Retribution, chapter 1, (spoilers)

Caution: Spoilers!
All about the Subjugation, Insurrection, and Unification books.

Moderator: Sennadar Moderators

Forum rules
Please Read the forum rules.
kyli
Mi'Shara

Re: Retribution, chapter 1, (spoilers)

Post by kyli »

GotToGo wrote: Kyli,
Is the potential genocide of the Dreamers not big and scary enough?
We were already partly aware of the potential genocide of the Dreamers when the question was asked. In any case, i'm fairly certain the plan to save the dreamers will succeed. Plus the question, and the anwser is persumably directly in reference to a crisis that will happen to the Karinnes, and maybe even on Karis itself. I have to wonder though, if its in any way related to the vision Aria had of Jyslin where she has a mask. In the vision, Aria takes off the mask but doesnt remember what she see's. Jyslin puts it back on and tells her she will underatand when she's older. That makes me think that this vision will happen soon since Aria is presumably young in the vision. It might not be related but i wonder.......
"I got stabbed. After 10 days of agony, the sword died."
SYED
Child of Niami

Post by SYED »

They might be aware of a threat, but due to the metaphorical nature of the dreams, they are unsure of who or how it would be achieved. The only threat in andromeda is the consortiums as they can see any of the syndicate threatening their advantage.
.S.A.M.K.M
Tuga555
Sorcerer

Post by Tuga555 »

[quote="kyli]
When's the monkey wrench gonna hit?" He replied, "lol, yes, there's one coming. It's big. And scary.." I had that in the back of my mind throughout the entire chapter and will continue to think about it until the monkey wrench drops, so to speak. [/quote]

Umm! Ahm!
Cyrsi going rogue?
SYED
Child of Niami

Post by SYED »

I wonder how many psyionic capable animals are out there. Before we only heard of it being in sentient beings. I wonder if these creatures are evolutionarily advanced, or could potentially be uplifted in the future. Are the gifts exhibited by the animals variants of the existing mental gifts or do they offer alternatives to the existing ability?

I am expecting something big and bad to happen, but for some reason a part of me doubts it is the elimination of the dreamers. It seems just too obvious to me, so I suspect something is going to come out the shadows. The issue is how can the benga affect the confederation from all the way in andromeda. All their forces had surrendered, and currently being disarmed
Do we know how the main dreamer population perceives the oracles? Even is some of the oracles have some kind of weird loyalty to the benga, being released from never ending nightmares have to get some general good will from all. The dreamers are said to be highly divided, but the oracles themselves could act as a unifying force.
.S.A.M.K.M
SoronelHaetir
Katzh-dashi

Post by SoronelHaetir »

Given the short life of an oracle (remember they are killed when they wake up talent-wise and also kept physically asleep) I have a hard time believing they can be any sort of unifying force for the Dreamers. And given how they are hunted at such an early age by the Benga I equally have a hard time seeing any Dreamer faction managing to hide a population of awake oracles.

The Benga both fear the oracles and care about as much for the Dreamers as a rancher does his cattle. Killing an entire village of Dreamers would likely be a good trade for nabbing a single oracle, at least according to Benga thinking.

I'm guessing the Dreamers in the Benga city are allowed no contact with the remaining population, even if they are not kept in the coma-state that Aria was held in.
SYED
Child of Niami

Post by SYED »

A secret conspiracy might explain why they are so good at retaining telepathic info, it was the only secure method of teaching they had left.
.S.A.M.K.M
SoronelHaetir
Katzh-dashi

Post by SoronelHaetir »

I just don't see any such conspiracy being oracle-led. There is reason to believe that Aria's retention of the early childhood teaching was not because she later turned out to be an oracle but simply because she is a Dreamer. I say that because that teaching was imparted long before she woke up to even the oracular power, let alone normal telepathic power (as she still hasn't done that even now, although it should happen soon).

However, militating against the existence of such a conspiracy are the conditions all Dreamers are kept in, subsistence farming is a _very_ hard life, even more so with the methods the Dreamers are forced to use for that farming. Wide-ranging conspiracy requires being able to free at least some folks from the daily grind of survival. I suspect that any such fraction of the Dreamer population are those in power in each Dreamer faction (priests, kings and the like). And those are exactly the folks who would be opposed to the very existence of such a conspiracy as it would entail cooperation with nearby 'enemy' populations.
Tuga555
Sorcerer

Post by Tuga555 »

SoronelHaetir wrote:I just don't see any such conspiracy being oracle-led. There is reason to believe that Aria's retention of the early childhood teaching was not because she later turned out to be an oracle but simply because she is a Dreamer. I say that because that teaching was imparted long before she woke up to even the oracular power, let alone normal telepathic power (as she still hasn't done that even now, although it should happen soon).

