Conviction Chapter 10 {Spoilers}

Caution: Spoilers!
All about the Subjugation, Insurrection, and Unification books.

Moderator: Sennadar Moderators

Forum rules
Please Read the forum rules.
Hello World
Initiate

Re: Conviction Chapter 10 {Spoilers}

Post by Hello World »

SYED wrote:I wonder why house karrine limited their original upgrade to their noble family, and not to the commoners in service. They had access to their advanced tech and science, so why not the treatment.
Noble pride maybe? Remember that in the original Faey culture, commoners were fairly disillusioned with their houses and were self serving (according to Subjugation anyways). Also, I'm guessing that family members are a lot less likely to leak secrets than outsiders.
Fel
Weavespinner

Post by Fel »

They DID engineer their common populace.

The reason why not EVERYONE in the house was a Generation was because the process didn't have a 100% success rate. The success rate was actually around 40%, and the older the subject exposed to the original retrovirus, the greater the chance of rejection.

Or death.

Nearly 15% of the population of the house died during the gene therapy process. The rest of them died when the Merranes destroyed Karis and hunted down the survivors during and after the Third Civil War.
Just another guy from the shallow end of the gene pool.
SYED
Child of Niami

Post by SYED »

How come out of all the human telepaths descended from the lost expedition, only two are generations which are Jason and That Scottish girl with her memories missing. If the whole house were altered, then Tim and temika would be generations.
.S.A.M.K.M
kyli
Mi'Shara

Post by kyli »

SYED wrote:How come out of all the human telepaths descended from the lost expedition, only two are generations which are Jason and That Scottish girl with her memories missing. If the whole house were altered, then Tim and temika would be generations.
He said, they "tried" to change the everyone but not everyone changed. There was only a single generation on the ship that came to earth. The rest were all normal telepaths.
"I got stabbed. After 10 days of agony, the sword died."
Fel
Weavespinner

Post by Fel »

Correct.

After the Generation program began, the commoners that were successfully converted to Generations were awarded nobility, so they could be fully controlled for the Program; so their husbands and wives could be chosen and the selective breeding program carefully managed and controlled.

The ratio of nobles (Generations) to commoners got smaller and smaller with each successive generation, as the reproduction of the nobles was carefully controlled, where the reproduction of the commoners was not. The commoners reproduced at a higher rate, and thus, over time, the ratio of Generations to lay commoners decreased. At the time of the Third Civil War, Generations only represented about 10% of the population of House Karinne.

The scout ship that came to Terra and subsequently became the ancestors of all Terran telepaths only had one Generation aboard out of a crew of 47. That Generation, a member of the Royal Family and in direct succession for the throne no less, is Jason and Rahne's ancestor.

The number of generations referred to in the Karinne calendar is based on these Royals. Jason is the 97th Generation since Sora Karinne, directly of her line, and Rann and Jason's other children are the 98th. When Rann assumes the throne of the Grand Duke, the calendar will flip to become Year One of the 98th Generation. Before they were all killed when the Merranes destroyed Karis, other branches of the nobility had different generational tallies. Some were up to as far as the 200th generation.

But, one of the side effect of the selective breeding program instituted by the Karinnes, combined with advances in medical science, was an extended lifespan. The Grand Duchess of the 95th Generation lived nearly 300 years.

Jason himself will have double the lifespan of a normal Terran, provided he survives long enough to die of old age. Jason would already be dead had the Faey not conquered Earth. He would have died of cancer years ago. That volatility means that Songa has to keep constant watch over him, especially as he ages. When he gets older, he could conceivably develop cancer and die from it in a matter of DAYS, because of the insane way it would spread through his body once it takes hold.
Just another guy from the shallow end of the gene pool.
kyli
Mi'Shara

Post by kyli »

I used to wonder why they didn't expand their life span. I guess they did. But given that they were using Kimdori DNA, you think they would have tried to also put some regeneration abilities in the generations. Enough regeneration to heal wounds, and maybe even stop aging, but not enough to shapeshift. But that would probably have made the process even more Volatile.

