Retribution, chapter 5, (spoilers)

Caution: Spoilers!
All about the Subjugation, Insurrection, and Unification books.

Moderator: Sennadar Moderators

Forum rules
Please Read the forum rules.
SYED
Child of Niami

Retribution, chapter 5, (spoilers)

Post by SYED »

I loved the epic ground battle, all I could think was just how long until this battle will end up on Vamguard. It is the sole ground battle that the whole confederation took part in. There must be tons of recorded material concerning the battle, scans and sensor readings. The accumulated data would make an epic battle ground for gamers.

I have been wondering about the various mental gifts. Empathy is a rare gift, but does it have any value. We know there are races immune or resistant to telepathy, would this extend to empathy? That would dramatically increase the value of this gift. Empathy seems to be dependent on a different aspect of the mental gift, than just telepathy.

We know they are gonna move every dreamer off the moon, what if they take benga as well? They could limit it to just the telepathic members. It seems like the expedition and this holding would be the greatest concentration of telepaths of the syndicate. It would mess with their personnel logistics. If they can't supply telepaths for their needs, it could make them vulnerable.

They are gonna regret sending that fleet. It might not be defeated but it is definitely gonna suffer. The benga will experience a lot of long range bombardment. The thing is the Karrines also have months to prepare for the fleet to be dealt with. They could even do another anti matter storm, this time letting the system burn. That would be a huge statement to the benga, we can kill your fleets whole sale and you can't stop us,
.S.A.M.K.M
imthejman85
Sorcerer

Re: Retribution, chapter 5, (spoilers)

Post by imthejman85 »

I'm thinking about 10 big ass ships with GRAF cannons that can jump through interdiction. If push came to shove they could probably wipe out most of that fleet before they even got to the system, one little potshot at a time.

I can't wait until Feel introduces us all to that Benga Mecha pilot though. Who's with me?
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. -George Orwell
Rakshasa claw
Initiate

Post by Rakshasa claw »

He already did. That mecha pilot has to be the one whose POV Fel showed during Chapter 4.
SYED
Child of Niami

Post by SYED »

Do the benga know that some of the confederation is not limited by interdiction and a lot of the races involved can at least jump out of the effect? That could be deeply suprising to the fleet, they might not be expecting up close battle.

I think the whole surrender to fight another day is dependent on the enemy not moving them off planet. I wonder what would be the result of a penal colony of pow outside syndicate influence.
.S.A.M.K.M
GotToGo
Da'Shar

Post by GotToGo »

Syed,

They already have a penal planet of POWs outside Benga control, made up from those captured from the Benga's first invasion fleet.
GotToGo
Da'Shar

Post by GotToGo »

A few thoughts:
1. From chapter 4 - Gen seems like a normal guy in the service, but didn't care much for Benga rulers and upper casts. Just a guy doing his job to the best of his abilities, was soon to retire from service, and looked forward to it plus not having to put up all the bull sh*t. Jason has thoughts that all Benga are not worth saving, wonder if he is going to find some thing different with Gen and the normal Benga? Could it lead to fostering a civil war within the Benga?

2. Remember what happened to the first Benga fleet that was interdicted - the toys, solar collector shots,GRAF cannons shots, etc. caused the to surrender. The Dreamers are on a moon, it would be interesting to know how many of the moon size Benga ships population equals the Dreamers population? Wonder if the more common Benga on those inbound ships will rebel against their rulers after witnessing massive destruction during their time inbound and being order to persevere and continue on? A future civil war scenario?

3. Wondering how soon till the Gate or Gates are up and the Dreamers are moving to their new plant? Also, how will they like it and how they will relate to Jason?

4. What I do know; that is Fel's going to surprise us all!!!!!
MartinK
Da'Shar

Post by MartinK »

Rakshasa claw wrote:He already did. That mecha pilot has to be the one whose POV Fel showed during Chapter 4.
That guy was in space. Do you really think he would run away from the fight up above to - again - fight the same fight on the planet? Despite the fact that you essentially control the planet if you have ships in orbit capable of raining death down on you and you can't touch them?

As if the fleet up above was incompetent enough to let reinforcements down to the planet.

