Conviction chapter 13

Caution: Spoilers!
All about the Subjugation, Insurrection, and Unification books.

Moderator: Sennadar Moderators

Forum rules
Please Read the forum rules.
SYED
Child of Niami

Re: Conviction chapter 13

Post by SYED »

We know that in some cases the original retrovirus can be reborn in generations, I wonder if a similar event could occur with the dreamers. Who knows what the effect of combining these unique genetic patterns?
.S.A.M.K.M
Belgarion213
Da'Shar

Post by Belgarion213 »

MartinK wrote:
I wonder how aggressive the Faey military acts in getting their hands on especially strong Faey for them to be successful enough to gather so many of them. Any Faey house should have at least an internal policy of finding those strong ones among the populations of the worlds they control as early as possible and act to cultivate those kids by offering various benefits to see them grow into adults with personal connections to the house. And I'm sure you don't need to start a dedicated breeding program to just throw the strongly gifted into encounters with others of similar strength or keep a database about families that tend to have strong kids.
Honestly this probably comes back to the Faey individual selfishness. Faey are, as is brought up many times in the books, very selfish creatures. They are selfless for small groups (aka Jyslin defected from the Marines because Jason was their enemy) but on the whole, on average, they act in their own best interest.

As mentioned by Jason, the way the Faey system works is that there is a lot of patronage and deals going on. If you want to get the best jobs, then you need to have money...or connections (which frequently result from having money). If you don't have those connections, the Military (either the Imperial Forces or the various house forces) are right there and willing to take you on. They pay well as well. Various Faey haven't been able to go to the best universities, for example IIRC Jyslin went to the Marines because she didn't have the connections to get into University despite how smart she actually is.

Then of course there is the fact that girls of a certain telepathic strength level are all but conscripted, either for the Military or for Mind Bending. Jyslin was powerful enoguh for that but didn't have the temperament, as was Yana. (I wonder how Myleena, who was probably the strongest Faey in the imperium until the birth of her or Yana's daughter, handled it. I mean she WAS black ops.)
SYED
Child of Niami

Post by SYED »

We know all generations are telekinetic, but do we know how common it is amongst the humans telepaths and the feay of exile. Those are the descendants of those who were exposed to the retrovirus but did not become generations. We know the Karrines had a breeding program, was it just for the nobles or the whole house? I could see the Karrines not only breeding with the strongest telepaths, but those that demonstrates viable telekinesis. It would explain why all generations are telekinetic, they were able to breed th ability so much that it is inseparable from telepathy. In fact it makes me wonder how many of the telekinetic faey are in fact the descendant of karrine commoners. The kimdori were unable to track those bloodlines.
.S.A.M.K.M
GotToGo
Da'Shar

Post by GotToGo »

Did anyone pickup what Aria told Jason - "I just wanted to be free of the nightmare,” she said. “I had a dream, that you would come and end the nightmare and take me away, ."?

There is a very big difference between nightmares and dreams - significant?

"take me to a place by the sea where they couldn’t find me" - are we seeing one of the benefits that the Oye Trees give the Pari and Jason?
SYED
Child of Niami

Post by SYED »

The shamans were able to lay down some kind of protections on ships to hide them from the energy beings. It was based around the plants used in environmental systems I think. Since they defeated the consortium fleet, have they continued to protect their newest ships.

In some sci fi series, there are ships with literal gardens and portable miniature Eco systems. Imagine one that has Oye trees in it. It would be a cool academy project, a large scale space habitat potentially one that is mobile. If they can make ships the size of small planets, they can create some of the theorized large scale habitats.
.S.A.M.K.M
GotToGo
Da'Shar

Post by GotToGo »

Another item I've not seen - I am looking forward to the meeting between Aria and the Pari Shaman.
GotToGo
Da'Shar

Post by GotToGo »

SYED wrote:The shamans were able to lay down some kind of protections on ships to hide them from the energy beings. It was based around the plants used in environmental systems I think. Since they defeated the consortium fleet, have they continued to protect their newest ships.

In some sci fi series, there are ships with literal gardens and portable miniature Eco systems. Imagine one that has Oye trees in it. It would be a cool academy project, a large scale space habitat potentially one that is mobile. If they can make ships the size of small planets, they can create some of the theorized large scale habitats.
Aren't you suggesting another use of the Benga's giant ships captured?
SYED
Child of Niami

Post by SYED »

A large amount of the ship using benga tech is engines and the power systems to sustain it. Only karine tech would free up enough space to make it more viable platform for an eco system.
.S.A.M.K.M
johnnieholic
Talent

Post by johnnieholic »

[quote="SYED"]A large amount of the ship using benga tech is engines and the power systems to sustain it. Only karine tech would free up enough space to make it more viable platform for an eco system.[/quote]

I don't think the trees would grow in benga ships. If you asked the Pari i would bet they would call the ships soulless, evil things, not just because of what they are but because of who built them and what they were built for.
SYED
Child of Niami

Post by SYED »

Huge construction is a big investment, the moon base simplifies large warship construction. While I bet they could create something similar, it would take time and lots of resources. I wonder if it is possible to mimic the tech seen in Troy rising series, where they inflated an asteroid into a mobile battle station. They would tunnel to the center of the rock, and make the core filed with water/ice. Then the tunnel would then be filled in. They would then use lasers to heat up the asteroid until it is molten. The ice inside would then expand causing the rock to expand. So it would be huge with a giant void surrounded by a thin rock shell. In the books, the rock shell end up being kilometers thick.
.S.A.M.K.M
kyli
Mi'Shara

Post by kyli »

During the attack on the main consortium fleet in Tribulation, the karinnes destroyed their interdictor in such a way that it created a "Teryon-tachyon shockwave" that destroyed the consortium string communicators and any hyperspace jump engine that was online or in stand-by mode. The point here is that the shockwave also gave off, i assume from the name, a tachyon burst. Could that be the way to destroy the syndicate QE computers? It doesnt really matter now with the fleet in the galaxy but the syndicate in Andromeda is still in play and the less communications they have, the easier they will be to defeat.... if it works.
"I got stabbed. After 10 days of agony, the sword died."
GotToGo
Da'Shar

Post by GotToGo »

Unh? Sure has grown quite around here. Let's stir the pot a little, who feels like I do that we will find out that Aria is a Karrine?
kyli
Mi'Shara

Post by kyli »

GotToGo wrote:Unh? Sure has grown quite around here. Let's stir the pot a little, who feels like I do that we will find out that Aria is a Karrine?
Well, she is a Karinne now that Jason has adopted her, but she is not an Exiled, if that is what you mean.
GotToGo
Da'Shar

Post by GotToGo »

kyli wrote:
GotToGo wrote:Unh? Sure has grown quite around here. Let's stir the pot a little, who feels like I do that we will find out that Aria is a Karrine?
Well, she is a Karinne now that Jason has adopted her, but she is not an Exiled, if that is what you mean.
Not so, I mean a full Karinne - maybe from some that escaped their original destruction, much like Jason relatives!
kyli
Mi'Shara

Post by kyli »

GotToGo wrote:
kyli wrote:
Not so, I mean a full Karinne - maybe from some that escaped their original destruction, much like Jason relatives!
I think maybe you missed this: http://forums.sennadar.com/viewtopic.ph ... 505#p33888