Those dayes were probably errors even before the edits.
Greymist
Weavespinner

Post by Greymist »

FYI, I installed the spoiler extension on the wiki, so you can now add spoilered content :)

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Spoilers