Nope, two entirely different people.
What does a signature tell us about a person that has a signature significantly longer than the text he posted in his last post?
SYED
Child of Niami

Post by SYED »

They likely let small craft and escape pods retreat to the moon, to make it easier to secure local space, and identity beings positions on the surface.
.S.A.M.K.M
kyli
Mi'Shara

Post by kyli »

MartinK wrote:
Rakshasa claw wrote:He already did. That mecha pilot has to be the one whose POV Fel showed during Chapter 4.
That guy was in space. Do you really think he would run away from the fight up above to - again - fight the same fight on the planet? Despite the fact that you essentially control the planet if you have ships in orbit capable of raining death down on you and you can't touch them?

As if the fleet up above was incompetent enough to let reinforcements down to the planet.

Nope, two entirely different people.
I have to agree with Rakshasa claw. That guy is definately Gen. I figured since the end of chapter 4 that he would run into and fight either Jason or Kyva and that he would surprise them with his skill but would still loose. I had my bets on him fighting Jason though.

In any case, the fight in space is pretty much over at that point and the syndicate mecha are built more for ground combat. Fel also said that Gen was still alive in the chapter 4 spoiler page. I'm sure that once the ground invasion began, all syndicate mecha were recalled to defend the city since they were next to useless against Confederate ships in space.
"I got stabbed. After 10 days of agony, the sword died."
GotToGo
Da'Shar

Post by GotToGo »

Your got it Kyli!

As Fel posted: Re: Retribution, chapter 4, (spoilers)
Postby Fel » Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:53 pm
"You will see Gen again. He's too much of a soldier and too good at what he does to die so easily."

Which lead me to my thoughts posted yesterday. Sorry Martink and Syed.
Omegano
Initiate

Post by Omegano »

Yeah... Syndicate central command were idiots. It was probably a semi-panicked decision that they know they will come to regret, but it was a REALLY stupid decision. They KNOW about the GRAF cannons and have at least some idea of what they are capable of doing. With some basic math and conservative estimates, you can figure that with 8 GRAF equipped ships... firing once every 15 minutes for 4 months... using the Terran calendar that would be about 92 thousand shots. The Faey/Confederate calendar would make that number higher. With JUST the GRAF cannons, over that time, the KMS can take out around half the fleet, with no risk. Or at least every single super ship in the fleet. That fleet is nearly a non-issue, especially once you realize the whole "hyperspace weapons at them" thing. After 4 months of constant battering, there isn't going to be much left once they finally arrive...
Go ahead. Ask me any question, but if it needs logic or intelligence, you will want to ask that brain thingie that lives in in my head instead.
SYED
Child of Niami

Post by SYED »

Those super ships are very powerful, won't their detonation cause damage to the other ships in the fleet? Even if they disperse the fleet, it risks them being vulnerable to close up attacks. At least together they can share targeting and weapon firing.

The benga have the suprising powerful anti matter missiles, when will the confederation gain access to the tech?

What happens if ships start to surrender? Seeing multiple super ships destroyed would be terrible for morale. Knowing they are trapped without any hope of escape.
Imagine after they evacuate the moon, they unleash another anti matter storm, sure to wipe the system clean of ships.
.S.A.M.K.M
kyli
Mi'Shara

Post by kyli »

The question is, will the Karinnes destroy those ships or will they just let them come to find an abandoned system. The Confederation might not want to fight anymore than they need to for fear that it will begin a endless war with the syndicate. They might hold the Karinnes back and hope negotiations will be successful. Personally, i think even Jason is underestimating his own military power in a long war. The syndicate doesnt stand a chance in such a war unless they get a heck of a lot better at adapting..... or another intergalactic superpower shows up. :o
SYED
Child of Niami

Post by SYED »

I am pretty sure the fleet in already in system or just about to enter.

While the confederation does not want a war, they do want to send a statement to the syndicate.
.S.A.M.K.M
kyli
Mi'Shara

Post by kyli »

SYED wrote:I am pretty sure the fleet in already in system or just about to enter.

While the confederation does not want a war, they do want to send a statement to the syndicate.
The fleet is 4 months away. Thats enough time to evacuate and pull out of the system. As for making a statement, i think they've just finished doing that. Of course, if i were them, I'd destroy those ships too. I'm sure they could get quite a lot of them to surrender once they realized they were just targets out there. Especially if they used the Kimdori at fleet headquarters to mark all the ships with QE communications back to headquarters so that they can be taken out and jam all other communications to cut them off from their HQ.