Retribution, potential ideas

Caution: Spoilers!
All about the Subjugation, Insurrection, and Unification books.

Moderator: Sennadar Moderators

Forum rules
Please Read the forum rules.
kyli
Mi'Shara

Re: Retribution, potential ideas

Post by kyli »

GotToGo wrote:Does Anyone know when Fel believes he will start writing 'Retribution'. Thanks in advance.
He hasnt said anything about when he plans on returning. I suspect he will return after Earth Bond simply because Subjugation seems to have be his main project for the past decade and he usually returns to it after writing a book (or less) in another story. This is just speculation. And we have no idea when he'll be finished with Earth Bond. The book is already nearly as long as Subjugation book 1 if not longer and that book is a monster. I also dont know if Earth Bond will turn into a series. I would be interested in the answer to both questions.
"I got stabbed. After 10 days of agony, the sword died."
Fel
Weavespinner

Post by Fel »

I'm looking at possibly 2 more chapters in Earth Bond, working through the main plot arcs and setting up for the next phase of the story, and MOST LIKELY I'll be returning to do Retribution.

I'm not absolutely 100% sure yet.
Just another guy from the shallow end of the gene pool.
NSC
Katzh-dashi

Post by NSC »

I enjoy all the different stories, but am wondering if Walker will ever be completed?
Fel
Weavespinner

Post by Fel »

Eventually yes.
Just another guy from the shallow end of the gene pool.
NSC
Katzh-dashi

Post by NSC »

Cool. Meanwhile, I'll enjoy everything in between.
GotToGo
Da'Shar

Post by GotToGo »

Fel wrote:I'm looking at possibly 2 more chapters in Earth Bond, working through the main plot arcs and setting up for the next phase of the story, and MOST LIKELY I'll be returning to do Retribution.

Thanks Fel; Love all you do, just that 'Subjugation' is something really special!
SYED
Child of Niami

Post by SYED »

So I am guessing we will have another time skip for the new story. It would probally start just before the arrival of the consortium colony fleet. While larger than the syndicate fleet in numbers, the locals would all be fitted with torsion diffusers in their ships, as well as their own version of inter phased armor. Unlike the the syndicates, they are far more dependent on the torsion weapon systems, so their offensive capabilities have been largely removed.

They would have had time to plan where and how the colony fleet would be dealt with, possibly even preparing planets to recieve new settlers. The colony fleet would have brought a wider scientific and technological database than a military force. Look at what the Karrines have shared with the academy salvaged from enemy ships and computers. The thing is I think the consortium is aware and capable of producing a working FTL system, so they could at some point deploy that or share it with the syndicates. The indictor technology is exceptionally useful in campaigns against the enemy, but even a slow FTL system would be a huge counter, if it allows them to tactically remove ships from indictored space or enter it. It was said to be so,e kind of mass altering energy field I think. The biggest long term threat is the introduction of more energy beings, while they can be limited by the shamans, they could still be trouble.

During the short peace, jack interface tech, bionoids be used and interphase do armor and torsion diffusers would have spread to every allied ship. The confederation and coalition has likely grown, they might not match the enemy in sheer numbers but they definitly would be capable of punching above their weight class. The Karrines would have outfitted their whole fleet with their viable intergalactic engines, as well as set up a number of wormhole portal stations, allowing for planetary and space based mini wormholes not dependent on a set of pair gates. Jason himself might have progressed further along the path of shamans. We will also see the effects of more non Karrine generations out in the universe.

I have long wondered if they could make an improved system to reach the dreams of the oracles, via jack interfaces enhancing the mind and machine link as well as an enhanced virtual reality. Now I wonder could the dreamers benefit from the teachings of the shamans. The shamans were aware of far more than most, this might aid the oracles awareness of the future.
I wonder if they have yet assaulted the dreamers prison or are they yet in the planning stages. We know there is apparently another benga fleet being prepared, set to arrive after the upcoming colony fleet. So if the dreamers are dealt with quickly, that fleet could be peacefully turned back, ordered by their commands who are forced to deal in a universe where they can't depend on precogs to aid them.
The general plan was to create a disaster so terrible that the dreamers would see all syndicate forces in their system destroyed, forcing the benga to flee and leave the dreamers to be destroyed. Then when they are removed as a threat, an indictor field would be set up and a stargate set. The dreamers would then be evacuated back to allied space, denying the benga an invaluable resource forcing them to at least temporarily put their expansionist plans on the back burned. They likely would try to find ways around it, but with star gates and the intergalactic engines, the Karrines and kimdori could potentially keep them in check. So the disaster needs to be so,etching they can control at any time, an extra ordinary fake out or simply a way to move an entire species between galaxies at super speed.
.S.A.M.K.M
Wolfee
Mi'Shara

Post by Wolfee »

Fel wrote:I'm looking at possibly 2 more chapters in Earth Bond, working through the main plot arcs and setting up for the next phase of the story, and MOST LIKELY I'll be returning to do Retribution.