Jason will probably only live as long as Jyslin anyway.... or she will live as long as him. The downside of the pair-bond. :(
SoronelHaetir
Katzh-dashi

Post by SoronelHaetir »

I am surprised the Kindori were able (and willing - perhaps even eager) to fix Jason's susceptibility to damage from a merge but not the cancer risk. Actually, given how the Generations virus works I am also surprised that Kereth was able to fix the merge issue without laying Jason out for a few days.
Hugin
Novice

Post by Hugin »

It seems like the potential dangers from the generations program would require a significant response from the Karinns. I know in the first books of the Subugation series Jason swore to never reopen the program to make generations. Based the experience of the virus restarting the program on it's own it may be time to focus on the generations technology before it reawakens more than it already has. What good could be done by understanding the program better? ... maybe a CBIM for just generations technology research? I kind of always felt that Jason was hiding hiding his head in the sand when he made the promise not to reopen the program.. Just thinking about it as our current world marches toward full on genetic manipulation of just about any living thing.... a great topic in fiction to explore just hope doesn't intrude into this reality before we are ready
SYED
Child of Niami

Post by SYED »

I know that the virus did not change everyone, but could it have left a mark on the subjects and their descendants. We have seen that a random virus managed to awaken a version of the virus here, could a similar effect happen with the descendants of thos exposed? Unlike the generations there was no simple test to figure out if the subject was one. There could be descendants lost anywhere in the imperium.

The jacks allowed for an aspect of the generation program be freely shared. This new discovery if fully examined could allow another to be freely distributed. To properly deal with this new virus issue, they would be forced to reopen the program files and research, if they wished to quickly and fully deal with the situation.
.S.A.M.K.M
Wolfee
Mi'Shara

Post by Wolfee »

Hugin wrote:It seems like the potential dangers from the generations program would require a significant response from the Karinns. I know in the first books of the Subugation series Jason swore to never reopen the program to make generations. Based the experience of the virus restarting the program on it's own it may be time to focus on the generations technology before it reawakens more than it already has. What good could be done by understanding the program better? ... maybe a CBIM for just generations technology research? I kind of always felt that Jason was hiding hiding his head in the sand when he made the promise not to reopen the program.. Just thinking about it as our current world marches toward full on genetic manipulation of just about any living thing.... a great topic in fiction to explore just hope doesn't intrude into this reality before we are ready
Far as we know Jason is "unable" to re-open the program because the Kaeri locked the files and forbade it being restarted.
kyli
Mi'Shara

Post by kyli »

Wolfee wrote: Far as we know Jason is "unable" to re-open the program because the Kaeri locked the files and forbade it being restarted.
As the Grand Duke Karinne, Jason would have the authority to access those files. I'm not saying that he would or that he will have to tho.
SYED
Child of Niami

Post by SYED »

Strictly speaking he is not restarting the breeding and augementing program, he is just using the resources and database to ensure the security of the house.
.S.A.M.K.M
kyli
Mi'Shara

Post by kyli »

So if the karinnes can build Transformers, how about an Iron Man suit? Really, i think one improvement that needs to be made in the karinne armor is the helmet. Having to take it off and carry it is soooo 15th century. ;) it needs to be made more like Tony Starks iron man suit. :D
SYED
Child of Niami

Post by SYED »

We know they are creating merge controlled units, what about animal form units able to transform into useful units? They could be used as scouts and security units.
.S.A.M.K.M
dstar
Sorcerer

Post by dstar »

kyli wrote:I used to wonder why they didn't expand their life span. I guess they did. But given that they were using Kimdori DNA, you think they would have tried to also put some regeneration abilities in the generations. Enough regeneration to heal wounds, and maybe even stop aging, but not enough to shapeshift. But that would probably have made the process even more Volatile.

Jason will probably only live as long as Jyslin anyway.... or she will live as long as him. The downside of the pair-bond. :(
I'm fairly sure that the cancer issue is actually a result of the regenerative abilities of the Kimdori trying to express themselves; it's because the malignant cells are trying to turn everything around them into them, which is exactly what would be needed for regeneration.

Hell, it's possible (it's not been mentioned, but it's entirely feasible that it's because no one in Jason's family _realized_) that Jason _does_ heal faster than a normal human, albeit not at the rate of a Kimdori.

If he gets over a sprained ankle in 3/4 the time a normal human would, no one is going to notice unless it happens often enough that they realize, 'hey, he's never been out as long as he should be'... just one or two times could be chalked up to luck.