Retribution, chapter 2, (spoilers)

Caution: Spoilers!
All about the Subjugation, Insurrection, and Unification books.

Moderator: Sennadar Moderators

Forum rules
Please Read the forum rules.
SYED
Child of Niami

Retribution, chapter 2, (spoilers)

Post by SYED »

With all this IP armor, it makes me wonder what if they gave rail gun ammo a version of it? Sure it would still be destroyed, but even if it can maintain intact for a minuscule moment, it would greatly enhance its destructive capability. Jason once talked about making a giant rail gun, so the am or could have cloaking and steering systems in it. So it could be used to take out the super ships.

I am sure the empress will extend the protection of the imperium for the dreamers against the other races due to their shared heritage. The thing is that the noble houses could still cause trouble. So what if she convinced the religious orders to declare their own protection over the dreamers. They believe their telepathic powers from the gods, so I am betting precogs have a special place in their society and religion. Since precogs usually go insane, I wonder if their is a an order who cares for them, and records/preserve their predictions.
The houses could still cause trouble, but this could allow the empress to punish in a whole new manner. The threat could keep the nobles in check.
.S.A.M.K.M
artreus
Sorcerer

Re: Retribution, chapter 2, (spoilers)

Post by artreus »

i rather wonder how long till this tech is caught by some spies ,
since its in the public domain by now ,

the only defense against that is that equiping a Benga Supership with IP would probably take a year
artreus
Sorcerer

Post by artreus »

on the other hand, to make a decent defense against the megatron, they only have to protect the main shafts with IP armor , if the improved armour would stand up against the megatron, if not , stealing the tech would be useless anyway
SYED
Child of Niami

Post by SYED »

I am pretty sure the teryon weapon technology is one of the few exceptions that can piece IP armor technology. Is there a list of the systems that can work against this enhanced defence? I am pretty sure most karrine weapons can pierce it, but there are likely races with no weapons able to work against it.
Can this defence be scaled down for personal armor? I was thinking the telekinetic abilities they are developing, are one of the few things able to piece the armor.
.S.A.M.K.M
Fel
Weavespinner

Post by Fel »

SYED wrote:I am pretty sure the teryon weapon technology is one of the few exceptions that can piece IP armor technology. Is there a list of the systems that can work against this enhanced defence? I am pretty sure most karrine weapons can pierce it, but there are likely races with no weapons able to work against it.
Can this defence be scaled down for personal armor? I was thinking the telekinetic abilities they are developing, are one of the few things able to piece the armor.
Weapons that ignore three dimension physics work against IP armor.

Those are weapons like pulse weapons (teryon), disruptor weapons, Torsion weapons, and to a lesser extent, MPAC weapons, because they attack all quantum states simultaneously and can overload the IP matrix much faster than other three-dimensional weapons. Most other weapons are absorbed by the IP, including some of the heaviest hitters in the Confederation, particle beam weapons and both Imperium and Coalition plasma torpedoes.

Other phased weaponry can also overload an IP faster than conventional weaponry, but most of them don't have anywhere near the power of an MPAC, nor are they metaphased. Metaphased means that an MPAC has an order of magnitude more phased states than a standard phased weapon, and thus exponentially more power when every phased state can attack the same singular state, which is what the IP does. The IP system exists in a singular state across all quantum phases, but that also means that every single phase of the MPAC hits the IP with a combined total greater than the sum of its parts, which makes the weapon exponentially more powerful against IP than other types of phased weaponry.
Just another guy from the shallow end of the gene pool.
SYED
Child of Niami

Post by SYED »

I was thinking the dreamers have a larger number of precogs, even though they have faey ancestry. This leads me to wonder if the other mental gifts are more prevalent as well. I doubt it would be true for telekinesis, if the dreamers were telekinetic in larger numbers, that would have been mentioned by now. Even if their ability is limited, a capable telekinetic would be a huge risk. But what about empathy, that could be hidden as an aspect of telepathy. The faey do have that skill in very minuscule numbers. The only other mention of empathy is the colonists.
Look at the Tabi, a minor use of empathy has made them invaluable service animals. Even if empathy is a limited mental gift, in the right situation it would still be invaluable. It would help make sense of th extreme security precautions the benga force on the oracles. They might be able to combat the dreamers telepathic skills, but they could be vulnerable to the empathy. Just like the only counter to a telepath is another telepath, the only counter to an empath is another empath.

The Karrines can shields against MPAC, and they have the torsion diffuser. So they would only be potentially vulnerable against disrupter and pulse weaponry. So I could see the next defensive project would be to diminish the threat of these weapon systems. They would also be working on all these weapon systems, to enhance their own and make them capable of dealing with enemy IP armor if necessary.

Will we ever see a project dedicated to that other alternate FTL system? It was a catapult that altered the mass of the ship by encasing it with an energy field that would eventually decay. In that energy field, they are immune to many weapon systems.
Look at what they developed by exploring hyperspace, hyper light and wormholes. If hyperspace engines could be developed into a catapult, then the negative mass catapult could be made into an engine/ship based unit. Who knows what could be learned or achieved from exploring this technology.
.S.A.M.K.M