I am ready for the next book to start!
Exskie
Initiate

Post by Exskie »

Personally, I would really hoping you would return to Retribution / Subjugation. Thank you very much for your writing, bringing your fans the joy of growing with Jason and the Karinnes.
Tuga555
Sorcerer

Post by Tuga555 »

I've been rereading Subjugation and had just a small idea.
What would happen if you add a normal ftl drive and a CMS system to those captured uber Benga missiles and slam them against a Benga super ship? Put an (AP core/teryon burst shaped charge) to help penetration? Attach one or two (depending of the final size) to a frigate and you have and "efective submarine" with an "efective torpedo" that can kill silently the Benga super ships.

Another final thing, let me quote a passage of inception that might shed some small light on the Oracle/Fey/Terran myths.

“There’s an old myth about a race of giants that existed before the Faey, and I’ve decided to name this ship after them. So this ship will be known as the Ijara,” she replied, using the Faey word for those old mythological beings that most closely translated to the English word titan. That old myth, oddly enough, shared similarities with myths from several other species across the sector, all of which appeared in those species’ mythology or history at around the same time. That hinted that a race of giant-sized spacefaring beings might have gone through the sector and visited multiple planets some 40,000 years ago. They couldn’t be the Benga, however, since the titans from Faey myth were said to be significantly taller than the average Benga, some 50 shakra tall, or 60 feet tall or around 18 meters tall."
kyli
Mi'Shara

Post by kyli »

Tuga555 wrote: Another final thing, let me quote a passage of inception that might shed some small light on the Oracle/Fey/Terran myths.

“There’s an old myth about a race of giants that existed before the Faey, and I’ve decided to name this ship after them. So this ship will be known as the Ijara,” she replied, using the Faey word for those old mythological beings that most closely translated to the English word titan. That old myth, oddly enough, shared similarities with myths from several other species across the sector, all of which appeared in those species’ mythology or history at around the same time. That hinted that a race of giant-sized spacefaring beings might have gone through the sector and visited multiple planets some 40,000 years ago. They couldn’t be the Benga, however, since the titans from Faey myth were said to be significantly taller than the average Benga, some 50 shakra tall, or 60 feet tall or around 18 meters tall."
You aren't the first to bring this up. We have known for a while that the faey and terrans were related and that the faey were transplanted from Terra to Draconis. The new information is that the Dreamers were also transplanted at the same time and taken to another galaxy which may or may not have been a long trip. This confirmed my suspicion that this race most likely are an extra galactic race and are capable of intergalactic travel. So they might still be out there. But are they friend or foe!?!? :twisted: :evil:
"I got stabbed. After 10 days of agony, the sword died."
Wolfee
Mi'Shara

Post by Wolfee »

I would appreciate a list of the measurements and how they compare to earth measurements.
SYED
Child of Niami

Post by SYED »

We know there are other abilities in the faey telepathy package, telekinesis, empathy and clairvoyance I think. If who ever transported the dreams to a new galaxy, altered them to make such a dormant gift so much more capable as precognition, did they do the same for other gifts?
.S.A.M.K.M
GotToGo
Da'Shar

Post by GotToGo »

kyli wrote:
Fel doesnt really update that much on twitter. Sometimes he will give us an few updates and sometimes he won't. For example, until yesterday, i hadnt seen any update on twitter since before chapter 26 of Earth Bond was released. Yesterday he surprised me by tweeting that he is already 5 pages into Retribution. I'm just explaining that he doesnt give us updates all that much.
From another group in the forums. Believe everyone should give Kyli many thanks from all of us! I'll start thanks Kyli for all you do.
SYED
Child of Niami

Post by SYED »

I think there will be a time skip, jumping to just before the consortium colonial fleet arrives, but can any one provide confirmation. That would make it a couple of years from the end of the previous installment.
.S.A.M.K.M