Retribution, Chapter 13 [Spoilers]

Caution: Spoilers!
All about the Subjugation, Insurrection, and Unification books.

Moderator: Sennadar Moderators

Forum rules
Please Read the forum rules.
Belgarion213
Da'Shar

Retribution, Chapter 13 [Spoilers]

Post by Belgarion213 »

So Jason has had his confrontation with the board and has the spiders in play. Surprisingly, I think the fact that everything went along to plan is a surprise to a few people. I know at least I thought Jason would be stuck on the planet for a while, moving onto the next story.

Jason doing his Darth Vader impression (batting people around with TK, crushing their harts etc) was pretty scary. I can understand why he got rid of the implanted gestalt, but at the same time I kind of miss it.

It seems the Confederacy learned of the Consortium's peace treaty, so that's going to be interesting...though Jason seems to have overlooked the Energy Beings in his plan to lock them away far enough that they can't get back (remember, one of them could apparently travel from Andromeda to the Milky Way in pretty short timescale AND had at least sub-galactic clairvoyance and that was only one of their powers. We don't know what kind of powers the others have.
valinor89
Initiate

Re: Retribution, Chapter 13 [Spoilers]

Post by valinor89 »

I apreciate the mention on heat management of the gestalt and the solution he used to prevent more damage. I had not thought to use the same psy powers to cool the gestalt, then again Ciby also didn't. ;)
kyli
Mi'Shara

Post by kyli »

Belgarion213 wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:44 am It seems the Confederacy learned of the Consortium's peace treaty, so that's going to be interesting...though Jason seems to have overlooked the Energy Beings in his plan to lock them away far enough that they can't get back (remember, one of them could apparently travel from Andromeda to the Milky Way in pretty short timescale AND had at least sub-galactic clairvoyance and that was only one of their powers. We don't know what kind of powers the others have.
Just where does it say one of the Energy Beings was able to travel from Andromeda to the Milky Way? All 4 of the Energy Beings arrived on the ships that took 5 years to cross between the galaxies.
"I got stabbed. After 10 days of agony, the sword died."
Belgarion213
Da'Shar

Post by Belgarion213 »

Yeah, that was my error. Got the events mixed up.
expedient
Mi'Shara

Post by expedient »

I'm a little surprised the whole confrontation went off so smoothly that Jason was even able to "show off". I figured that he'd have to be a lot more "tricksy" to get away from the Benga. Nice touch with the overheating gestalt, it shows that the Karinnes can make technical mistakes when under pressure.

It is ironic that the threats he made about much more powerful groups existing in other galaxies as misdirection will probably end up panning out to be true.

I also liked the "world-mind" that the Parri have been hinting at making an appearance. I thought for sure that the feeling of dread was Jason experiencing clairvoyance of the Syndicate Board killing everyone on E Chaio just to get him. I was reading thinking, "No. No. No." and it turned out, "No." they aren't quite that unhinged.

The aftermath highlighted the danger that a few hundred years down the line the Generations might repeat the mistakes of the old Karinnes with aloof arrogance and looking to dominate over others. Much like the Faey in he first book. Hopefully Jason's attempts at implementing checks and balances works.
Represented by Senator Riyo Chuchi
Exskie
Initiate

Post by Exskie »

Title for this is "Retribution". My guess would be that the Syndicate leaders did not take the warning, and all died. And that would close the book...
Coderunner
Novice

Post by Coderunner »

You're probably right. I doubt the board will sign anything, even after being given such a scare. My guess is that this book will have one or two chapters left in it, then Fel will probably release a couple of chapters of another story, and then on to Revolution.
SYED
Child of Niami

Post by SYED »

I just had an epic idea, the advanced applications of telekinesis are manipulation of energy or other forces. The consortium is run by energy beings, can they be affected by a telekinetic? I wonder if their skills would be skilled by a master of kinesis!
.S.A.M.K.M
NSC
Katzh-dashi

Post by NSC »

I'm kinda bummed that the battle in the Board Room was so short and simplistic. It seemed way too easy for 1 human to waltz out of there, barely breaking a sweat.
Patsysusan
Talent

Post by Patsysusan »

NSC wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:17 pm I'm kinda bummed that the battle in the Board Room was so short and simplistic. It seemed way too easy for 1 human to waltz out of there, barely breaking a sweat.
He had both arms amputated after that. That’s not exactly barely breaking a sweat.
Belgarion213
Da'Shar

Post by Belgarion213 »

To be fair, he's half the benga and had the best infiltrators in two galaxies basically planning every single contingency, plus the cybernetic implants and the gestalt installed.

But yeah I thought the escape would be a bit longer.

I'm not sure I'd really be comfortable with manipulating the energy beings with telekinesis, though I suppose its no worse than affecting anybody else with telepathy. Bastards as they are, they are still living beings after all.

Jason seems relieved to have given up the gestalt but I can't help but think the having linked himself to the gestalt is going to have long-term effects. Part of that is my, now jossed, thought that Jason would escape the Benga homeworld by basically either being kidnapped by those multi-galactic races Fel has hinted to or becoming something akin to the B5 First ones / SG-1 Ascended / Q from ST. I know Jason has gestalted with Cybi a lot but he's never been directly wired into a gestalt machine before. With his Kimdori DNA (and the meddling that Cybi did a few books away to save Jason from the hemoriging that was happening because he was to powerful), I wonder if Jason is going to find his telekinetic/telepathic power boosted a bit due to some form of adaption.

I mean I don't think I want Jason to basically go Alma Wade from F.E.A.R or Tetsuro from Akira, but would be interesting to see him dealing with the side effects of his mission.
valinor89
Initiate

Post by valinor89 »

I wonder how prophetic Jason was when he mentioned the other unimaginable powerful races to the benga to scare them and how he might have to comfront them in the future himself. AFIK we have not had any mention of them in the books, only some references of the future arcs from Fel.
GotToGo
Da'Shar

Post by GotToGo »

valinor89 wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:06 pm I wonder how prophetic Jason was when he mentioned the other unimaginable powerful races to the benga to scare them and how he might have to comfront them in the future himself. AFIK we have not had any mention of them in the books, only some references of the future arcs from Fel.
You wonder! I believe "I wonder" should be removed and the balance to remain to be made as a statement. Thanks for bring it font and center. :D
Wolfee
Mi'Shara

Post by Wolfee »

Okay I have one issue with Chapter 13. If the gestalts in his arm got that hot that it killed his flesh, how is it that there no smoke or steam given off by his flesh? If the flesh was simmered at less than 212 degrees F (boiling), maybe I can see that kind of damage, he would have already been in serious trouble because of the temperature sustain by the blood moving through his arms... but all in all a good chapter.
Fel
Weavespinner

Post by Fel »

Because exposure to 80C can kill flesh, and that's below boiling.

Hell, remember that pic I posted a couple of years ago of the massive blistering on my hand from a spilled bowl of soup? That soup wasn't boiling. It was about 90C, very close to it. If it had been past boiling, the burn would have been much worse.

You can get second degree burns from water that's 65C, if you dunk your hands in a pot of it and keep them there for a minute.
Just another guy from the shallow end of the gene pool.