However, militating against the existence of such a conspiracy are the conditions all Dreamers are kept in, subsistence farming is a _very_ hard life, even more so with the methods the Dreamers are forced to use for that farming. Wide-ranging conspiracy requires being able to free at least some folks from the daily grind of survival. I suspect that any such fraction of the Dreamer population are those in power in each Dreamer faction (priests, kings and the like). And those are exactly the folks who would be opposed to the very existence of such a conspiracy as it would entail cooperation with nearby 'enemy' populations.
Although i agree with most of what you said, there still could be an "organization of shamans", awakened oracles, neutral and respected "keepers of the knowledge" if you will, working in the shadows, implementing long range tactics like "blessing the newborns", i.e imprinting knowledge in newborns, etc etc.
I say this because a race of "oracles" should be riddled with omens and prophecies, more so, because the focus of the entire race is in they're freedom and with all the suffering they had, should help the power of the best oracles, they must have prophecies, they must know something is coming, they must be waiting for the DAY!
Well it could be something like, The day the dragon screams in the sky and in the shadows of its wings some of us will turn blue, or some other strange image.
SYED
Child of Niami

Post by SYED »

How exactly do they locate oracles? Do they track bloodlines, have children tested or use other oracles to locate them? We know the race is all telepathic, but I think only a portion are precogs. Would they take every one with a hint of the talent or would they limit it to a certain level of strength?

We all assume there is another way for oracles to make predictions, apart from enduring endless nightmares. So that way their talents can be used by house karrine. Say the benga only take oracles of a certain strength, the lesser oracle could some how combine their efforts using some kind of alternate method to make up for the lack of strength. That way they could potentially participate in a conspiracy.
.S.A.M.K.M
CRYUnicornClear
Initiate

Post by CRYUnicornClear »

I was unclear if there were other Dreamers on ships and if so will they see the plan and what impact they may still have? Even if there is still 1 Dreamer out there that could cause alot of problems. I believe thy Oye fruit and tree helps block some of these effects I wonder if there would be some effect of dreamers eating the fruit and what the Pyra have to say about it.
SYED
Child of Niami

Post by SYED »

I could see the Parri growing trees to help heal the spirit of the dreamers, from all the damage inflicted by the benga.
.S.A.M.K.M
GotToGo
Da'Shar

Post by GotToGo »

I expect the Pari will feel the new Tabis and want to visit together. How do think it will go, good or bad?
kyli
Mi'Shara

Post by kyli »

GotToGo wrote:I expect the Pari will feel the new Tabis and want to visit together. How do think it will go, good or bad?
I would say it would go good.

Now about the IBL and the Karis Paladins. The last time we heard about how they were doing was when they stomped their opponents in the season opener. That was quite a while ago. The upcoming NHL season has brought out a bit of the sports fan in me. :wink: :)
"I got stabbed. After 10 days of agony, the sword died."
SYED
Child of Niami

Post by SYED »

I just realised something cool, the dreamers are extremely good at receiving and retaining information telepathic ly, and being the only viable precog race. They need that memory advantage, to ensure they remember everything they can from the dreams.
.S.A.M.K.M
Hello World
Initiate

Post by Hello World »

Fel wrote: If they can't free the Dreamers, they have to kill them. They absolutely cannot allow the Syndicate to keep control of the Oracles. or the war with the Syndicate will never end.

Actually, this makes a lot more sense than the other explanation (since even if somebody else is pushing the button, if Jason swoops in and rescues all of the Oracles at the last moment, that would be forseen anyways). If plan succeeds (in the predictions), then the oracles must have either not forseen doom or kept their mouths shut. If plan doesn't succeed, then the predictions will show destruction.

kyli wrote: In the vision, Aria takes off the mask but doesnt remember what she see's. Jyslin puts it back on and tells her she will underatand when she's older. That makes me think that this vision will happen soon since Aria is presumably young in the vision.
Huh, I always thought that vision referred to the fact that Jyslin has to hide her "true self" as a Generation from everybody else.

Also, did anybody else notice that Rook and Myleena are going down the route of creating nanomachines that can break down organic matter? That's something that could probably be on the top 100 causes of an apocalypse in a sci-fi novel list.