Question about Earth post Subjugation

Caution: Spoilers!
All about the Subjugation, Insurrection, and Unification books.

Moderator: Sennadar Moderators

Forum rules
Please Read the forum rules.
Belgarion213
Da'Shar

Question about Earth post Subjugation

Post by Belgarion213 »

So, I've been slowly rereading this series and a thought occured to me.

All the way back in Subjugation Chapter 1, when the omniscient narrator is talking about the Faey arrival, even before we meet Jason, it mentioned that when the Faey turned up and put everybody on farms, there was, obviously, massive upheaval. People running shops or doing service jobs found their jobs secure while business owners, landowners, and white-collar workers found themselves shipped off to a farm.

So at the end of Subjugation when Jason gets the Imperial help t take over management of Earth, and the abuses of the Faey Nobe house were stopped by the Marines...what happened to some of those people who lost everything in the Subjugation? We saw the political bodies were reinstated as best as they could be determined but what about companies/corporations etc? Obviously, some companies had no hope in hell of competing with the Faey and even if they could all their resources would have been stripped bare but were those people compensated in some way? Just told 'tough shit'?
Fel
Weavespinner

Re: Question about Earth post Subjugation

Post by Fel »

Odd that you mention this. You're going to see this subject get partially revisited in Revolution, and meet one of the farm workers that had his life destroyed by the Trillanes. Kevin Ball uses merge games as an escape from both his life and the trauma that hasn't faded even after ten years, and Jason will be investigating some curious side effects they discover in "hardcore gamers" like Kevin who are playing full merge simsense games, like Vanguard.

After I finish Revolution, you're going to see a small part of Kevin's life in the form of a short spin-off story. It won't be big or earth-shattering, something of a slice of life story revolving around his life both in and out of the game he plays.
Just another guy from the shallow end of the gene pool.
kyli
Mi'Shara

Post by kyli »

Looking forward to this. Been reading some books in the gamelit genre recently (and surprisingly to me, I actually liked them quite a bit). Sounds like this might be similar.
"I got stabbed. After 10 days of agony, the sword died."
kal
Katzh-dashi

Post by kal »

kyli wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 12:41 am Looking forward to this. Been reading some books in the gamelit genre recently (and surprisingly to me, I actually liked them quite a bit). Sounds like this might be similar.
I've been reading from this series lately too. Pretty good what I've read so far.
D.F. Thompson
Sorcerer

Post by D.F. Thompson »

Didn’t someone here start a story along similar lines but set down in Australia?
I know that the voices in my head aren't real.
But they do have some damned good ideas. = ~.^ =
dellstart
Child of Niami

Post by dellstart »

Guilty as charged . However , my co writer mum got sick and that , was the end of that . It was fun and the research was amazing .